Collagen is one of the building blocks of the human body, found in the skin, joints, and other tissues. As we age, collagen production decreases, leading to fine lines and potential joint aches or muscle atrophy.
Collagen supplementation is often used to enhance collagen levels and may be helpful for certain indications. For instance, it may improve skin elasticity and reduce fine lines. Liquid collagen is one of the most popular forms of collagen supplements. As there are many products to choose from, we have curated a selection of the best liquid collagen products, that, in our opinion, are worth considering.
Top picks for the best liquid collagen: a shortlist
- MS Hair — best liquid collagen with hyaluronic acid
- SkinTe — best liquid collagen drink for skin
- Effective Natural Products — best liquid collagen with the highest collagen amount
- Absolute Collagen — best clinically-tested liquid marine collagen
- Greenhouse — best vegan product that may stimulate collagen biosynthesis
How did we choose the best liquid collagen products?
While composing the list, we applied the criteria outlined below. It's important to note that this list exclusively reflects our research conducted based on the criteria listed below to determine the best liquid collagen supplements.
|Amount of collagen||Adequate quantities of collagen|
|Collagen form||May be easily absorbed|
|Additional ingredients||Includes other beneficial ingredients|
|Price||Starting from $1.87 per serving|
- Amount of collagen. Studies examining the effects of collagen have found that collagen supplementation can yield benefits when taken in daily doses ranging from 2.5 to 10 grams. However, even at lower doses of 10 mg per day, certain benefits have been observed.
- Collagen form. Collagen hydrolysate or collagen peptides are more likely to affect the body as they are more easily absorbed than intact collagen or gelatin.
- Additional ingredients. We favored the products that include other active ingredients that may also be beneficial for one’s skin, joints, or collagen biosynthesis in general.
- Price. While price is an important factor in choosing a product, we picked products that do not compromise on quality to lower their pricing.
Best liquid collagen for women and men: overview
If you're looking for a supplement that can benefit your skin or joints, collagen may be a good choice. But as there are a plethora of options to choose from, so to lay down what is the best liquid collagen, we crafted a list of the best liquid collagen products according to our criteria. This list includes high-quality products that we believe can provide certain benefits you're looking for.
1. MS Hair — top rated liquid collagen with hyaluronic acid
The Hair Boost Collagen Drink from MS Hair stands out as an excellent option among liquid collagen products both for women and men.
One serving of MS Hair provides 10,000 mg of collagen, aligning with clinical trials that have yielded promising results using 2,500 mg to 10,000 mg of this protein. Moreover, the collagen in MS Hair has been hydrolyzed into peptides, making it more bioavailable than pure collagen.
MS Hair incorporates a range of additional active ingredients with potential benefits for both skin and joint health. Notably, it includes vitamin C, an essential component in collagen biosynthesis, and hyaluronic acid, a well-regarded ingredient in skin and joint care supplements.
A single bottle of MS Hair Collagen Drink (500 ml) is sold for $49.99, offering 20 servings at a rate of $2.49 per serving (25 ml).
2. SkinTe — top-rated liquid collagen drink
SkinTe is an innovative beverage that harmoniously blends sparkling tea with liquid collagen.
SkinTe delivers 3,000 mg of bioavailable bovine collagen peptides, known for their easy absorption due to their smaller size, and for their similarity to human skin collagen.
SkinTe offers a diverse range of flavors — five to be exact — and includes such options as green tea grapefruit, black raspberry, and lemon lime.
Moreover, some SkinTe drink flavors contain caffeine, owing to their foundational green or black tea composition, and could be a great substitute for your morning cup of coffee.
SkinTe also boasts antioxidants such as vitamin C, an important component in collagen production.
A pack of 12 cans of SkinTe is currently sold for $35.88, which means that each can (355 ml) cost $2.99.
3. Effective Natural Products — best liquid collagen with the highest collagen amount
Effective Natural Products (ENP) is a minimalistic collagen product suitable for both women and men. From active ingredients, it only contains collagen itself and offers the highest amount of collagen among all the products we reviewed, a generous 15 grams (or 15,000 mg) per serving.
The collagen in ENP is derived from bovines. This type of collagen shows the most similarities to human skin and thus is preferable to other animal collagen products.
