In today's fast-paced world, the allure of enhancing brain functionality has ushered in innovative tools like neurofeedback devices.
Designed to visualize and potentially modulate brain activity, these devices strive to offer individuals the promise of improved cognitive performance and mental well-being.
Especially noteworthy is the rise of neurofeedback at home devices, bridging advanced neuroscience with everyday self-improvement.
But with the myriad of choices in 2023, which ones truly stand out? Let's delve into our picks of the best neurofeedback devices to use at home.
Best neurofeedback device: a shortlist
- Mendi — best neurofeedback device for real-time prefrontal cortex monitoring
- Sens.ai — best for personalized neurofeedback training at home
- Muse — best comprehensive neurofeedback device for meditation and sleep
- BrainTap — best multi-sensory brain training device for relaxation
- NeuroSky — most affordable entry-level neurofeedback device for at home use
How we ranked the best at home neurofeedback devices
After meticulous research and evaluation, we have narrowed down the most crucial criteria for determining the best neurofeedback equipment for home use:
|Technology||fNIRS, EEG, visual light therapy, or tPBM|
|Mobile application||Customizable settings and a selection of different routines|
|Time efficiency||5–20 minutes per session|
- Technology. The foundation of any neurofeedback device is the technology it employs, whether it is: functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS), electroencephalography (EEG), visual light therapy, or transcranial photobiomodulation (tPBM).
- Mobile application. Having a robust and user-friendly mobile application can significantly enhance the user experience. It is vital to consider if the device offers compatibility with various platforms, ensuring accessibility for all users.
- Pricing. While the effectiveness of a device is paramount, its cost is also a significant factor for many users. It is essential to evaluate if the device offers value for its price, ensuring that users get the maximum benefit for their investment.
- Time efficiency. The duration required for a session can vary across devices. Understanding how long a session is needed to extract maximum value from the training ensures that users can integrate neurofeedback into their routines efficiently.
Best neurofeedback devices in 2023: overview
As we step further into the digital age, the realm of neurofeedback has flourished, bringing forth plenty of devices tailored for home use.
These gadgets and their manufacturers tend to promise enhanced cognitive prowess, relaxation, and improved sleep, among other benefits. But with so many choices available, which ones genuinely make the mark?
In this section, we delve into the standout neurofeedback devices of 2023, evaluating them based on rigorous criteria to guide your selection journey.
1. Mendi — neurofeedback device to enhance executive functions in real-time
Harnessing the advanced fNIRS technology, the Mendi Headset offers real-time insights into your brain's oxygenated blood flow within the prefrontal cortex.
Through an engaging neurofeedback game, users engage in training their brain by visualizing their neural activity, aiming to elevate a ball and garner points — a direct reflection of active brain engagement.
The Mendi Score encapsulates your progress, offering a comprehensive view of your training trajectory.
According to Mendi manufacturers, it is handcrafted with Swedish precision and this device ensures top-tier signal quality, rivaling some laboratory equipment. Versatile by design, Mendi pairs effortlessly with both iOS and Android, welcoming multiple users to benefit from its features. 1 charge of a rechargeable battery contains 60 sessions, which are recommended to take 3 days per week, 15-20 minutes per session.
Included in the package are the Mendi headband, a charging cable, and a free brain health app. Priced competitively, currently at $299, Mendi claims optimal brain training value, reinforced by a 100% money-back assurance.
2. Sens.ai — emphasis on personalized neuro-enhancement
Sens.ai presents the first-of-its-kind at-home brain training device, combining the power of neurofeedback with advanced light stimulation technology, heart coherence biofeedback, and an in-depth brain function assessment, enhanced with superior meditation training options.
This 5-in-1 system offers users a complete regimen with three core features: Boost, to enhance mood and cognition via light energy; Train, a clinically-developed feedback tool; and Assess, which evaluates brain processing speed, accuracy, and other metrics.
The Sens.ai app, compatible with the headset, offers over 12 program sessions, each spanning 15–20 minutes, which can be experienced individually or within one of the 16 available Missions. These programs are complemented by soundscapes and meditations.
Crafted for comfort, the headset boasts proprietary brainwave sensors without the need for pastes, a high-accuracy heart rate sensor, and 7 LED lights for personalized photobiomodulation.
Available at a promotional price of $1195, the Sens.ai package includes the custom Bluetooth headset, GeniusPulse Controller, and a 1-year membership.
3. Muse — successfully combines EEG with guided meditation sessions
Muse S (Gen 2) headset is a perfect tool for those seeking to mitigate daily stress, enhance meditation practices, improve sleep, or simply lead a more present, relaxed life.
Utilizing EEG sensors, Muse captures your brain's activity, translating it into soothing audio feedback that mirrors your state of mind. The real-time responses range from the serene sound of calm weather for a relaxed mind to the tempestuous nature of a storm for an active one.
Its design is complemented by a plush, breathable fabric, ensuring comfort. A powerful, rechargeable battery promises 10 continuous hours of use. Furthermore, Muse boasts a heart rate detection feature and provides an array of meditation styles — from focusing on your heartbeat to mastering your breathing rhythm.
