NR or nicotinamide riboside supplements are gaining popularity as another longevity product acting similarly to NMN (nicotinamide mononucleotide). NR supplements are suggested to replenish NAD+ levels in the body and support healthy aging.
However, the question remains — how to find the best NR supplements on the market, abundant with various formulations? For this reason, we conducted market research and selected 5 NR products that, in our opinion, stand out in quality.
Best NR supplement: shortlist
- Tru Niagen® — best overall NR supplement for longevity
- PartiQlar — best price for NR supplement
- Elysium — best nicotinamide riboside for liver
- ProHealth — best NR and TMG supplement
- VitalityPRO — top-quality UK brand of NR
How to select the best nicotinamide riboside supplement in 2023?
To select the best NR supplement in 2023, we considered the following quality criteria.
|Formulation||Increased NR bioavailability|
|Third-party tested||Purity and safety|
|Price per serving||$0.80–$2.00|
- Formulation. When picking the best NR products, we considered what measures were taken to enhance the bioavailability of NR supplements.
- Third-party testing. Although this is not mandatory for supplement brands, manufacturers aiming to ensure their product’s purity and safety should display third-party testing conducted by independent labs.
- Manufacturing. Another quality and safety measure is the manufacturing of the supplements in advanced facilities that follow cGMP (Current Good Manufacturing Practices) standards for developing contaminant-free products.
- Price per serving. NR products on our list are reasonably priced depending on the formulation and doses. The price per serving is the range of your spending on your daily NR consumption.
Best NR supplements in 2023: overview
In this section, you will gain detailed information about our pick of the best NR supplements. Here, we discuss the products’ certification, quality testing results, purity, and price.
Read on to choose the best product that may suit your needs and accompany you in your longevity journey.
1. Tru Niagen® — best overall NR supplement on the market
Tru Niagen® is one of the best NR supplements on the market, produced as a flagship product incorporating clinically tested safe and effective NIAGEN® nicotinamide riboside.
ChromaDex, the manufacturer of the NR ingredient, conducted a clinical trial where NIAGEN® was observed to increase NAD+ levels by 50% after a short-term supplementation.
The brand is NSF-certified for sports (National Sanitation Foundation). This is a reputable third-party organization assessing the safety and purity of dietary supplements.
Tru Niagen® offers a versatile choice of servings per bottle of encapsulated NR.
Our pick of the best option for servings per bottle would be the bottle containing 90 capsules for 3 month's supply. With 1 capsule serving daily, you will receive 300 mg NR.
This option of Tru Niagen® NR supplement is sold at $119.95 ($1.33 per serving).
2. PartiQlar — best price for NR supplement per serving size
PartiQlar offers a reasonable price for serving size for its Pure NR supplement. Moreover, the provider offers significant discounts with multi-buy options for more prolonged consumption.
The raw ingredient in PartiQlar is sourced from Effepharm, which is a reliable supplier of NMN and NR molecules. The provider claims nicotinamide riboside to be 98% pure.
The products are developed in cGMP-certified and FDA-compliant manufacturing facilities. PartiQlar Pure NR is also NSF-certified for sport, vegan, and free from artificial colors, allergens, and GMOs.
The provider recommends taking 1 capsule a day to receive 350 mg NR. Although the supplement label does not include information about NR form, the third-party testing indicates the use of nicotinamide riboside chloride.
You can order your 2-month supply of PartiQlar Pure at $47.99 ($0.80 per serving).
3. Elysium — best nicotinamide riboside formula for liver health
Elysium Basis is a formula of pterostilbene (PT) and nicotinamide riboside (NR-E). The combination has been tested in a clinical trial and shown well-tolerated during 6-month supplementation in people with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. It was also associated with reduced inflammatory markers in the liver.
The manufacturer included nicotinamide riboside crystalline in the supplement as another NR form. NR-E in Basis was developed by the eminent scientists behind Elysium and is a patent-pending product.
Basis by Elysium is manufactured in cGMP-certified facilities and is certified NSF for sport. It is free from allergens and GMOs. It is also third-party tested for safety and purity.
The daily recommended dose of Basis is 2 capsules in the morning, delivering 250 mg of NR-E and 50 mg of PT.
One month's supply of Elysium Basis NR-E costs $60.00 ($2.00 per serving). The provider offers significant discounts with multi-buy options.
