Dogs, just like humans, can experience anxiety. For instance, it is quite common for some dogs to become nervous when left alone — this is known as separation anxiety. Since there are myriad reasons why our pets may experience uneasiness and distress, you may have noticed certain symptoms of anxiety in your furry friend as well.
While it is important to contact your veterinarian if your pet is suddenly acting differently, you may also turn to supplements to support your animal in unsettling moments. These could include car travel, and the fireworks season such as during New Year, Halloween, or 4th of July. If you are on the lookout for the best calming supplement for dogs, we have prepared a list of products that are worth considering.
Best calming treats for dogs: product shortlist
- Real Mushrooms — best calming aid for dogs overall
- Batch — best CBD dog treats to ease anxiety
- Pet Chemist — best daily calming supplement for dogs
- Pet Honesty — best melatonin chews to soothe anxiety in dogs
- Native Pet — best budget-friendly calming aid for dogs
How we ranked the best calming aids for dogs?
If you are trying to figure out what are the best anxiety supplements for dogs, it comes in handy to know a few criteria that you could apply when choosing products.
Below, we will present some of the criteria we used to craft our list.
|May ease anxiety
|We preferred chews and treats over capsules or pills
|Reliable brand, positive customer reviews
|$0.40-$2.00 per portion
- Ingredients. We analyzed supplement labels for active ingredients and compared information on the brand’s website with current scientific data. However, since most ingredients in animal supplements have not been tested on dogs, it is crucial to exercise caution before purchasing them.
- Form. Dog supplements may come in different forms such as chews, oils, and capsules. We preferred chews or treats as they may be more palatable and easier to consume for your pet.
- Customer experience. We scoured the internet to gather customer feedback on the pet supply brands. We picked reliable brands that receive positive reviews on their products.
- Price range. When crafting this article, we looked for products that offer good value for money. Moreover, we calculated the price per portion to help you compare the cost of the products. Keep in mind that the serving size will depend on your pet’s weight, and thus, you should read the label to know how much to give to your pet.
Top dog anxiety supplements: reviews of best calming chews and treats
After applying the criteria we mentioned previously, we selected five products that may be of value if you're searching for the best calming supplement for dogs. Below, we will present them in more detail.
1. Real Mushrooms — best calming supplement for dogs overall
Pet Chews by Real Mushrooms are veterinarian-designed soft chews for dogs and cats that feature various ingredients that may support your pet’s well-being. What makes them an excellent choice for stressful situations is ingredients like taurine, l-theanine, and l-tryptophan.
Moreover, these chews include medicinal mushrooms (Lion’s mane and reishi) that are used for their anti-inflammatory properties. It is worth noting that it is advised against using medicinal mushrooms for dogs with certain conditions (e.g., bleeding disorders and low blood pressure).
One packet of Real Mushrooms supplement for dogs is currently priced at $34.95. As it contains 60 portions, it would cost you $0.58 per serving. Recommended dosages are:
|Suggested daily amount
|Per 20-40 lbs (9–18 kg)
Keep in mind that the serving should be adjusted according to your dog’s weight or vet's recommendation.
2. Batch — best CBD product for dogs with anxiety
CBD (cannabidiol) is well-known for its potential to reduce anxiety symptoms in humans — but early research studies suggest that it may be beneficial for dogs as well. If you opt for CBD products for your dog, it is worth considering these peanut butter-flavored treats by BATCH. Grown and manufactured in the USA, BATCH is a customer-favorite brand for sustainable and high-quality CBD products.
Moreover, these CBD treats include a few other active ingredients that may support the overall health of your pet such as vitamin C and glucosamine.
At the moment, one jar of this Batch product is priced at $59.99. As it contains 30 treats in total, one portion is priced at $2.00. The recommended doses are:
|Suggested daily amount
|0–10 lbs (0–4.5 kg)
|11–20 lbs (5–9.1 kg)
|21–50 lbs (9.5–22.7 kg)
|51–100 lbs (23.1–45.4 kg)
However, you may need to adjust the serving size after discussing with a veterinarian.
3. Pet Chemist — best daily calming aid for dogs
If you are looking for a supplement to support your dog’s mental well-being, Pet Chemist offers chews designed to be fed daily with meals. According to the customer reviews, these chews are savored by dogs and can be easily incorporated into their routine.
For stress relief, these chews include tryptophan — an essential amino acid that may potentially reduce nervousness. Moreover, this product contains B-group vitamins that are needed for nervous system function.