This collagen supplement was made in a cGMP-complying facility located in the USA.
One bottle of ENP liquid collagen (960 ml) is retailed at $59.95. With 32 servings per bottle, one serving (30 ml) comes to $1.87.
4. Absolute Collagen — best clinically-tested liquid collagen supplement
Marine Liquid Collagen Drink by Absolute Collagen is a liquid collagen product that also contains vitamin C, a well-known vitamin needed for collagen production. One serving of this product delivers 8,000 mg of hydrolyzed marine collagen peptides.
Moreover, as provided on the website, a clinical trial was conducted with this collagen product and showed positive results. However, the exact reference to the clinical trial is not available on the website.
Absolute Collagen is manufactured in the United Kingdom. Their products can be shipped internationally to some European and North American countries, but that does not include the USA. At the moment, one pack of 14 sachets of this product is retailed at £33.99 (around $41.22). As one serving is one sachet (10ml), Absolute Collagen would cost you £2.43 (or $2.95) per day.
5. Greenhouse — best vegan supplement that may help stimulate collagen production
Glow by Greenhouse is a collagen precursor supplement, meaning it doesn't contain collagen itself but rather a blend of various components that may support collagen formation. The main ingredients in this product are aloe vera, tremella mushroom, and pomegranate. As Glow is plant-based, it can be consumed by vegans and vegetarians.
Tremella mushroom is noteworthy for its proline content, a significant amino acid found in collagen. Nonetheless, the scientific consensus on whether supplementing this specific amino acid effectively boosts collagen production remains inconclusive.
Pomegranate, on the other hand, is rich in polyphenols, a compound that possesses the ability to mitigate oxidative stress. Oxidative stress is one of the contributors to accelerated skin damage and can consequently hasten the onset of aging signs.
Lastly, Glow by Greenhouse is packed with vitamin C which is needed for collagen production.
The smallest package of this Greenhouse product consists of 3 bottles and costs $15, meaning Glow is currently priced at $5 per bottle (60 ml).
Comparing the best liquid collagen supplements
|Brand||Price per container/pack||Price per serving||Collagen amount||Collagen form||Other beneficial ingredients|
|MS Hair||$49.99||$2.49||10,000 mg||Marine collagen peptides||Vitamin and mineral complex (including vitamin C), MSM, silica, green tea extract, aloe vera, citrus bioflavonoids, hyaluronic acid|
|SkinTe||$35.88||$2.99||3,000 mg||Bovine collagen peptides||Vitamin C, green tea|
|Effective Natural Products||$59.95||$1.87||15,000 mg||Bovine collagen||N/A|
|Absolute Collagen||£33.99*||£2.43*||3,000 mg||Marine collagen peptides||Vitamin C|
|Greenhouse||$15||$5||N/A||N/A||Aloe vera, tremella mushroom, and pomegranate|
* — Does not deliver to the USA.
While some individual active ingredients in dietary supplements may have been studied for their potential benefits discussed in this article, their interactive effects, as well as the safety and effectiveness of the overall formulation has not been fully established.
What is liquid collagen?
Collagen is a protein naturally present in animal and human tissues. In fact, approximately 75% of the skin's dry weight consists of collagen. However, as we get older, our bodies produce less collagen, leading to the development of fine lines and wrinkles. Liquid collagen supplements are designed to provide extra collagen, aiming to diminish the visible signs of aging.
On the market, you can find various forms of collagen supplements: liquid, powder, tablets, gummies, and so on. Liquid collagen is not superior when it comes to effectivity, but it may be more convenient for some individuals.
Types of liquid collagen
There are at least 28 types of collagen, with types 1, 2, and 3 being the most prevalent in humans, comprising roughly 80-90% of collagen in our bodies.
|Type 1||Most abundant in tendons, bones, and skin.|
|Type 2||Most abundant in cartilage.|
|Type 3||Most abundant in skin, muscles, and blood vessels.|
Most supplements typically contain a combination of type 1 and type 3 collagen because they are best suited for achieving desired skin-related results. Type 2 may be the most suitable for joint health.
Benefits of liquid collagen
Liquid collagen, like any other collagen supplement, may have various benefits. The most extensively studied benefits pertain to the enhancement of skin and joint health.
Liquid collagen supplementation may enhance skin hydration, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, and boost elasticity. However, the skin's overall appearance is influenced by various factors like diet, hydration, exercise, UV protection, and sleep. Moreover, smoking and excessive alcohol can lead to dull or dehydrated skin. Collagen supplements may have additional support for the skin when these previously mentioned factors are in place.
For joint health
Individuals with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis may benefit from collagen supplements as they may reduce joint pain caused by these conditions. Keep in mind that collagen supplements can not treat or prevent these conditions. You should always consult your healthcare provider before starting a new supplement, especially if you have an underlying condition.
Collagen supplementation is also popular amongst fitness enthusiasts. A systematic review of exercise and collagen supplementation has suggested that there may be modest improvements in muscle recovery and strength while taking collagen. However, it was noted that these effects were more prominent in older participants.
How to choose the best liquid collagen for your specific needs?
There are many factors to consider when searching for the best liquid collagen products. Below are some factors to consider before committing to a purchase.
- Amount of collagen. Make sure that a supplement contains adequate amounts of collagen. In clinical trials, skin benefits have been observed at doses from 2.5 to 10 grams per day. Some benefits have been reported at lower doses of 10 mg per day.
- Collagen form. Opt for collagen forms that can be easily absorbed. These forms include hydrolyzed collagen or collagen peptides.
- Collagen formulation. As there are several benefits related to collagen, opt for products that are specifically formulated for certain indications such as skin or joint health. Additional ingredients in these products may offer some specific benefits for their intended use.
- Collagen type. Type 1 and 3 collagen products are better suited for skin, while joint supplements containing collagen usually include type 2.
- Total servings. The positive effects of collagen supplementation become apparent with prolonged usage. For instance, studies that have demonstrated improvements in skin appearance and moisture levels did so after consistent collagen supplementation for 8 to 25 weeks.
Who should not take liquid collagen?
In general, oral collagen is considered to be generally safe to consume. In most cases, clinical trials on collagen supplementation did not report any adverse effects.
However, for some individuals with a risk of kidney stone formation, high-dosage collagen supplementation may increase the risk of kidney stones by raising urine oxalate levels.
It is important to consult your healthcare provider before you start any supplement, especially if you have any underlying conditions.
Choosing the best liquid collagen for skin — conclusion
Collagen is a vital component of the human body. As its production naturally declines with age, some individuals may turn to collagen supplementation, with liquid collagen being a convenient option. For example, liquid collagen supplementation may help reduce the signs of skin aging. Always look for collagen products that deliver adequate amounts of collagen and have high bioavailability.
Discover other supplements
Best resveratrol supplements that may have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Best supplements for muscle gain that may help you get the most out of your workouts.
Best supplements for joint pain that provide support for joints and ligaments.
Best supplements for skin health that may hydrate the skin, improve its elasticity, and reduce aging signs.
Consider best collagen cream for face that may help boost collagen production.
Incorporate a collagen serum into your routine to reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
Best collagen for wrinkles and healthy skin might help retain elasticity of the skin.
What are the benefits of liquid collagen?
Liquid collagen could potentially have several benefits, including improved skin elasticity, hydration, and reduction of fine lines and wrinkles. It has been also studied for joints and may be beneficial for reducing joint pain.
What is the best liquid collagen for women?
Quality is the most important factor when choosing a liquid collagen product for women. A high-quality liquid collagen product should have an adequate amount of collagen and a good absorption rate. It may also include various other active ingredients that may aid collagen biosynthesis.
Is liquid collagen better than other forms of collagen?
Not necessarily. Liquid collagen is no more bioavailable than powdered collagen. However, some individuals may find liquid collagen more convenient, especially since you do not need to mix it with water as you would need to do so with powdered supplements.
- Journal of Drugs in Dermatology. Oral Collagen Supplementation: A Systematic Review of Dermatological Applications.
- International Journal of Dermatology. Effects of hydrolyzed collagen supplementation on skin aging: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Nutrients. A Collagen Supplement Improves Skin Hydration, Elasticity, Roughness, and Density: Results of a Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Blind Study.
- Amino Acids. The effects of collagen peptide supplementation on body composition, collagen synthesis, and recovery from joint injury and exercise: a systematic review.