Microdosing Chocolate Linked to Severe Illness

Diamond Shruumz-brand products are currently under investigation for potentially causing at least 12 cases of severe illness with symptoms like seizures and loss of consciousness.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a warning about consuming Diamond Shruumz-brand products, including microdosing chocolate Bars, infused cones, and micro-dose and macro-dose gummies.

All 12 people who reported illness after consuming these products sought medical care. Among 10 patients who were hospitalized, several required intubation, mechanical ventilation, and admission to an intensive care unit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Reported symptoms include seizures, central nervous system depression, defined as loss of consciousness, confusion, sleepiness, agitation, abnormal heart rates, hyper/hypotension, nausea, and vomiting.

The FDA urges consumers not to eat, sell, or serve any flavor of Diamond Shruumz-brand chocolate bars, cones, or gummies, as they might contain undisclosed ingredients that might be linked to severe illness.

Microdosing is a repeated self-administration of psychedelic substances in low doses that do not impair a person's normal functioning. LSD and psilocybin, both Schedule I drugs, are the most commonly used substances for microdosing.

On its website, Diamond Shruumz calls its products the leading form of microdosing that does not contain psychedelic substances like psilocybin, amanita, or any scheduled drugs. Instead, Diamond Shruumz uses mushrooms such as Lion's Mane, Reishi, and Chaga.

These mushrooms are marketed for their potential benefits in improving cognitive function, mood, immune system, and blood sugar. However, their beneficial properties have been mostly observed in animal studies.

The mushrooms have also been linked to side effects such as nausea, stomach upset, rash or skin itching, and sleep issues. There are two cases of kidney disease after consuming Chaga mushroom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Leave a reply

Your email will not be published. All fields are required.

Comments

Jacqueline O'Dwyer
prefix 24 days ago
Thanks for the message today. I am allergic to mushrooms along with my son. Luckily we were diagnosed at a young age. We are chocolate lovers'. My son had weaned off it since he was twenty eighth years old.