4. ProHealth — best NR and TMG supplement formula
ProHealth combines TMG (betaine) with NR — making it a promising supplement option for people seeking to support liver function and promote muscle formation and cellular reproduction.
ProHealth utilizes NIAGEN® nicotinamide riboside by CromaDex. The manufacturing is handled in the USA, cGMP-certified facilities. Another quality standard is the third-party testing displayed on the product page.
ProHealth NR supplements are available in 2 NR dosage amounts — 300 mg and 500 mg. TMG doses also differ in these two options — 150 mg and 250 mg, respectively.
The bottle of ProHealth nicotinamide riboside 500 mg is sold at $64.95 ($2.16 per serving). The 300 mg option is available for 30 days at $47.30 ($1.57 per serving).
5. VitalityPRO — top-quality UK-based brand of NR
If you are looking to buy an NR supplement made in the UK, VitalityPRO may be an ideal choice. Moreover, the brand ships to the USA, Australia, and other EU countries.
VitalityPRO is a 98.5% pure NR supplement containing no artificial colors, preservatives, or allergens. The brand utilizes stable nicotinamide riboside chloride as the only ingredient in the supplement.
Although the brand doesn't mention the source of its raw materials, the manufacturing of this NAD+ supplement takes place in cGMP-certified and ISO 9001 facilities.
VitalityPRO NR supplement contains no fillers, and the capsules are made from vegetable cellulose. The brand recommends people with no known health concerns take 1–2 capsules daily to receive 300–600 mg NR.
One bottle of VitalityPRO NR supplement costs $64.00 ($1.42 per serving). The price per serving depends on the daily consumption.
Comparing the top NR supplements of 2023
|Brand||Price*||Price per serving||Servings per bottle||Serving size||NR dose per serving||Additional ingredients||NR form|
|Tru Nigen®||$119.95||$1.33||90||1 capsule||300 mg||N/A||NR chloride (NIAGEN®)|
|PartiQlar||$47.99||$0.80||60||1 capsule||350 mg||N/A||β-NR|
|Elysium||$60.00||$2.00||30||2 capsules||250 mg||Pterostilbene||Crystalline NR|
|ProHealth||$64.95||$2.16||30||2 capsules||500 mg||TMG (betaine)||NR chloride (NIAGEN®)|
|VitalityPRO||$64.00||$1.42||45||2 capsules||600 mg||N/A||NR chloride|
* — prices vary depending on the product serving size and dosage selection, and daily consumption.
Please be aware that currently, there is limited information on the safety and efficacy of NR supplements. Since it is a new molecule in the market, there is limited research in humans on the supplementation of NR in any formulations. However, it is important to note that since we are not the manufacturer, we do not take any responsibility for the proposed health claims provided by the brands, and we urge you to discuss the use of these supplements with your healthcare provider.
What to look for when buying the best NR supplement?
To ensure you are buying a quality NR supplement to meet your health needs, you should pay close attention to the following factors when analyzing the market:
- Purity. Make sure to check the purity indication of the nicotinamide riboside supplement made by the provider on the official website. NR supplements are preferred to have more than 95% purity.
- Ingredients. Check additional ingredients that might play a synergistic role with NR to enhance your healthspan. Besides, read the supplement label to ensure it’s free from GMOs, and in case of intolerances — soy, gluten, nuts, and GMOs.
- Customer reviews. Read customer feedback on review platforms or the product page to learn about the company’s approach to delivery, customer support, product packaging, and overall brand reputation.
- Dosage per serving. Supplements used in higher doses may pose a risk of severe side effects. Therefore, select products incorporating ingredients in safe doses for daily consumption.
What are the benefits of NR supplements?
NR or nicotinamide riboside supplements are attracting interest for their association with enhancing NAD+ (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) levels.
Although the evidence comes mainly from animal or limited studies with humans, the research evolving around NR benefits suggests the following health effects:
- Healthy metabolism. Limited evidence suggests that NR supplementation may be associated with SIRT1 gene activation. As a result, this process may trigger higher energy production and contribute to the prevention of metabolic diseases. It may also mimic caloric restriction, supporting healthy weight management, as observed in animal studies.
