Humana is one of the largest insurance carriers offering Medicare Advantage Plans (MA Plans) in 89% of all U.S. counties. It was founded in 1961 and aims to elevate the human side of healthcare. Humana invests in philanthropy and public policy with the shared goal of “making a positive impact on the lives we touch and communities we serve.”
Next year, in 2024, Humana will be expanding its co-branded MA plans with USAA and will also offer a Humana USAA Honor plan dedicated to complementing the VA veteran benefits.
Is Humana good insurance?
Humana is a solid insurance company with an AM Best financial strength rating ranging from A to A-, meaning when it's time to pay claims, Humana is expected to have those funds. MA Plans are available in all 50 States, Washington D.C., and Puerto Rico. In addition to this comprehensive coverage, Humana’s quality service shines, evidenced by 94% of its MA members enjoying plans rated four or higher on the CMS Star Rating Scale. Humana is also highly rated by the J.D. Power 2023 U.S. Medicare Advantage Study. It ranked in the top three companies for all major markets reviewed except in one market. Humana services more than 5.8 million Medicare Advantage members.
Pros and cons of Humana Medicare plans
Humana Medicare Advantage plans offer many unique additional benefits to fit almost any healthcare needs and budgets. Humana's MA plans are highly rated by Medicare, with a national average of 4.2 CMS Stars.
In addition to providing all services included with Medicare Parts A and B, Humana Medicare Advantage plans can include free transportation, meal delivery after a hospital stay, over-the-counter allowance, SilverSneakers fitness program, and plans dedicated to veterans. On the other hand, Humana's MA plans can be more costly than other MA plans, and its SNP plans are not available in all States.
Humana Medicare Advantage plan types: how does it work?
Humana contracts with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to provide Medicare Part C, a consolidated option to receive your Medicare Part A and Part B. Many Part C plans, also known as Medicare Advantage, also offer additional benefits such as hearing, vision, dental, and other unique benefits such as those listed in the following section. Within MA Plans, insurance carriers can adopt various models of insurance structures and payment models. Humana MA Plans offer PPO, HMO, SNP, and PFFS, which are described in more detail below.
Preferred Provider Organizations (PPOs) allow maximum flexibility with coverage in exchange for higher monthly premiums. With a PPO, you can visit any healthcare provider that accepts Medicare, but you can maximize your cost savings by visiting in-network providers.
Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) offer coordinated care via a primary care physician (PCP) who would manage care and provide referrals to specialists. You can select any PCP within the Humana network of providers, and plan costs are generally lower. Humana has three HMO Plans: Gold Plus HMO, Gold Plus HMO-POS, and Gold Plus HMO SNP.
Special Needs Plans (SNPs) are Medicare Advantage plans designed for those with special health or financial needs who require coordination of care. Humana offers two types of SNP plans: chronic condition special needs plans and dual-eligible special needs plans. Nationwide, the number of SNPs has doubled since 2018.
Private Fee for Service plans (PFFSs) are flexible plans that allow you to choose any Medicare-approved provider that accepts the plan’s terms. PFFS plans include global emergency coverage, and most of them have prescription drug coverage.
Humana also offers Medicare Supplement, also known as Medigap, plans, stand-alone Part D prescription drug plans, and separate dental and vision coverage.
Humana Medicare Advantage benefits
Humana Medicare Advantage plans offer many unique benefits. We list some of their outstanding benefits below. Check with a Humana representative to see if these benefits are available in your area.
- Part B savings. Humana can cover a portion of your Part B Medicare Premium as a rebate to your Social Security check. Speak with a Humana representative to find out if you qualify.
- Humana Well Dine food program. Eligible Humana members can benefit from this program that provides highly nutritious, ready-to-eat meals that last up to 14 days. The dietician-approved recipes can incorporate various special diets such as diabetic or puréed.
- SilverSneakers fitness program. Humana offers a Medicare health and fitness program with some plans. This benefit provides free membership to over 16,000 local and national gyms and virtual on-demand classes.
- Transportation. Some Humana plans offer free roundtrip rides to medical appointments. These rides are arranged via a private transportation service local to your area.
- Medication therapy management. For Medicare-eligible individuals, Humana offers a medication therapy plan. A pharmacist or other healthcare provider will provide a one-on-one review of all your medications, ensuring they are safe and answering any questions.
