Smooth skin after hair removal is a satisfying feeling. However, current methods of hair removal can be painful and costly. It's not surprising that crystal hair erasers are becoming a popular cosmetic tool for hair removal on social media. Before you make a purchase, let's explore crystal hair erasers more in-depth - do they really work?
Crystal hair erasers use nano-crystalline technology for hair removal.
Crystal hair erasers are trending because they are affordable, easy to use, durable, and pain-free.
Crystal hair erasers can remove hair, but they are less effective than most claim because results can vary from person to person.
Skin irritation and abrasions are potential side effects when using crystal hair erasers.
What are crystal hair erasers?
Crystal hair erasers are small, hand-held devices that have a flat surface on one side with etched glass. Instead of pulling or tugging, the tool exfoliates the skin to remove hair on the skin's surface. It does not impact the root of the hair. The flat surface of crystal hair erasers rubs directly on the skin, causing the hairs to clump together and come off. They offer a gentle way to remove unwanted hair.
Benefits of crystal hair erasers
Despite their lack of evidence, these devices are becoming popular due to their compelling benefits.
- Painless treatment. Crystal hair erasers provide a gentle, hypoallergenic alternative to traditional hair removal methods like shaving or waxing. They claim to prevent cuts and reduce irritation, making them ideal for all skin types.
- Affordable. Crystal hair erasers can range anywhere from $5 to $70. It operates without the use of batteries or charging. Some manufacturers even include a set of erasers with their purchases.
- Durable. The maintenance and care of crystal hair erasers are hassle-free and long-lasting. Manufacturers indicate a well-kept crystal hair eraser is good for three years.
Common skin concerns from hair removal
Crystal hair eraser is suitable for most skin types. Users should watch for strawberry legs, ingrown hairs, and razor burns, common skin concerns that can arise from hair removal. These skin concerns can be uncomfortable and seen with traditional hair removal methods like shaving or waxing. Using a crystal hair eraser may not guarantee to help alleviate or prevent these conditions.
Strawberry legs have pores clogged with bacteria, dead skin, and oil. Poor shaving techniques can often lead to the formation of strawberry legs. Crystal hair erasers help to exfoliate the skin. Exfoliating can remove dead skin cells and debris to unclog pores, allowing new hairs to grow without getting trapped under the skin.
Ingrown hairs are small, inflamed bumps on the skin that appear due to tweezing, waxing, and shaving. As hair stands grow, they curl back into the skin. Exfoliating also helps to remove dead skin and release ingrown hairs.
Razor burns are skin irritations that appear after shaving caused by shaving with an old razor blade when the skin is dry or shaving too quickly. Afterward, a blotchy red rash can appear on the skin in a few hours or days. With a crystal hair eraser, you apply light pressure and short strokes to reduce skin irritation.
How to use crystal hair erasers
Always follow the instructions given by the manufacturer. These are the general steps on how to use your crystal hair eraser:
- Avoid using harsh soaps, hot water, or exfoliating products before using your crystal hair eraser to avoid skin irritation.
- Make sure your skin is clean and free from moisturizers and body oil to enable the device's effectiveness.
- Place the device on the skin and rub it in a circular motion with light pressure.
- Afterward, wash the skin with cool water.
- Pat the skin dry with a clean towel. Avoid vigorous rubbing.
- Apply a repair barrier-protectant cream to the skin.
- Rinse the crystal hair eraser under clean water after each use.
- Store the device in a clean, dry area away from sunlight.
Do crystal hair erasers work?
Even though crystal hair erasers can remove hair, they are not as effective as most claim. Results can vary from person to person. In addition, the majority of reviews on crystal hair erasers comes from manufacturers and consumer reviews.
Drawbacks of crystal hair erasers
With any product or cosmetic device, there are limitations to crystal hair erasers:
- Time-consuming. Crystal hair erasers can remove hair, but to see any results, they take time and patience. To remove hair completely, multiple passes will be needed.
- Messy. Exfoliating dry skin creates a buildup of skin cells. It can collect on your clothing and bathroom floors. Therefore, it is recommended to use crystal hair erasers in a bathtub or shower to rinse afterward.
- Abrasive. Even though crystal hair erasers target a pain-free experience for their consumers, these devices are still risky. Overusing the tool or applying too much pressure can lead to skin irritation and abrasions. Erasers can increase the loss of natural oils and further dry out the skin, causing discomfort and redness.
Side effects of crystal hair erasers
While the crystal hair erasers may sound like miracle workers, they have potential risks. Possible side effects include skin irritation and abrasions. Too many passes could cause skin irritation. Applying too much pressure could lead to scrapes on the skin. People with dry and sensitive skin types should test a small area before using the device on a larger surface area.
Furthermore, do not use crystal hair erasers on the face, bikini lines, or skin folds such as the underarms. Although most erasers indicate they can treat any area of the body, these areas of the skin are delicate and more susceptible to skin irritation. Additionally, it is advisable to avoid using crystal hair erasers on compromised skin barriers like sunburns or open wounds.
A crystal hair eraser is a convenient hair removal device. Because of their affordability, easy maintenance, and user-friendliness, crystal hair erasers are popular in the market. However, the results of using this hair removal device may vary from person to person, and like every other hair removal method, it comes with a risk. All in all, it is worth considering alternative options before investing in crystal hair erasers.
Can I use shaving cream with crystal hair erasers?
No. Shaving creams or gels can reduce the effectiveness of crystal hair erasers. Your skin should be dry or a little damp for treatment.
How often should I use a crystal hair eraser?
Give your skin ample time to reset after treatment. Allow at least 48 hours before using your crystal hair remover. For best results, you can use crystal hair erasers once to twice a week. Refrain from using the eraser more than the recommended frequency from the manufacturer. Overuse can lead to skin irritation.
Does hair grow back after using a crystal hair eraser?
Yes. Crystal hair erasers exfoliate and remove the hair only on the skin's surface and do not impact the root of the hair. Some manufacturers share that you can expect hair growth in a few days or weeks, depending on each individual.