Scientists have studied CBD for decades because of its potential health benefits, such as pain relief and mood stabilization. Recently, many have found that CBD may help several skin and hair conditions, causing an increase in its popularity. Some evidence suggests it may help hair growth and improve its appearance. Read on to learn if it may help your hair, its side effects, and how to use it.
CBD (cannabidiol) is one of many chemical compounds present in the Cannabis sativa plant.
CBD does not contain THC, so it will not get you "high." Anyone can buy it without a prescription.
CBD shampoo may help reduce inflammation, increase circulation, moisturize, lessen sebum production, destroy free radicals, and improve hair growth.
Side effects of CBD shampoo are rare and include rash, allergic reaction, redness, itching, and dryness.
CBD shampoo may benefit all hair, especially damaged, dry, brittle hair.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of several hundred chemical compounds found in the Cannabis sativa plant. Extracting CBD from the plant involves either CO2 or ethanol distillation, and both can be tricky. CBD lacks THC, the psychoactive compound in cannabis that gets you "high." Therefore, CBD is not illegal and can be bought anywhere by anyone without a prescription.
Benefits of CBD shampoo
CBD interacts with the CB1 and CB2 receptors in the skin to exert its effects. There is limited research on the benefits of CBD for hair, but it is promising. Many CBD shampoos contain other ingredients that are also beneficial to hair, such as coconut or argan oil. These combination shampoos are a great way to get more bang for your buck.
Here are some benefits of CBD shampoos:
- Reduce inflammation. CBD prevents the release of compounds that promote inflammation (pro-inflammatory cytokines). This may be especially helpful to soothe the scalp in patients with eczema or dandruff.
- Increase circulation. CBD may increase nitric oxide in the blood, which dilates blood vessels to increase circulation. This may be helpful for people who are trying to grow more hair or longer hair.
- Improve moisture. CBD has fatty acids, which may help hydrate the skin and hair. By increasing hair's hydration, it can make hair soft and silky while protecting it from breakage.
- Decrease sebum production. CBD binds to receptors that decrease sebum production. This may help patients who have greasy hair and acne.
- Improve hair growth. CBD contains nutrients, like fatty acids and amino acids, that better. These amino acids are building blocks for protein in hair.
- Combat free radicals. CBD works on certain receptors to exert its antioxidant properties. Antioxidants destroy free radicals emitted from the sun that damage the hair.
Side effects of CBD shampoo
There are few side effects associated with CBD shampoo. It is considered relatively safe. If you have sensitive skin or are unsure whether your skin will tolerate CBD shampoo, you can try a test spot first. People who are pregnant or breastfeeding should avoid using CBD shampoo. Most potential side effects of CBD shampoo are skin-related. Only rarely have systemic side effects been reported with topical CBD, such as diarrhea or drowsiness.
Here are some potential side effects of CBD shampoo:
- Allergic reaction
What hair types benefit most from CBD shampoo?
Everyone can benefit from CBD shampoo. In fact, men seem to have better hair growth results with CBD than women. However, people with dry, brittle hair or curly hair benefit most from CBD shampoo. CBD shampoo can help improve the appearance of damaged hair with split ends. CBD contains fatty acids, which hydrate and protect the hair from breakage and damage. It can give hair a radiant glow. Curly hair is very fragile, and CBD shampoo can help protect it.
CBD shampoo is available in various formulas specific to different hair types. There are color-safe formulas that contain no harsh chemicals to strip the color if you dye your hair. If you have thin, fine hair, look for CBD shampoo with silicones to help hair look thicker. Patients with dandruff can benefit from CBD shampoo with tea tree oil or salicylic acid. If you have a dry scalp, look for CBD shampoo with argan or jojoba oil. Patients with curly hair may benefit from CBD shampoo with argan or coconut oil.
How do I use CBD shampoo?
You can use CBD shampoo two or three times a week. It is best to lather it on your hair and scalp and leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes to improve penetration. After rinsing, you can apply your conditioner and style normally. Some even use it every day. Be sure to select a reputable brand of CBD shampoo. Try to avoid shampoos with sulfates, parabens, fragrances, dyes, and alcohol that could damage your hair and scalp.
Follow these steps when using CBD shampoo:
- Wet your hair.
- Apply CBD shampoo, work up a good lather, and massage it into the scalp.
- Leave it on for 5–10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair.
- Apply conditioner.
- Style normally.
Other hair care products with CBD
CBD can be found in other hair care products, such as conditioners, hair masks, leave-in treatments, detanglers, oils, and serums. These products may contain other hair-nourishing ingredients to give an added boost to your hair. Many use several CBD hair products at the same time for potential added benefits; however, there is no research yet to support this claim. It is possible that using too many products with CBD could irritate the skin. Try a test spot first.
While CBD shampoos seem promising, more large-scale research will help determine the full extent of their medicinal value and the exact dose required for maximum benefits and minimal side effects. CBD shampoos appear relatively safe for all hair types with minimal to no side effects. Preliminary studies show improvement in hair growth and appearance. If you are unsure which product to use, ask your dermatologist for guidance.
Can I make CBD shampoo at home?
Yes, some make their own CBD shampoo at home. Many combine it with coconut, argan, or jojoba oil to enhance the results. Others add a few drops of CBD oil to their normal shampoo.
Will CBD shampoo get me "high?"
No, CBD shampoo will not get you "high." CBD does not contain the psychoactive compound THC, which is responsible for the "high" found in smoking weed. That is why anyone can buy CBD without a prescription.
Does CBD shampoo give you a positive drug test?
No, CBD shampoo should not give you a positive drug test because it should not enter the bloodstream. Also, drug tests do not look for CBD. Even if minute traces of THC contaminated your CBD shampoo, it should not enter the bloodstream.
- Cannabis. Hair Regrowth with Cannabidiol (CBD)-rich Hemp Extract - A Case Series.
- International Journal of Trichology. Hair Regrowth with Novel Hemp Extract: A Case Series.
- Clinical, Cosmetic, and Investigational Dermatology. Therapeutic Potential of Cannabidiol (CBD) for Skin Health and Disorders.