An intense workout in the gym, a voracious diarrhea virus, a bad hangover, or a hike amidst a heat wave have in common one thing — the necessity to replenish the body with electrolytes.
Electrolytes are essential in many processes in the body, such as optimal cell function, muscle contraction, or blood pressure regulation. Furthermore, they are also particularly important to hydrate and replenish minerals after sweating or losing bodily fluids.
Whether you are a fitness lover, recovering from sickness, a party enthusiast, or just curious about the properties of electrolytes, we hope you discover the best electrolyte powder among our 10 top-notch selected choices.
Best electrolyte powder: shortlist
- Flowerade — best hydration powder with CBD
- Transparent Labs — best electrolyte supplement with natural sweeteners
- Kaged — best electrolyte powder for athletes
- Zeal Naturals — best low sugar electrolyte powder
- Naked Nutrition — best vegan electrolyte powder
- Cymbiotika — best hydration packets for sickness
- BulkSupplements.com — best sugar free electrolyte powder
- Waterboy — best clean electrolyte powder
- MTN OPS — best hydration powder to take on the go
- Bare Performance Nutrition — best tasting electrolyte powder
How we compiled the list of best electrolyte powders?
Chances are, if you enjoy working out, you have come across electrolyte brands online. Many of these brands not only claim to have paramount quality but also state that their product is the best electrolyte supplement on the market. However, these providers fail to understand that “best” is not universal, and there are certain key criteria to consider when choosing a suitable product:
|High-quality electrolytes and other ingredients to enhance hydration
|Disclosure of manufacturing practices and testing
|Low amounts of artificial sweeteners and sugar
|Natural and enjoyable flavors
- Price. We strived for a balance between quality and affordability, delivering top-notch brands with competitive prices.
- Ingredients. Our selection encompassed brands that feature a variety of electrolytes to support hydration. Moreover, we also considered additional ingredients such as L-glutamine or vitamin C that act synergically with electrolytes to elevate its benefits.
- Brand transparency. Most individuals are skeptical about purchasing products from brands that do not disclose sourcing and production practices. We are skeptical as well; that’s why we have prioritized those providers that disclose ingredient sourcing, manufacturing practices, and testing.
- Added sugars. The downside of many electrolyte drinks is the substantial sugar content in their formulations. For this reason, we have selected products that are free or low on added sugars.
- Palatability. Flavors are essential to streamline the intake of electrolyte powders. Therefore, our selection prioritized those products that feature natural and palatable flavors.
Best electrolyte powder: overview
Finding the best hydration powder may not seem like an easy task, but with our help, we trust you can choose the most suitable one for your needs.. Our selection encompasses a wide variety of products, each with unique flavors, ingredients, and formats, catering to the needs of many individuals.
We hope the right product to hydrate and nourish your body awaits in the ranking below:
1. Flowerade — best electrolyte supplement with CBD
Flowerade introduces Lavender Kush Lemonade for those exercise enthusiasts looking to replenish electrolytes after an intense workout. The powder boasts essential vitamins, minerals, and 10 mg of CBD to help promote relaxation in both body and mind.
Electrolytes are key to preserving cellular integrity, supporting the nervous system, and promoting healthy muscle function. Sweating during exercise may lead to electrolyte loss, jeopardizing its optimal levels in the body. Flowerade’s blend of magnesium, potassium, and sodium may help to balance electrolyte levels after physical activity - becoming the perfect hydration powder to replenish and nourish the body.
Flowerade does not only steal the spotlight with its potential hydration properties but may also be a good fit for those looking for an eco-friendly product. The brand claims that every jar is made from 100% recycled ocean plastic, making it a sustainable alternative in the electrolyte market.
It is available for $24.99 and includes 10 servings per package.
2. Transparent Labs — best electrolyte powder naturally sweetened
Intense exercise can disrupt electrolyte levels and water homeostasis, leading to decreased physical performance and dehydration. Transparent Labs' Hydrate aims to prevent the consequences of intense workouts, delivering a supplement enriched with several electrolytes and herbal extracts to nourish and revitalize the body.
The formula’s blend of potassium, sodium, and magnesium strives to support the body by potentially sustaining muscle contractility, endurance, recovery, and cell volumization. The ultimate result is a top-notch hydrating product free from added sugars, preservatives, and artificial colorings.
Transparent Labs Hydrate recommends mixing 1 scoop of the powder with 8-12 oz of water for best results. It is available for $29.99 and includes 40 servings per package.
3. Kaged — best electrolyte supplement for fitness lovers
For athletes and exercise lovers, optimal performance is key to achieving physical goals. However, during intense physical activity, sudden loss of water may endanger prowess. Hydra-Charge is designed to support athletes’ goals with 5 essential electrolytes, antioxidants, and carbohydrates that may help you stay on top of your game.
Some studies have researched the effects of electrolytes on physical performance, linking the consumption of essential electrolytes with endurance and recovery. A small study with 10 men demonstrated improved exercise ability, while another study also associated electrolyte consumption with endurance.
Kaged not only provides the body with electrolytes but also boasts an antioxidant blend that may support the immune system and coconut water powder to fuel the body before the workout.
Free from artificial colors, preservatives, and flavors, the product is available in 8 flavors tailored to a wide range of palabilities. The brand recommends mixing 1 scoop of your favorite flavor in 10-14 ounces of water.
It is available for $29.99 and includes 60 servings.
4. Zeal Naturals — best low sugar electrolyte supplement
Many sports drinks often include added sugars to enhance overall palatability. However, this usually results in excessively sweet products that do not fulfill the dietary requirements of many. Zeal Naturals marks the difference in the market, delivering a formula with essential electrolytes, vitamins, and BCAA with zero sugars or calories added.
Excessive sweating, sickness, or hangover may exacerbate dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. In these instances, the loss of water-soluble vitamins and electrolytes may cause discomfort and fatigue. Zeal’s Naturals formula with potassium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B-complex, and BCAAS may target these imbalances, helping to hydrate, sustain, and replenish the body.
Zeal Naturals Enhanced Electrolytes Powder also stands out in quality, holding its products to stringent manufacturing standards and third-party testing to deliver exceptional supplements for its customers.
The brand recommends mixing 1 scoop (5.4 g) in 14-16 oz of water. It is available for $32.99 and contains 90 servings.
5. Naked Nutrition — best electrolyte powder sourced from vegan ingredients
For those seeking a low-sugar electrolyte to energize the body, Citrus Electrolytes may be the right match. Boasting Palatinose™, a low-glycemic smart carb, and 285 mg of potassium, the powder aims to support endurance and performance during intense exercise.
In the formula, Palatinose™ is proposed to enhance athletic stamina. The brand claims that this carbohydrate improves fat oxidation, helping to prolong and maintain energy during workouts. Moreover, potassium may assist in restoring electrolyte levels, a process vital to assist muscle function.
Naked's manufacturing practices involve rigorous isolation processes for Palatinose™. This process delivers top-notch quality and also prevents a sudden spike in blood sugar levels associated with added sugars. The product is also vegan and soy-free.
The brand recommends adding one stick to 8-16 oz of water and mixing thoroughly. It also recommends combining the product with a regular intake of unflavored water to achieve the best results.
It is available for $23.99 and contains 16 servings. The product comes in three different flavors — citrus, blueberry lemonade, and strawberry lemonade.
6. Cymbiotika — best electrolyte supplement for sickness
During periods of sickness, symptoms such as vomiting or reduced appetite can contribute to micronutrient imbalance, causing weakness and fatigue. Pure Hydration, powered by Cymbiotika, introduces a formula rich in electrolytes to hydrate and fortify the body when additional support is paramount for recovery.
The formula boasts magnesium, sodium, potassium, vitamin C, and B-complex to help replenish and strengthen the body. The vitamins in the formula may help support the immune system, while the electrolytes may work by supporting hydration and assisting nerve and muscle function. Among the ingredients in the formula, potassium stands out due to its potential properties to support healthy blood pressure and reduce calcium loss from bones.
The brand recommends mixing one electrolyte stick with 10-12 oz of cold water for best results. Moreover, the product features three flavors per package — watermelon, lychee, and lemon.
It is available for $38.00 and includes 21 pouches.
7. BulkSupplements.com — best sugar free electrolyte powder
Finding a product that openly discloses production and testing practices may be challenging. Fortunately, Bulksupplements.com stands out for its open manufacturing and testing policies. Potassium Bicarbonate, sourced from pharmaceutical-grade and lab-tested potassium, is a top-notch product to support electrolyte levels.
The product distinguishes itself for its straightforward formula, containing 640 mg of potassium bicarbonate without unnecessary additives. Engineered to promote healthy muscle, nerve, and heart function, the product may also play a role in hydrating the body, especially after exercise or profuse sweating.
The powder can be combined with meals or drinks due to its unflavored taste. Moreover, it is also vegan and free of sugar and gluten, making it an ideal option for diverse dietary preferences. It is available for $23.96 and includes 390 servings.
8. Waterboy — best clean electrolyte supplement
Waterboy introduces a low-calorie electrolyte formula with a palatable and enjoyable flavor to consume before, during, and after a workout session. With a unique blend of electrolytes, vitamins, and amino acids, Hydration + Athletic Recovery may become essential to hydrate and rejuvenate fitness lovers.
The formula features 400 mg of L-glutamine, an amino acid used in the biosynthesis of proteins and suggested to assist with body fatigue. This compound has been studied as an ally to support athletes, with some evidence pointing out its potential to improve muscle damage and reduce ammonia levels. The latter is a waste product generated by protein breakdown and may impact various bodily processes.
The brand recommends mixing the product with 12 or 20 oz of water, depending on taste preference. It is available for $24.99 and includes 15 packages
9. MTN OPS — best hydration powder to take outdoors
Most brands often create formulas that are exclusively intended to be mixed with water. This issue may present challenges for those looking for products to take on the go, especially during outdoor activities. MTN OPS aims to provide a solution for outdoor lovers, creating a unique formula that can be taken directly in the mouth to rehydrate and recharge.
Electrolytes STM is not only easy to transport but also boasts a palatable flavor that makes the intake enjoyable and convenient. It features a blend of essential electrolytes, including potassium, magnesium, sodium, manganese, and zinc, to replenish those minerals lost during intense sweating. Moreover, it also contains coconut water powder and amino acids to support muscle function and enhance hydration.
MTN OPS also excels in its initiatives to give back to the community, creating a campaign where each purchase supports families in need. It is available for $29.95 and includes a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
10. Bare Performance Nutrition — best flavor in an electrolyte powder
Bare Performance introduces a simple yet effective formula to replenish minerals and vitamins during intense exercise. Featuring sodium, potassium, chloride, magnesium, and calcium, the product targets those fitness aficionados who tend to spend many hours in the gym.
The product is naturally sweetened and a standout in flavor, streamlining its intake during workout sessions. Moreover, its full electrolyte profile is aimed at reducing dehydration and enhancing energy levels during exercise.
Bare Performance is also third-party tested and certified by Informed Sport, making it an ideal option for athletes. The brand recommends mixing one scoop in 12-16 oz of water to enhance hydration and electrolyte balance. It can be used in training sessions but also during days with intense temperatures to prevent overheating.
It is available for $44.99 and includes 50 servings per pack.
Comparison of the best electrolyte powders
|Sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, CBD
|Relaxation after work-out
|Potassium, sodium, magnesium, and taurine
|Hydration during and after workout
|Potassium, sodium, magnesium, antioxidants and coconut water
|Hydration during and after workout
|Potassium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B-complex and BCAAS
|Hydrate and recover
|Palatinose™ and potassium
|Hydration during and after workout
|Magnesium, sodium, potassium, vitamin C, and B-complex
|Hydration and recovery from sickness
|Hydration during and after workout
|Sodium, vitamin B-12, and L- glutamine
|Hydration during and after workout
|Potassium, magnesium, sodium, manganese, and zinc
|Hydration during and after workout
|Bare Performance Nutrition
|Sodium, potassium, chloride, magnesium, and calcium
|Hydration during and after workout
What are electrolyte powders?
Electrolyte powders are dietary supplements containing electrolytes to support various bodily processes, including hydration, nerve signaling, and muscle function. Electrolytes are substances that have an electrical charge when dissolved in water and naturally occur in both food and the human body.
Some of the most crucial electrolytes encompass sodium, potassium, chloride, magnesium, calcium, phosphate, and bicarbonate. Sodium is particularly important as it plays a key role in regulating extracellular fluid balance, maintaining blood pressure, and ensuring proper cell function. Its disbalance causes the most frequent electrolyte disorder, hyponatremia, characterized by headaches, confusion, or nausea.
Electrolyte powders may also include other nutrients, such as amino acids and vitamins, to elevate their formulas and enhance their hydrating effects. Furthermore, these products are tailored to a wide range of individuals, providing powders that align with various dietary preferences and lifestyle choices.
Benefits of electrolyte powder
Electrolyte powders may be an optimal choice to take during workout sessions, sickness periods, or amid intense temperatures to revitalize and nourish the body. Some of the benefits of these powders include
- Hydration. During intense physical activity, the body tends to sweat profusely, affecting mineral and vitamin levels. Replenishing the body with electrolytes is key to helping regulate fluid and nutrient levels while preventing dehydration symptoms such as fatigue or headache.
- Nerve and muscle function. Electrolytes contribute to the transmission of nerve impulses. Sodium, potassium, and calcium are especially important to support neuron communication, playing a fundamental role in optimal nerve function. Additionally, electrolytes such as calcium and magnesium are beneficial to support muscle function.
- Blood pressure. Some electrolytes, such as potassium, contribute to the maintenance of normal blood pressure. For this reason, replenishing potassium levels may reduce the risk of developing high blood pressure or other conditions.
Who can benefit from using electrolyte powder?
Electrolyte supplements are usually advertised online as a substitute for water, with some even stating that daily consumption should be a must. However, it is important to acknowledge that you can get the necessary amount of electrolytes from a balanced diet and water intake. Nevertheless, electrolyte powders may be beneficial in some cases:
- Intensive exercise or sweating. Electrolytes are a good choice for those fitness fanatics who take part in prolonged, sweat-inducing workouts. Moreover, those engaging in outdoor physical activities in high temperatures should also consider electrolytes, especially in drink format.
- Sickness. Those experiencing vomiting or diarrhea may find electrolyte supplements beneficial to help restore lost nutrients during illness and prevent dehydration.
- Hangovers. Since consuming alcohol may lead to dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, and drops in water-soluble vitamins, hangover supplementation with potassium, calcium, magnesium, chloride, and other electrolytes may be helpful to support recovery.
Choosing the best electrolyte powder
After discovering our raking of the best hydration powder supplements, some doubts may remain still in many. Fear not, as it is natural to face challenges in selecting a product that fits like a glove. With so many ingredients, proposed benefits, and flavors, how do you choose the right electrolyte product?
- Format. It is important to select a product that aligns with your lifestyle. While packages are easy for on-the-go use, whether at the gym or during outdoor activities, packages with scoops may be more challenging to measure the appropriate dosage accurately.
- Dietary preferences. Choosing an optimal electrolyte powder also means aligning it with your dietary preferences. If you have any allergens such as dairy, gluten, or soy, you may want to purchase products suitable with your dietary needs.
- Caffeine. Some electrolyte powders include caffeine to stimulate and energize the body during workouts. However, this ingredient does not help replenish electrolytes and may counteract the hydrating effects of other electrolytes due to its diuretic nature. Regardless, it's your choice to seek those formulas that include or do not include caffeine.
- Testing. The FDA does not screen supplements, so many brands neglect to undergo testing on their products. This is not only an unethical practice but also presents some issues regarding ingredient quantity and overall safety. Therefore, it is best to select formulas that test their powders.
How to safely and effectively use electrolyte powder?
Electrolyte powders should only be consumed in specific situations, such as intense exercise, dehydration, vomiting, or hangovers. Electrolytes should never be overly consumed or treated as a substitute for water. Furthermore, taking them in excess may lead to various health conditions; for example, high levels of sodium may cause hypernatremia, which can lead to dizziness or vomiting.
Therefore, before using any electrolyte powder, it is important to follow the provider’s recommendations on dosage and consider the intended purpose. Pregnant or breastfeeding individuals should consult with a healthcare provider on the usage of these supplements.
What the research says: the science behind electrolyte powder
Electrolytes are key for basic life functioning, such as maintaining electrical neutrality in cells and assisting in the transmission of signals in the nerves and muscles. They are present in bodily fluids such as blood, urine, and sweat, and their optimal balance is essential to maintain hydration, cellular function, muscle and nerve function, and body homeostasis.
However, due to sweating, vomiting, or diarrhea, their levels can be imbalanced, disrupting normal bodily functions and leading to negative consequences in the body, such as dizziness, headaches, and fatigue, among others. For this reason, it is crucial to replenish their levels during intense exercise or sickness, assisting in hydration and maintaining fluid balance in the body.
Moreover, there are other properties associated with electrolytes that are currently under study such as endurance or muscle recovery. In a study from 2021 with ten male participants in their 20s, it was suggested that electrolyte water may increase the capacity to retain water, as well as improve exercise and recovery ability compared to water. In another study from 2013 analyzing 26 runners' intake of electrolytes in extreme heat, it was found that runners who finished the race ingested fluid at a greater rate than non-finishers.
Best electrolyte powder: conclusion
Electrolyte powders can be a great companion during intense physical activity, sickness, or high temperatures due to their potential to hydrate and replenish minerals in the body. Their action can also support bodily processes such as blood pressure, homeostasis, and muscle and nerve function.
Moreover, some limited evidence points out their potential to assist in body recovery and physical performance. However, further research in this field is needed to confirm its promising properties to aid fitness lovers.
In any case, there is a wide variety of electrolyte powders on the market, with products tailored to multiple dietary preferences and lifestyle choices. We hope you discovered among these top-notch electrolyte powders the right one for you.
Discover other supplements to implement into your routine
Combat fatigue and stay on top of your game with energy supplements.
Discover the universe of ashwagandha supplements to support wellness.
Replenish and recover after a night with hangover drinks.
Tap into the benefits of green powder and its high concentration of micronutrients.
Enhance protein intake and potentially aid muscle recovery with protein shakes.
Are electrolyte powders good for you?
Yes. In case of heavy sweating or sickness, the body loses essential nutrients and vitamins. Replenishing them with electrolyte powders can help to balance nutrient levels and hydrate the body. However, it is important to note that a healthy and well-balanced diet is enough to keep an optimal level.
Is it safe to take an electrolyte powder every day?
Strongly disadvised. High levels of certain electrolytes may cause toxicity. Therefore, they should be taken exclusively in instances of water loss, such as high-intensity exercise, sickness, or exposure to high temperatures. In any case, it is always best to consult with your doctor on the usage of these supplements.
What is the best electrolyte powder?
Depends. There are a lot of powders tailored to the needs of multiple consumers. Some include caffeine, others zero sugar, others demand a daily dosage, etc. The best electrolyte powder will be the most suitable one for your lifestyle and dietary needs.
What is the best form of electrolytes to take?
It varies. Ultimately the best form to take electrolytes is through various meals as part of a balanced diet. Powders should only be consumed due to heightened demands in the body, such as exercise or sickness.
- National Academies Press (US). Recommended Dietary Allowances: 10th Edition.
- Journal of the American College of Nutrition. Food Intake and Electrolyte Status of Ultramarathoners Competing in Extreme Heat.
- Applied sciences. Effects of Electrolyte Supplements on Body Water Homeostasis and Exercise Performance during Exhaustive Exercise.
- Clinical Medicine Journal. Fluid, electrolytes and nutrition.
- Nutrients. Glutamine as an Anti-Fatigue Amino Acid in Sports Nutrition.