After an exhausting day, you are ready to unwind and treat yourself with fantastic skincare that uses natural ingredients. Why not go for an avocado face mask? Avocado is a food product that contains beneficial vitamins and minerals for the entire body, including your skin. This article can give you insight into the benefits of avocado and a quick and simple face mask recipe that lets you relax and replenish your skin.
Avocado contains nutritional advantages such as healthy fats, vitamins, and antioxidants.
Avocado may benefit the skin in moisturization, elasticity, firmness, anti-aging, and preventing skin damage.
Skin allergy is a potential risk when using avocado for skin care. Speaking with an allergist or doing patch testing at home is helpful before applying an avocado face mask.
Nutrients found in avocado
Avocados originate from Mexico and Central America. They are a fruit that contains a healthy portion of unsaturated fats. Avocados have many nutrients, including:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin E
Benefits of avocado for skin health
Avocados offer many skin benefits, including:
- Moisturizes and hydrates. Avocados contain sufficient vitamins and elements to hydrate and moisten the skin barrier. For instance, vitamin E is naturally in the skin's oil secretion. Applying avocado to the skin barrier adds yet another moisturizing dose.
- Increases skin elasticity and firmness. Avocados may improve skin firmness and elasticity, based on an experimental study that showed significant improvement in skin firmness after eight weeks of daily avocado consumption.
- Prevents skin damage. Avocados contain fatty molecules known as polyhydroxylated fatty alcohols. A study extracted these molecules from the avocado seed and evaluated its effects on skin exposed to ultraviolet rays (UVB). Researchers identified that these fatty molecules reduce inflammation in skin cells damaged by UVB.
- Promotes anti-aging. Researchers also claim that avocados may improve the appearance of wrinkles. For instance, another study using 20 participants noticed their wrinkles around the smile lines reduced after using a topical cream that contained avocado oil and saffron extract for 12 weeks.
Tips for an avocado face mask
You can purchase avocado face masks in-store or create one at home. While there are many products and recipes for making your avocado face mask, it's essential to note your skin type and what benefits you want your skin to gain from it.
Some in-store products include face sheets, clay masks, or generic creams. When choosing a face mask from the store, look for products that target areas of the skin you want to address. Look for humectant ingredients such as hyaluronic acid or glycerin for a hydrating mask.
You can also look for avocado oil, olive oil, shea butter, or cocoa butter. These substances help to provide extra moisture to soften the skin. To adjust a dull or uneven skin tone, you can look for additional ingredients such as vitamin C or fruit extracts from foods that help brighten the skin, such as pineapple, watermelon, or lemon.
Be mindful that in-store products may include chemical ingredients that might not work well with sensitive skin types. If you are looking for a natural face mask, you can make one from home. A do-it-yourself (DIY) face mask allows you to customize the recipe.
For instance, if you want a skin glow, you can combine avocado with natural ingredients such as turmeric powder, cucumber, honey, or lemon. You can combine avocado with oats in the recipe to exfoliate the skin. Whether going for a pre-made face mask or crafting your own, always handle your skin carefully when applying a new product.
Avocado brightening face mask recipe
You can try this easy avocado face mask recipe. The recipe not only includes avocado, but it also consists of lemon juice, containing vitamin C to brighten the skin tone, and raw honey, which can serve as an antioxidant and help to remove dead skin cells. To make the face mask:
- Peel and scoop half of a ripe avocado into a bowl.
- Add one tablespoon of raw honey.
- Pour one tablespoon of lemon juice. You can also add water if you prefer a liquid consistency.
- Mix the ingredients.
- Before applying the product, wash your hands and cleanse the skin. Cleansing the skin is a must because it helps remove any dirt or bacteria on the skin.
- Use a headband to keep hair away from any product. Apply the mask to the facial skin using your hands or a makeup brush. Avoid lip and eye areas when applying.
- Keep the face mask on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the face mask by washing the skin with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Follow up with your regular skincare routine.
Risks when using avocado
It may sound rare, but allergies to avocados are still possible. Avocado allergies can relate to latex-fruit syndrome. It is the link between a latex allergy and a plant-derived food allergy. According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, 30 to 50 percent of individuals with a latex allergy also possess latex-fruit syndrome. The association lists avocados as a food likely to cause a reaction if you have a latex allergy.
If you are concerned you may be allergic to avocados, speak with an allergist for further insight and possible testing. You can also perform a patch test at home. You can apply a small amount of your avocado face mask recipe to an area that will not be washed off, such as your inner arm. Monitor the site for 24 hours for any redness, swelling, itching, or burning sensation.
Using an avocado face mask can provide numerous benefits for your skin. Its natural and nourishing properties can moisturize, brighten, and improve the overall appearance of your skin. With regular use, you can achieve a healthy and glowing complexion.
Is it better to use regular avocado or avocado oil?
Many cosmetics include avocado oil in their ingredients. While avocado oil possesses healthy fats and nutrients, you can gain more overall nutrients from a regular avocado. Avocado oil can also be helpful in a face mask recipe if you are not into a chunky formula and favor a lighter element. Therefore, it comes down to your preference.
How often should I use my avocado face mask?
Generally, all skin types can benefit from avocado face masks. However, overuse of the face mask can cause skin irritation and dryness, so it is essential to avoid overuse. For optimal results, you can attempt to use an avocado face mask once to twice weekly.
Can I leave my avocado face mask on overnight?
No. Keep it on the skin for 15 to 20 minutes. The ingredients can dry out the skin if it remains in place for an extended period. Additionally, leaving the face mask overnight can get messy with dirtying pillowcases and sheets.
- Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. Avocado consumption increased skin elasticity and firmness in women - a pilot study.
- Archives of Dermatological Research. Polyhydroxylated fatty alcohols derived from avocado suppress inflammatory response and provide non-sunscreen protection against UV-induced damage in the skin cells.
- Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. Preparation and evaluation of anti-wrinkle cream containing saffron extract and avocado oil.
- Harvard T.H. Chan. Avocados.