- Liver support. Although the evidence emerges from mice studies and is not yet applied to humans, NR supplementation was observed to promote liver regeneration and correction of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Reduced blood pressure. A small clinical study, expected to be finalized by the end of the year, suggests that supplementation with nicotinamide riboside may help reduce blood pressure and aortic stiffness.
- Healthy aging. Currently, NR supplementation is related to longevity by supporting metabolism and reducing chronic inflammation — the latter being a hallmark of accelerated aging.
NR vs. NMN supplements: what is the difference?
First and foremost, it is crucial to note that NMN is no longer available as a dietary supplement due to the latest FDA investigation on whether it can be labeled as a drug. Yet, for people looking for ways to enhance NAD+ levels, NR comes as a good alternative to NMN.
Let’s discover these two molecules and how they are different.
Understanding nicotinamide riboside
NR is a naturally occurring form of vitamin B3. It has become one of the promising NAD+ precursors. Nicotinamide riboside is considered a labile molecule requiring meticulous production for stability.
NR is observed to take 2 steps to turn into NAD+. After entering the cells, it converts into NMN, which in turn becomes NAD+, increasing the latter's levels.
Currently, the scientific evidence of NR effectiveness emerges from animal studies and limited human clinical trials.
Understanding nicotinamide mononucleotide
NMN is a vitamin B3 derivative — meaning it has a slightly different molecular structure than NR. Although NMN is slightly a larger molecule, it is observed to have better stability.
However, some brands might develop liposomal NMN products, claiming to improve the bioavailability or absorption of the supplement. More to this, NMN is proposed to take one step to convert to NAD+ in the body.
Can NR supplements cause any side effects?
Although there are limited studies on NR supplementation in humans, so far, NR supplementation has not demonstrated significant side effects. Commonly, the providers recommend taking up to 500 mg NR daily, which is an amount used in studies without exposing individuals to adverse effects.
People also report feeling:
Pregnant or breastfeeding women, people under 18 years of age, and individuals with known health conditions should consult with their healthcare provider before supplementing with this NAD+ precursor.
Best NR supplement worth your attention — conclusion
Despite the limited amount of scientific evidence, NR supplements are gaining popularity as NMN alternatives. Nicotinamide riboside demonstrates promising longevity properties by elevating NAD+ levels and supporting healthy aging.
NR is being widely marketed as a longevity supplement, making it challenging to find a quality product suitable for individual health needs. If you want to find the best NR supplement on the market, you should pay close attention to the supplement quality aspects.
Explore other NAD+ precursors and their benefits
Explore the best longevity supplements to help you age gracefully.
Choose your NMN supplement to support a longer healthspan.
Find your high-quality and effective NAD+ supplement in the market.
What are the benefits of the best nicotinamide riboside supplement?
NR supplements may bring numerous benefits to support healthy aging, including metabolic and liver health support and lower blood pressure. Note that these benefits have been observed in limited clinical trials and are emerging primarily from animal studies.
Can NMN and NR supplements be taken together?
No scientific findings or official guidelines suggest consuming NR and NMN together. Some people may be thinking of supplementing with both precursors to supposedly increase NAD+ levels more effectively. However, the key to healthy supplementation is moderation.
What is the daily recommended dosage for an NR supplement?
Some brands claim 500 mg NR daily as a general recommendation. The doses used in research studies vary from 250–1000 mg daily. To determine the safe doses for your individual health needs, you should talk to your doctor.
Can I experience any side effects from taking the best NR supplements?
Although NR supplements are generally known to be safe for consumption, side effects are possible. Commonly, in case of overconsumption or individual intolerances, people may experience tingling in their legs and toes, nausea, headaches, diarrhea, and itching.
- Cell Reports. Nicotinamide Riboside Augments the Aged Human Skeletal Muscle NAD+ Metabolome and Induces Transcriptomic and Anti-inflammatory Signatures.
- Nature communications. Chronic nicotinamide riboside supplementation is well-tolerated and elevates NAD+ in healthy middle-aged and older adults.
- The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. A randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial of nicotinamide riboside in obese men: safety, insulin-sensitivity, and lipid-mobilizing effects.
- Scientific Reports. Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide biosynthesis promotes liver regeneration.
- Aging and Mechanisms of Disease. Repeat dose NRPT (nicotinamide riboside and pterostilbene) increases NAD+ levels in humans safely and sustainably: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.