Cost of the Humana Medicare Advantage plans
To consider the cost of Humana Medicare Advantage plans, it would be worthwhile to compare plans on their website. You can compare not only monthly premiums but also the deductibles, copays, coinsurance, and out-of-pocket max costs. You will also want to include your medications if selecting an MA Plan with prescription coverage. The average prices for Humana MA Plans are as follows:
- Monthly premium - $59.43 (includes Part C and Part D. Excludes $0 premiums) For comparison, the average premium for all MA enrollees in 2023 is $18/month
- Annual drug deductible - $182.72
- Out-of-pocket max - $5,512
Below are some sample Humana MA Plans with cost information currently available in Collin County, Texas.
|Humana USAA Honor with Rx (PPO)||Humana Gold Plus (HMO)||HumanaChoice (PPO)|
|Out-of-pocket Max Cost||$6,900||$3,400||$5,900|
|Primary Care Visit||$10 copay (in-network)||$0 copay (in-network)||$0 copay (in-network)|
|Part B Giveback||up to $75||None||None|
|Transportation||None||60 trips to plan-approved locations||None|
|Over-the-counter allowance||$50 every 3 months||$100 every 3 months||$75 every 3 months|
Humana reviews and ratings
Reputable third-party ratings provide an objective way to evaluate the strength, stability, and quality of a Medicare Advantage Plan. We chose these organizations that rate quality service and customer satisfaction.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services regulates and evaluates all Medicare Advantage Plans. Plans are rated on a Star Scale of 1-5, with one being the worst and five being the best. They rate plans based on qualities like customer service, member experience, member complaints and changes in the health plan’s performance, managing chronic conditions, and initiatives to promote health.
Humana averaged 4.2 Stars nationwide.
The National Committee for Quality Assurance is one of the standards for evaluating and measuring healthcare quality. They measure MA Plans on a scale of 1-5, with one being the worst and five being the best. Rating criteria include patient experience, treatment, prevention, and equity.
Humana MA Plans range from 2.5 - 4 Stars, varying by location.
A global trusted leader in data analytics, in 2023, they ranked MA Plans in five major U.S. markets.
Humana MA Plans ranked 2nd in CA, 1st in FL, 3rd in NY, 6th in PA, and 3rd in TX.
What to consider when choosing Humana Medicare Advantage plan
It can be challenging to narrow your choices when selecting a Medicare Advantage Plan. According to KFF, most Medicare beneficiaries can access 43 different MA Plans from which to choose. Considering questions like those we list below can help you select a plan that fits your healthcare needs and budget.
- Utilization. How often do I plan on using medical services? Do I have consistent monthly needs, or do I anticipate only seeing the doctor once or twice a year?
- Provider network. Is my primary care physician in-network? What about my specialists, therapists, or preferred clinics?
- Prescription medications. Are my medications covered if I select a Medicare Advantage plan with prescription benefits? What tier are my commonly used medicines in?
- Overall cost. What will my overall cost be considering not only monthly premiums but also deductibles, copays/coinsurance, drug costs, and out-of-pocket max cost?
What is the best Medicare plan that covers everything?
The best Medicare plan for you covers your unique health needs and budget. Medicare Advantage plans with prescription drug coverage offer comprehensive coverage for all the major Medicare Parts, including Parts A, B, C, and D.
Is Humana only in the U.S.?
Humana is based in the United States and does not offer any Medicare Advantage plans internationally. However, Humana does offer other types of Medicare plans that may cover healthcare when traveling abroad. In general, Medicare is not accepted abroad since it is a U.S. Government program. Medicare coverage applies to any U.S. State, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa.
What is the most popular Medicare coverage?
Over fifty percent of Medicare beneficiaries are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan; most include prescription drug coverage. Eighty-nine percent of all MA Plans have prescription drug coverage in 2023. Most Medicare Advantage members, 47%, are enrolled in one of two companies, either Humana or UnitedHealthcare.
- KFF.org. Medicare Advantage in 2023 Enrollment Update and Key Trends.
- CMS.gov. CMS 2023 MA Landscape Source File.
- KFF.org. Medicare Advantage 2023 Spotlight First Look.
- BusinessWire. Humana and USAA Expand Relationship to Offer High Quality Affordable Medicare Advantage Plans Designed with Veterans in Mind.
- J.D. Power. 2023 US Medicare Advantage Study.