The accompanying mobile app is brimming with over 500 expert-led guided meditations and premium programs. And for those who have a preferred meditation platform, Muse conveniently pairs with a multitude of other apps.
Muse S (Gen 2) is currently retailing at $399.99.
4. BrainTap — a perfect combination of auditory and visual stimulation
Disclaimer: it is essential to clarify that BrainTap is not a neurofeedback device. Instead, it operates as a brain training or brainwave entrainment tool, designed to optimize and harmonize brainwave activity for improved function.
The BrainTap headset, paired with the dedicated BrainTap app, offers a revolutionary approach to brain fitness.
Utilizing a powerful combination of light and sound, this technology is meticulously crafted to potentially sharpen cognitive function, alleviate stress, and enhance concentration. Those seeking rejuvenating sleep may benefit from the headset's synergy of sound and light, promoting deep, restorative rest.
The app, compatible with both iOS and Android, boasts over 2000 guided audio programs, transforming meditation into a personalized experience. The headset itself is designed for user comfort and mobility with a foldable design and a battery life extending up to 5 hours.
Whether you aim to elevate professional performance, academic success, or merely enhance daily well-being, BrainTap offers an all-in-one solution to optimize brain function and overall mental wellness.
The bundle, priced at $907, includes a 1-year subscription with a $100 annual subscription renewal discount and a guaranteed price-lock.
5. NeuroSky — a cost-effective solution for an at-home device
The NeuroSky MindWave Mobile 2 is a cutting-edge brainwave-sensing EEG headset, designed after years of research into biosensor technology.
Ideal for enthusiasts keen on tapping into the power of their mind, this EEG headset makes it possible to visualize and interpret brainwave signals seamlessly.
Paired with over 100 apps from the NeuroSky App Store, this device promises a diverse range of applications encompassing games, wellness, education, and even neuroscience.
The headset captures and outputs a broad spectrum of EEG waves and can run for up to 8 hours with a single AAA battery. Compatible with various platforms like Windows, iOS, and Android, it makes brainwave reading an accessible venture for all.
Priced affordably, at $129.99, the MindWave Mobile 2 stands out as a comfortable wearable, boasting flexible rubber sensor arms, a rounded forehead sensor, and an ergonomic T-shaped headband for optimal user experience.
Comparison of the best neurofeedback devices of 2023
|Product||Price||Battery life||Neurofeedback and brain training technology||Our pick for|
|Mendi||$299.00||Covers 60 sessions||fNIRS||best neurofeedback device for real-time prefrontal cortex monitoring|
|Sens.ai||$1195.00||Not specified||High-fidelity brainwave sensors and tPBM stimulation||Best for personalized neurofeedback training at home|
|Muse||$399.99||10 hours||EEG||Best comprehensive neurofeedback device for meditation and sleep|
|BrainTap||$907.00||5 hours||Visual and audio||Best multi-sensory brain training device for relaxation|
|NeuroSky||$129.99||8 hours||EEG||Most affordable entry-level neurofeedback device for home use|
How does a neurofeedback device work?
Neurofeedback devices are sophisticated tools designed to monitor and provide real-time feedback on brain activity.
These devices employ advanced sensors, such as EEG (electroencephalogram) and fNIRS (functional near-infrared spectroscopy), to measure electrical activity and blood flow changes in the brain, respectively. Some devices, in addition to providing neurofeedback, also incorporate tPBM (transcranial photobiomodulation) technology, using light stimulation to enhance neural function.
When the brain exhibits specific patterns of activity, these devices relay this information to the user, often via auditory or visual cues, guiding them to achieve desired brainwave states.
For instance, during meditation, one might aim for a calm, alpha-wave-dominant state. By providing immediate feedback, neurofeedback devices empower users to actively train their brains, potentially improving focus, relaxation, and overall mental calmness.
Benefits of using a neurofeedback machine
Neurofeedback devices, once limited to clinical settings, are revolutionizing personal wellness landscapes. By tapping into the brain's intricate rhythms and offering real-time feedback, these devices open doors to enhanced cognitive performance and mental well-being.
But what are the tangible benefits that users can expect when integrating these advanced tools into their daily routines? Let us delve into the possible advantages that may accompany consistent use of neurofeedback machines.
Might induce relaxation
Utilizing a neurofeedback device might potentially induce a state of relaxation.
According to some studies, using neurofeedback headbands in conjunction with guided meditation for extended periods of time might simulate a meditative practice.
This evidence suggests that regular neurofeedback sessions may effectively help users achieve a more relaxed and calm state of mind.
Might improve sleep quality
Neurofeedback devices might play a pivotal role in enhancing sleep quality. In research focusing on healthy participants, a notable improvement in sleep was observed.
Though the study was conducted in a controlled lab setting, which might produce varying results compared to a home environment, the findings still highlight the potential of neurofeedback in aiding better sleep patterns for its users.
Might improve attention
Neurofeedback devices are gaining traction as potential tools to enhance attention, especially among older individuals where attention and short-term memory often face age-related decline.