The recommended dose of this product are:
|Suggested daily amount
|0–8.8 lbs (0–4 kg)
|11–31 lbs (5–14 kg)
|33–64 lbs (15–29 kg)
|66 lbs+ (30 kg+)
If you opt for this Pet Chemist product, one pack would cost you $37.95. As it contains 60 chews, one chew is priced at $0.63.
4. Pet Honesty — best melatonin-infused chews to ease anxiety in dogs
Pet Honesty is another great pick for dog anxiety supplements as it contains melatonin, chamomile, and l-theanine. As customers report, these turkey-flavored are well-liked by dogs and may help them to relax by reducing anxiety symptoms during stressful times such as storms and visits to unfamiliar places.
It is important to note that chamomile may be toxic to dogs in excessive quantities. However, the content of chamomile is relatively low in these chews and should not be of concern if you stick to the recommended amount. The recommended dosage according to the brand’s website:
|Suggested daily amount
As of now, one pack of Pet Honesty is priced at $39.99. As there are 90 chews in the package, one portion would cost you $0.44.
5. Native Pet — best budget-friendly calming supplement for dogs
Priced at only $11.99 (or $0.40 per serving) for the smallest bag, these air-dried chicken chews stand as the most affordable choice in this list. Designed to reduce anxiety in dogs, Native Pet chews are made from real chicken that has been air-dried.
As the brand suggests, these chews are great to have if your dog becomes unsettled by such events as fireworks and vet visits.
Recommended doses are:
|Suggested daily amount
|Per 25 lbs (11.3 kg)
If you wish to purchase Native Pet products, you can opt for the subscription that will allow you to save up to 10% of your order. Keep in mind that the subscription can be canceled at any time.
Comparison of top 5 best calming supplements for dogs
|Price (one-time purchase)
|Price per portion
|Main active ingredients
|Lion’s mane, reishi, taurine, l-theanine and l-tryptophan
|B-group vitamins and tryptophan
|Melatonin, chamomile, l-theanine
|Melatonin and l-theanine
* — Depending on your pet’s weight and age, you may need more or less than one portion. Read the label or consult a veterinarian to know the exact amount of product you should give your dog.
When your dog might need a calming supplement?
If you have been noticing that your pet is experiencing stress, it is crucial to understand what may be causing it before turning to supplements. Strange behavior in your beloved pet could signal something more serious than occasional anxiety. However, if your dog becomes fearful due to certain unavoidable situations, you can consider supplements to help your pet cope.
For instance, some dogs may become anxious during the winter holiday season due to fireworks, and providing calming supplements to your furry friend may help to alleviate their stress. It may be worth considering calming supplements during these holidays:
- New Years Eve
- Chinese New Year
- Independence Day (4th of July) in the USA
Other reasons why pet caretakers may look into purchasing dog supplements for anxiety include:
- Separation anxiety
- Travel anxiety
- Unfamiliar places or guests
- Vet visits
Moreover, some dogs may start exhibiting symptoms of anxiety due to old age. If you witness any unusual behavior in your pet, it is important to consult a veterinarian to better assess the situation.
Choosing the best dog calming supplements: things to consider
If you are seeking the best dog calmers, there are certain factors to consider before you commit to a purchase. We outlined a few criteria you may want to keep in mind when shopping for calming supplements for your four-legged companion.
- Calming ingredients. Analyze the label of the product to assess what active ingredients are in the product. For instance, you can look for such ingredients as t-theanine, melatonin, and l-tryptophan.
- Possible risks. Dog supplements may have side effects such as upset stomach. Moreover, if your dog has a history of diseases or is on medications, it is best to consult your veterinarian before you incorporate supplements into your dog’s diet.
- Vet recommendations. If your dog is experiencing anxiety, it can be valuable to contact a professional for a more in-depth evaluation of the situation.
- Customer reviews and testimonials. Although it is not always possible to rely solely on customer reviews, it is usually worth checking what the customers are saying about their experience with the brand. Customer reviews may expose the areas of concern or dissatisfaction related to the product and give you a better understanding of what to expect.
Ingredients in dog calming supplements to look out for
Certain ingredients in dog calming supplements may help your dog to relax and promote their well-being. Although there is limited research on these ingredients, or dog supplements in general, below we will present a few of them.
- L-theanine. The relaxing effect of this compound has been observed in some studies with dogs. For instance, one trial concluded that L-theanine helped reduce sensitivity to loud noises (storm in this study).
- Taurine. Taurine is an amino acid that has been observed to bind to GABA receptors. This means taurine may potentially provide a calming effect, although there are no clinical trials to confirm this. Moreover, there is currently limited research available on the impact of taurine on both humans and animals.
- L-tryptophan. Another amino acid that contributes to the regulation of mood and behavior in various mammalian species. Currently, it is being studied for its ability to influence behaviors related to anxiety, stress, fear, and aggression in several mammals, including dogs.
- Melatonin. Sometimes recommended by veterinarians, melatonin is a compound that has mild sedative properties. One research study showed that dogs who have received melatonin before an operation required lower doses of anesthetic propofol due to the calming effect of melatonin.
Potential side effects of calming supplement for dogs
Supplements for dogs may have certain side effects, especially if given in too large doses. As these unwanted effects could be caused by active ingredients, they can vary greatly depending on the product's formula.
The most common possible side effects include:
- Upset stomach
- Changes in appetite
Moreover, whether your pet might experience side effects may vary depending on your dog’s overall health, weight, and breed. It is advisable to consult your vet before starting any supplement for your dog. Follow instructions provided by your veterinarian or found on the label as certain ingredients may be toxic in large quantities.
What to know before giving your dog calming supplements
Certain precautions should be taken before you start giving your dog any supplements, including those that are used for managing stress.
Consult with your veterinarian
If your dog’s behavior has been worrisome, it is important to consult your veterinarian before you jump to purchasing calming supplements. Strange behavior could indicate certain diseases in your pet.
Moreover, certain supplements may not be suitable for your pet. For instance, medicinal mushrooms should be used with caution in pets that have certain conditions such as bleeding disorders, low blood pressure, liver or kidney diseases, and immune-mediated disorders.
If you opt for CBD products for your pet, be mindful that they contain cannabidiol and may result in adverse effects and toxicity in high doses. Therefore, CBD treats should not be used as a part of the reward system for your pet and need to be administered with caution and moderation.
Your veterinarian can help you choose the most appropriate supplement and consult on suitable dosage.
Choose the proper dosage and supplement
As dogs highly differ in weight, read the label to find the right dosage for your furry friend. Giving too much of dog calming supplements may evoke side effects and do more harm than good.
Also, your dog’s age is another important factor to be aware of. Senior dogs and puppies have unique nutritional needs and will need specific dosages and ingredients in their supplements.
Be mindful of side effects
Your beloved pet may experience side effects from calming supplements. As all calming supplements have different ingredients, read the label or brand’s website carefully to better understand the potential side effects.
Find out more products for dogs
Best dog supplements that may improve your pet's nutrition and overall quality of life.
Best joint supplements for dogs that may support your canine’s joint health.
Best probiotics for dogs that may support a healthy gut in your four-legged companion.
Best CBD for dogs that may help to manage your pet’s stress levels, enhance appetite, and offer joint pain relief.
Are dog calming aids effective?
Dog supplements for anxiety may help your pet to destress. However, not all of the calming aids are created equally. Look for products that have high-quality ingredients. Moreover, if you do not see any effects on your pet it is worth considering booking a visit with a veterinarian.
What supplements are good for dog anxiety?
From the scarce research studies available, it can be said that l-theanine, l-tryptophan, and melatonin could be some of the best ingredients to look for in dog calming aids. However, as of now, we lack scientific studies to answer this question with certainty.
Do vets recommend dog supplements for anxiety?
Some veterinarians may recommend dog supplements if your pet is experiencing symptoms of anxiety. If you are unsure if the product is suitable for you, it is always best to discuss the matter with your veterinarian.
- Frontiers in Veterinary Science. A single dose of cannabidiol (CBD) positively influences measures of stress in dogs during separation and car travel.
- Nutrition Today. Veterinary Pet Supplements and Nutraceuticals.
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. Effect of dietary protein content and tryptophan supplementation on dominance aggression, territorial aggression, and hyperactivity in dogs.
- Animals (Basel). Essential Oils and Melatonin as Functional Ingredients in Dogs.
- Journal of Veterinary Behavior. An open-label prospective study of the use of l-theanine (Anxitane) in storm-sensitive client-owned dogs.
- JAST (Journal of Animal Science and Technology). Gut microbiota profiling in aged dogs after feeding pet food contained Hericium erinaceus.