If you are looking for a more holistic approach to maintaining oral health, natural mouthwash may be for you. These mouthwashes harness the inherent goodness of botanical extracts, essential oils, and other naturally derived ingredients. Natural mouthwash is gentle yet practical and offers a rejuvenating way to cleanse and protect oral health.
Natural mouthwash is an excellent alternative to conventional mouthwash for those looking to avoid added chemicals and artificial ingredients.
Natural mouthwashes formulated with gentle, plant-based ingredients avoid harsh chemicals such as alcohol, artificial colors, and synthetic flavors.
Making natural mouthwash at home is fun and gives you complete control over your recipes.
Since natural mouthwashes typically avoid harsh chemicals and artificial ingredients, they are considered safe for the whole family.
Join us as we dive into the wonders of natural mouthwash and discover how it can elevate your oral hygiene experience to a new level of freshness and vitality.
What is natural mouthwash?
Natural mouthwash is an excellent alternative to for those looking to avoid added chemicals and artificial ingredients. Natural mouthwashes contain various natural components such as plant extracts, essential oils, and minerals that benefit oral health. These ingredients combat bad breath, reduce plaque, and prevent tartar buildup. This helps promote a healthy balance of oral bacteria and maintain a healthier mouth.
Common ingredients in conventional mouthwash
Different types of conventional mouthwashes utilize a variety of active ingredients based on their specific intended functions. Here are some of the most common active ingredients you might find:
- Cetylpyridinium chloride
These ingredients offer beneficial properties for combating bad breath, reducing the risk of cavities, and promoting oral hygiene. However, some individuals may experience side effects like fungal infections, staining of the teeth or tongue, ulcers, or a dry mouth.
Reasons to choose natural mouthwash
When it comes to maintaining oral hygiene, choosing the right mouthwash is crucial. If you're considering making the switch, here are five reasons to opt for a natural mouthwash:
- Gentle and chemical-free. Natural mouthwashes formulated with gentle, plant-based ingredients avoid harsh chemicals such as alcohol, artificial colors, and synthetic flavors. This makes them milder and less likely to cause irritation or sensitivity.
- Eco-friendly. Natural mouthwashes often come in environmentally friendly packaging from sustainably sourced ingredients. By opting for natural options, you reduce your carbon footprint and support a healthier planet.
- Holistic approach. Natural mouthwashes often harness the power of botanical extracts and essential oils for their natural antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. These ingredients can help provide a more holistic approach to oral care while promoting a healthy mouth and fresher breath.
- Allergen-friendly. Individuals with sensitivities or allergies to certain chemicals or ingredients in conventional mouthwashes may find natural alternatives safer. Natural mouthwashes are typically free from artificial fragrances, dyes, and most potential allergens.
- Sustainable. Choosing natural options encourages responsible sourcing, promotes cruelty-free practices, and aligns with a more conscious approach to personal care.
Making natural mouthwash at home
While grabbing a bottle at the store is easy, so is creating your natural mouthwash. Making natural mouthwash at home is fun and gives you complete control over your recipes. You can try several simple recipes using everyday household items and natural ingredients to create an effective natural mouthwash for your oral care needs.
Here are some of the most common ingredients used in a homemade mouth rinse:
Essential oils offer refreshing flavors and potential oral health benefits. Certain essential oils, such as peppermint, spearmint, cinnamon, and clove, are commonly used to help freshen your breath. Studies show mint oils may possess antimicrobial properties that can help maintain gingival health by lowering plaque accumulations in the mouth. This helps reduce the risk of cavities and gum disease.
Aloe vera is a wonderful addition to homemade natural mouthwash due to its natural anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Studies show aloe vera has many beneficial uses in dentistry, like:
- Treating oral lichen planus
- Healing aphthous ulcers faster
- Treating gingivitis and periodontitis
- Disinfecting dentures and dental appliances
- Controlling bacteria around dental implants
Incorporating aloe vera juice into your mouth rinse recipe can provide a refreshing and gentle solution that supports a healthier mouth and fresher breath.
Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, is common in homemade natural mouthwash recipes. This naturally alkaline substance helps prevent enamel demineralization while enhancing remineralization. When used in moderation and properly diluted, baking soda can be a beneficial addition to homemade natural mouth rinses. It gives your mouth a fresh feeling, reduces the risk of cavities, is cost-effective, and helps promote oral health.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is popular in homemade natural mouth rinses. Studies show vinegar may have a positive effect on reducing oral bacteria for up to 24 hours, as well as stabilizing the oral pH. This helps reduce plaque build-up, which lowers the risk of gingivitis and gum disease. Apple cider vinegar can also help prevent bad breath. However, it is essential to dilute apple cider vinegar properly to reduce the risk of tooth erosion due to acidity.
Salt is a common household ingredient. Its natural disinfectant properties can help kill harmful bacteria in the mouth. Saltwater rinses have been used for centuries to help soothe oral tissues and alleviate mouth sores. Studies show salt water rinses can help prevent plaque from building up on the tongue, one of the top reasons for bad breath. However, it's important to use salt in moderation and not to swallow the mouth rinse, as excessive salt concentration may irritate the mouth or cause oral tissues to dry.
Neem, also known as Azadirachta indica, is a popular ingredient in mouth rinses due to its strong antibacterial properties. Studies show neem oil is beneficial in combating oral bacteria that cause tooth decay and gum disease. Neem oil is also great to help soothe sore, bleedy gums. Adding neem extract or neem oil to your homemade mouth rinse can improve oral health and create a clean mouth.
DIY mouth rinse recipe
Here is a list of ingredients for your DIY mouth rinse:
|2 tsp||Baking soda|
|1 drop||Tea tree oil|
|2 drops||Peppermint oil|
|1/2 cup||Warm water|
|1 tsp||Neem oil|
Follow these few easy steps to mix and use the mouth rinse solution:
- Mix baking soda, tea tree oil, and peppermint oil in warm water.
- Slowly add in neem oil and mix thoroughly.
- Swish for 20–30 seconds.
- Repeat 1–2 times daily for a healthier mouth.
Additionally, you can also incorporate 1 teaspoon of salt or a few drops of essential oils, like spearmint, cinnamon, or clove.
Cost of a natural mouthwash
Making natural mouthwash at home can be more cost-effective than purchasing commercial options. Many ingredients used in homemade mouthwash recipes are readily available and affordable, such as water, baking soda, and essential oils. Some of the benefits of making your own mouthwash include:
- You have control over the quality and quantity of the ingredients.
- It's specific to your preferences and oral care needs.
- It can be fun and creative.
- Adds a personal touch to your oral care routine.
While the cost savings may vary depending on the ingredients chosen, the satisfaction of using a homemade, natural product that aligns with your values and promotes oral health can make it worthwhile for many individuals.
Tips for making a natural mouth rinse
Here are ten helpful tips to keep in mind when making natural mouthwash at home:
- Research and select ingredients. Familiarize yourself with different natural ingredients and their oral health benefits. Choose ingredients that suit your preferences and address your specific oral care needs.
- Dilute essential oils properly. Essential oils are potent, so it's crucial to dilute them properly to avoid irritation. Follow recommended dilution ratios and guidelines provided by reputable sources.
- Patch test. Before using any new ingredient, perform a patch skin test on a small area to check for allergic reactions or sensitivities.
- Use filtered water. Utilize filtered or distilled water to ensure the purity of your mouthwash and avoid introducing impurities.
- Measure ingredients. Maintain consistency by accurately measuring the quantities of ingredients used. This will help achieve desired results and avoid any imbalance.
- Store properly. Keep your homemade mouthwash in an airtight container in a cool, dark place to maintain its freshness and efficacy.
- Shake well before use. Natural ingredients may separate over time, so give your mouthwash a good shake before each use to ensure even distribution.
- Start with small batches. When experimenting with new recipes, start with small batches to test the effectiveness and suitability of the mouthwash for your oral care routine.
- Seek professional advice. If you have specific oral health concerns or conditions, consult a dentist or healthcare professional before using homemade mouthwash to ensure its compatibility with your needs.
- Monitor shelf life. Natural mouthwashes may have a shorter shelf life than commercial ones. Regularly check for signs of spoilage or expiration and discard accordingly.
Remember, natural mouthwash can be a beneficial addition to your oral care routine, but it's important to use it responsibly and maintain good oral hygiene practices alongside its use.
Natural mouthwash is family friendly
Since natural mouthwashes typically avoid harsh chemicals and artificial ingredients, they are considered safe for the whole family. These mouthwashes are typically milder and less likely to cause adverse reactions and irritation, making them an excellent option for children, individuals with sensitivities, and anyone who prefers a gentler approach to oral care.
Natural mouthwash's gentle yet effective ingredients provide a safer and more sustainable option for your entire family. When incorporated into a comprehensive oral care routine, natural mouthwash can be used once or twice daily, following regular brushing and flossing. So, embrace nature's goodness and enjoy a fresh, healthier smile with the benefits of natural mouthwash.
- Therapeutic Advances in Drug Safety. Adverse events associated with home use of mouthrinses: a systematic review.
- Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. Comparison of the efficacy of herbal mouth rinse with commercially available mouth rinses: A clinical trial.
- Journal of Taibah University Medical Sciences. Aloe vera mouthwashes can be a natural alternative to chemically formulated ones – A randomized-controlled trial.
- Journal of Indian Orthodontic Society. Effectiveness of an Essential Oil Mouthwash in Maintaining Proper Oral Health in Orthodontic Patients—An In Vivo Study.
- National Journal of Maxillofacial Surgery. The effect of sodium bicarbonate oral rinse on salivary pH and oral microflora: A prospective cohort study.
Show all references
- Journal of Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry. Comparative evaluation of salt water rinse with chlorhexidine against oral microbes: A school-based randomized controlled trial.
- International Journal of Dental Hygiene. Effectiveness of Azadirachta indica (neem) mouthrinse in plaque and gingivitis control: a systematic review.