While the technology offers promising prospects, challenges remain. Some research emphasizes the need for improved signal processing algorithms to distinctly differentiate brainwaves of attended items from unattended ones, ensuring effective attentional training via neurofeedback.
Might improve working memory
Neurofeedback devices show potential in enhancing working memory, especially beneficial for older adults.
A study involving both older and younger participants revealed marked improvement in the working memory of the neurofeedback training group.
Furthermore, some comprehensive reviews on the subject have found that neurofeedback training had a substantial positive impact on working memory, in addition to improving mood.
How to use a neurofeedback device at home?
Using a neurofeedback device at home is a simple, yet transformative experience:
- Setup. In a calm, distraction-free space, ensure your device is charged.
- Wear the gear. Position the headset or sensors on your head as per manufacturer's guidelines.
- App connection. Download the device's mobile application, create an account, and pair it via Bluetooth.
- Calibration. On first use, the device might require a brief calibration to understand your baseline brain activity.
- Session selection. Pick a neurofeedback session tailored to your goals, whether relaxation, focus, or other cognitive enhancements.
- Engage. Follow on-screen or audio prompts, adjusting your focus based on real-time feedback.
- Review. Post-session, the app provides insights into your performance and areas of improvement.
- Consistency. For best results, use the device regularly, adhering to recommended sessions per week.
Remember, the user manual offers specifics and troubleshooting tips for your chosen device.
Can neurofeedback devices cause any side effects?
Neurofeedback devices are generally considered safe for use, especially when used as directed. However, as with many technologies that interact with the brain, there can be potential side effects, though they are typically rare and mild. Some reported side effects include:
- Fatigue. Some users might feel tired after a session, especially in the initial stages.
- Headache. Some people report mild headaches post-session.
- Discomfort. Unfamiliar sensations or mild discomfort where sensors make contact with the scalp.
- Overstimulation. Users may sometimes feel overly alert or agitated after certain sessions.
- Mood changes. Temporary mood shifts, including irritability or sadness.
- Difficulty sleeping. Especially if sessions are done close to bedtime.
What to know when using neurofeedback equipment at home?
When using neurofeedback equipment at home, it is crucial to approach the experience with informed caution. Here are some key points to remember:
- Not a replacement. While helpful, neurofeedback devices should not replace professional treatment or be viewed as a standalone cure.
- Avoid overuse. Follow guidelines and do not exceed recommended session durations.
- Manage expectations. Do not anticipate immediate or miraculous results — benefits often manifest gradually.
- Individual variability. What works for one person might not work for another, as brain responses can vary.
- Usage accuracy. Ensure you are using the device correctly — improper use can lead to ineffective results.
- Seek expertise. If in doubt, consult with a neurofeedback expert or medical professional.
Best neurofeedback devices: conclusion
In our opinion, the world of neurofeedback devices is rapidly evolving, presenting a promising frontier for brain health and cognitive enhancement. The options we have discussed offer unique features, catering to a range of preferences and needs.
While it is evident that such devices hold immense potential, it is essential to approach them with realistic expectations and to always prioritize one's well-being.
In choosing the best device for your personal journey, consider your goals, budget, and the technology's compatibility with your lifestyle. Embrace the journey of exploring your brain's potential while staying informed and safe.
Other top MedTech devices to read about
Best vagus nerve stimulation devices: to stimulate your vagus nerve for better relaxation
Best smart rings: to monitor your health constantly
Best sleep tracking rings: to monitor and improve your sleep
Best red light therapy devices: for your dermal rejuvenation
Can a neurofeedback device be used to treat ADHD?
While some believe the best neurofeedback device for ADHD may aid in managing symptoms, there is no robust evidence proving their efficacy for. Always consult a healthcare professional before starting any treatment.
Can you use neurofeedback equipment at home?
Yes, several neurofeedback devices are designed for at-home use. They allow individuals to monitor and potentially improve brain function from the comfort of their home. Always follow the manufacturer's guidelines for proper use.
What is the best neurofeedback device?
In our research and comparison, the currently stands out as the best neurofeedback device for at-home use, offering advanced features and user-friendly technology. Always consider individual needs when choosing.
Does neurofeedback therapy at home really work?
Preliminary yes, neurofeedback therapy at home has shown potential benefits in some users. However, individual experiences vary, and it is essential to approach with realistic expectations and consult professionals for comprehensive advice.
- Basic and Clinical Neuroscience. Methodological Note: Neurofeedback: A Comprehensive Review on System Design, Methodology and Clinical Applications.
- Frontiers in Psychology. Meditation and neurofeedback.
- Frontiers in Neuroscience. The Potential of Functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy-Based Neurofeedback — A Systematic Review and Recommendations for Best Practice.
- Clinical Neurophysiology. Neurofeedback training improves attention and working memory performance.
- Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback. An Exploratory Study on the Effects of Tele-neurofeedback and Tele-biofeedback on Objective and Subjective Sleep in Patients with Primary Insomnia.
Show all references
- Frontiers in Neuroscience. Neurofeedback Therapy for Enhancing Visual Attention: State-of-the-Art and Challenges.