Tallow-based skincare is known to have exceptional antimicrobial properties and is packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that are known to be beneficial to the skin’s surface.
Tallow-based skincare is made up of rendered animal fat and is full of vitamins and minerals.
Most tallow in skincare products comes from cattle. This sustainable option is suitable for your skin and is environmentally friendly.
Tallow can treat and help with various skincare issues, from redness, acne, and hyperpigmentation to dry skin, eczema, and even infant diaper rash.
Tallow is bioidentical to our skin sebum, therefore, has little chance of reaction or allergy. It’s always best to test a small area before an all-over application.
This natural skincare product can be added to almost any morning routine to provide nourishing benefits for everything from eczema to under-eye circles.
What is beef tallow?
Beef tallow is beef fat that has been rendered (cooked down) to remove any impurities. After this product is cooled, the manufacturers are left with a thickened product that can be added to creams, lotions, makeup products, or even used in cooking.
Tallow skincare is not a new concept. It dates back hundreds of years, when men and women would use tallow to nourish dry skin and treat wounds. This super-boosted product is bioidentical to our skin’s oil secretion, sebum, and will not clog pores or cause irritation when applied.
Nutrients present in beef tallow
Tallow is mainly made up of triglycerides and is high in vitamins A, D, E, and K. Tallow can help soothe and treat everything from eczema and burns to diaper rash and can also be made into high-quality skincare products such as anti-aging creams and serums.
Tallow contains omega-3 fatty acids, which benefit the skin’s surface. It also offers other benefits from essential acids, such as oleic acid, palmitic acid, and stearic acid, which all help aid in skin hydration and overall appearance.
Benefits of tallow skincare
Tallow skincare can help with a wide range of skin concerns, including:
- Prevention of acne. Although it may sound counterproductive, using a tallow on the skin for acne breakouts is very effective. Tallow has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties to help soothe irritated skin. It is also bioidentical to our naturally produced sebum. It will not clog pores or cause irritation, as it is very low on the cosmogenic scale, ranking lower than coconut oil. Tallow is high in conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which can help soothe and decrease redness in irritated or acne-prone skin.
- Soothe dry skin and eczema. Tallow is known to have active, naturally occurring antimicrobial properties called palmitoleic acid, similar to those found in human skin. These properties are known to help heal and treat eczema and wounds. The product can be directly applied to any area of the body to provide natural soothing and comfort.
- Help to heal scars. Tallow is naturally packed full of vitamins and minerals that can aid in the skin’s healing process. The product can be applied to any area, including facial areas with acne scars, to help rejuvenate the skin and balance the skin surface to help reduce the appearance of scars over time.
- Reverse the signs of aging skin. Tallow is known to contain vitamin E, an important fat-soluble antioxidant. Vitamin E protects the skin from harmful UV radiation from the sun, reducing signs of aging, fine lines, and wrinkles. Tallow mimics the skin’s natural sebum and, therefore, can help “plump” the skin and approve the appearance of dark spots and crow’s feet. This helps the skin to appear more youthful.
- Prevent and heal diaper rash. Because tallow is natural and organic, it can be used for a variety of reasons, including the treatment of skin rashes such as diaper rash. When applied to an infant’s bottom, tallow can help soothe irritated skin and also become a barrier-like cream to prevent rashes from occurring.
How to apply tallow skincare products
Tallow is used to make a range of high-quality skincare products, including bar soap, lip balm, and anti-aging skin creams. Tallow is very versatile and can be applied in various ways depending on the product:
- Creams and lotions. Tallow is known to have more prominent size molecules; therefore, it’s best to apply tallow creams over top of oils and serums. This helps lock in the effects and will absorb slower than oils. Tallow creams and lotions can come in various types, such as anti-aging creams and moisturizers.
- Barrier creams. Tallow barrier creams used to treat diaper rash or eczema can be applied with a light layer over the affected area. Be sure not to rub, but apply gently in a circular motion to help absorb and reduce skin irritation.
- Soaps. One of the great things about tallow soaps is that they make a great lather. Usually combined with fats, such as goat’s milk, these bars give a lavish lather and can be used with a cloth to apply all over the body safely and effectively.
Tallow skincare – things to consider
While tallow skincare is safe to use, there are some downsides to consider:
- Allergic reactions. It is uncommon to have an allergy to tallow skincare; however, tallow should be avoided if there is a chance or history of an allergy to beef products. It’s always best to test a small area on the neck or behind the ear before using the products all over. If an allergy does occur, follow up with a medical doctor.
- Shelf life. Most tallow products on the market today have a shelf life of 6–12 months. Tallow skincare products are not recommended to be used past their expiry date. Some websites suggest keeping tallow skincare products in the fridge between use.
- Price. Due to the nature of tallow, most companies make the products in small batches; therefore, the price can be a factor if trying to save money on a skincare routine. Generally ranging from $20–60 USD, the price can be slightly higher than the average skincare product.
Tallow skincare is a safe, effective, and a sustainable skincare option that can be used in various ways, including skin creams, barrier creams, and soaps. Tallow may be a great addition if you’re looking to add a new, natural product to your skincare line.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked