Mushrooms for dogs are gaining recognition in the field of holistic animal care. The utilization of medicinal mushrooms for dogs can offer various health benefits that support their overall well-being.
The practice of incorporating mushrooms into a dog's diet, such as through mushroom powder, chews, or capsules for dogs, is emerging as a natural way to enhance their immune system, manage allergies, and even support general vitality.
Best medicinal mushrooms for dogs: a shortlist
- Real Mushrooms Relax Pet Chews — best soothing mushroom supplement for dogs
- Real Mushrooms Lion’s Mane Capsules for Pets — best lion’s mane capsule supplement for dogs
- Wild Earth — most comprehensive blend of medicinal mushrooms for dogs
- Real Mushrooms 5 Defenders — best key medicinal mushroom blend for dogs
- Real Mushrooms Lion's Mane powder — best lion’s mane powder for dogs
How to choose the best mushrooms for dogs
When selecting the best medicinal mushrooms for dogs, certain criteria should be considered to ensure safety and efficacy:
|Quality of ingredients||Organic, pesticide-free ingredients|
|Reputable provider||Trusted brand known for quality products|
|Dosage and price||Best value for money|
|Third-party testing||Unbiased validation of the product's quality|
|Specific needs match||Supplements that cater to your dog's particular needs|
- Quality of ingredients. Choose mushrooms for dogs that are free from pesticides and artificial additives. The best mushroom supplement for dogs will contain pure, organic ingredients.
- Reputable provider. Look for a brand that is known for producing high-quality mushroom powder for dogs. A reputable provider will ensure the product's integrity and effectiveness.
- Dosage and price. Compare the dosage in relation to the price to find a mushroom supplement for dogs that offers good value for money.
- Third-party testing. Ensure that the medicinal mushrooms for dogs are third-party tested.
- Specific needs match. Look for specialized mushroom supplements that address particular concerns, such as immunity enhancement or allergy relief.
Best mushroom supplements for dogs in 2023: an overview
In our quest for the best medicinal mushrooms for dogs, we delved deep into top prominent brands. Our rigorous review process assessed each based on crucial criteria: the quality of ingredients, third-party testing, overall value, customer reviews, and the variety of mushroom species, among others. Dive in to discover the most potent and trusted mushroom supplement for your pet.
1. Real Mushrooms Relax Pet Chews — best soothing mushroom supplement for dogs
Real Mushrooms Relax Pet Chews offer an innovative blend of reishi and lion's mane mushrooms, combined with chicken liver, to create a delightful soft chew treat that your furry friends can enjoy.
What sets this treat apart is the soothing amino acids, L-tryptophan and L-theanine, making it an excellent choice during travel, stressful noises, or when guests are present. For feline friends, the inclusion of catnip and valerian root extract adds a unique appeal. Customer satisfaction is evident in the unanimously five-star reviews, reflecting the product's effectiveness and palatability.
The certified organic mushrooms and third-party testing further ensure quality and safety, enhancing its reputation as a premium mushroom supplement for dogs and cats. While chicken liver might not be suitable for pets with specific protein allergies, it's a standout product for those seeking natural ways to soothe their pets.
A bottle of 60 chews costs $34.95 ($0.58 per chew).
2. Real Mushrooms Lion’s Mane Capsules for Pets — best lion’s mane capsule supplement for dogs
Real Mushrooms Lion's Mane Capsules for Pets offers a carefully crafted supplement with hot water extract from 100% lion's mane mushrooms, also maintaining all non-water soluble components within the same capsule.
This 300 mg formulation, provided in a 120-pill package, is free from added starch, mycelium, or grain, focusing solely on the beneficial aspects of the lion's mane. While the absence of mycelium extract might be a missed opportunity to include several valuable mushroom compounds, the purity of the product is commendable.
The certified organic mushrooms and third-party testing underscore the commitment to quality, and the fact that it's made in an NSF-certified facility in the USA gives an additional layer of trust. Overall, for pet owners seeking a focused mushroom supplement for dogs or other pets, this product stands as a reputable choice.
A bottle of 120 capsules costs $19.95 ($0.17 per capsule).
3. Wild Earth — most comprehensive blend of medicinal mushrooms for dogs
Wild Earth's stands out with its comprehensive mushroom supplement comprising a rich blend of 14 different types of organic mushrooms including reishi, cordyceps, chaga, and lion's mane, offering 200 mg of the blend in each serving.
While the extensive array of mushrooms provides a broad spectrum of potential benefits, the lack of specific concentrations of individual mushrooms might limit the targeted effects. The inclusion of a digestive enzyme blend and a probiotic blend of seven beneficial bacteria is a thoughtful addition, aiming to support digestion and overall gut health in dogs.
However, the absence of third-party testing information on the website and the ingredients not stated as organic raises some concerns regarding quality assurance. While offering a unique and multi-faceted approach to canine wellness, some might find the lack of specificity and transparency a drawback in this medicinal mushroom supplement for dogs.
60 peanut butter chews cost $30.00 ($0.50 per chew).
4. Real Mushrooms 5 Defenders — best key medicinal mushroom blend for dogs
Real Mushrooms 5 Defenders offers a blend of five significant medicinal mushrooms for dogs, including reishi, shiitake, maitake, turkey tail, and chaga — all extracted and encapsulated in a 300 mg capsule form.
The thoughtfully curated blend targets key areas of canine wellness — cognitive function, digestion support, immune defense, and energy support — providing a well-rounded approach to overall dog health.
The certified organic ingredients underscore a commitment to quality, further supported by third-party testing. While some pet owners might prefer individual mushroom supplements for targeted concerns, the comprehensive nature of the 5 Defenders makes it an appealing choice for those looking to provide multiple benefits in a single supplement.
The assurance of quality and the focus on essential health aspects make this product a reliable addition to a dog's nutritional regimen.
90 capsules cost $23.95 ($0.26 per capsule).
5. Real Mushrooms Lion's Mane powder — best lion’s mane powder for dogs
Real Mushrooms lion’s mane bulk powder offers hot water extracted supplement from 100% lion's mane mushrooms. It is a versatile option that's suitable not just for humans but also for dogs, cats, and other pets — just sprinkle the required amount onto any food to enjoy the benefits.
The extraction method ensures that all non-water soluble components are retained, offering a full spectrum of benefits from the mushroom. Notably, however, only the fruiting body is included, with no mycelium extract, which is important for lion’s mane.
The certified organic mushrooms, verification at accredited
third-party labs, and manufacturing in an NSF certified facility in the
USA, all testify to the product's high quality.
While the product is designed with human consumption in mind, the features that make it appealing for people — such as its purity, organic certification, and quality assurance — are equally relevant for pets.
The product offers a seamless way to incorporate the cognitive and overall health benefits of lion's mane into a pet's diet, although consultation with a veterinarian is advisable to determine appropriate dosing and suitability.
60 servings cost $29.95 ($0.50 per serving).
Comparing the best medicinal mushrooms for dogs
|Brand||Price per serving||Price per bottle||Servings||Form||Mushroom species||Additional ingredients|
|Real Mushrooms Relax Pet Chews||$0.58||$34.95||60||Chews||2||7|
|Real Mushrooms Lion’s Mane Capsules for Pets||$0.17||$19.95||120||Capsules||1||0|
|Real Mushrooms 5 Defenders||$0.26||$23.95||90||Capsules||5||0|
|Real Mushrooms Lion's Mane powder||$0.50||$29.95||60||Powder||1||0|
How did we compile our list of the best mushrooms for dogs
Selecting the best medicinal mushrooms for dogs requires careful consideration and rigorous assessment. In our compilation, we applied a meticulous approach, taking into account various essential criteria to present the most suitable options for your canine companions.
- Understanding the benefits. We focused on mushrooms for dog benefits, exploring how each type of mushroom contributes to health. From immunity support to managing allergies, the specific advantages were thoroughly analyzed — making sure they align with common canine needs.
- Form and presentation. Whether in the form of mushroom powder for dogs or other supplements, the ease of administration was a key factor. We ensured that the selected products offered convenient methods for incorporating medicinal mushrooms into a dog's daily routine.
- Customer reviews and testimonials. Real-world experiences from other dog owners played a significant part in our selection process. Products with positive feedback regarding their effectiveness and safety were given preference.
- Scientific backing. We sought products with sound scientific evidence supporting their claims. This included looking at clinical studies and research related to chaga mushroom dogs supplements, reishi mushrooms for dogs, and other medicinal mushrooms, ensuring a foundation of proven efficacy.
- Ethical sourcing and sustainability. Considering the environment, we looked for brands that practice ethical sourcing and promote sustainability. The focus was on finding products that not only benefit our furry friends but also contribute positively to our planet.
Are mushrooms good for dogs?
Mushrooms can indeed be good for dogs, but it's essential to differentiate between edible medicinal mushrooms and potentially toxic wild ones.
Medicinal mushrooms like chaga and reishi have been shown to benefit dogs by supporting the immune system, aiding in allergy relief, and promoting overall health. These benefits can be harnessed through specially formulated mushroom supplements for dogs, such as mushroom powder or capsules.
However, not all mushrooms are safe for canine consumption, so it is crucial to consult with a veterinarian or a pet nutrition specialist to select the appropriate mushroom supplement for dogs and avoid any wild mushrooms that may be harmful.
Medicinal mushroom types for dogs
The world of medicinal mushrooms for dogs is vast and full of potential benefits for our four-legged friends. Ranging from immune support to allergy relief, different types of mushrooms offer various health-enhancing properties. Let's delve into some specific types and what they can offer to dogs.
Reishi mushrooms for dogs
Reishi mushrooms are renowned for their adaptogenic properties, making them one of the most popular medicinal mushrooms for dogs. Their key benefits include:
- Immune system support
- Allergy relief
- Stress reduction
Shiitake mushrooms contain essential nutrients and antioxidants that promote overall health in dogs. Their key benefits include:
- Nutritional support
- Liver function improvement
- Anti-cancer properties
Turkey tail mushrooms
Rich in polysaccharides, turkey tail mushrooms are known for their powerful immune-modulating capabilities. Their key benefits include:
- Immune system enhancement
- Support in cancer treatment
- Gut health promotion
Maitake mushrooms can stimulate the immune system and provide support for various bodily functions in dogs. Their key benefits include:
- Immune modulation
- Blood sugar regulation
- Weight control
Cordyceps mushrooms are famed for their ability to enhance energy and stamina in dogs. Their key benefits include:
- Increased energy levels
- Respiratory support
- Kidney function improvement
Overall mushroom benefits for dogs
Medicinal mushrooms for dogs are not just a trend but a scientifically-backed approach to enhance canine health and well-being. These nature-derived supplements are known for their multifaceted benefits that cater to various aspects of a dog's life.
Let's explore some of these remarkable advantages in detail:
- General wellness & immune enhancement. Medicinal mushrooms like reishi bolster the immune system, helping dogs fight off illnesses more effectively. These adaptogenic properties can make the dog's body more resilient to stress and disease, supporting overall vitality.
- Nutritional enrichment & liver health. Mushrooms like shiitake are packed with essential nutrients and antioxidants that nourish a dog's body. They also promote healthy liver function, aiding in detoxification and ensuring the smooth functioning of one of the body's most vital organs.
- Immune support & cancer adjunct therapy. Turkey tail mushrooms offer powerful immune-modulating capabilities, making them particularly useful in supporting cancer treatment. By enhancing the body's natural defenses, these mushrooms can aid in combating cancer cells, providing an additional layer of therapeutic support.
- Metabolic support & weight management. Maitake mushrooms are known to modulate the immune system and help regulate blood sugar levels. This can assist in maintaining a healthy weight, making them beneficial for dogs prone to obesity or metabolic disorders.
- Athletic performance & energy enhancement. Cordyceps mushrooms are famous for boosting energy levels and stamina. For active or working dogs, these mushrooms can enhance performance, support the respiratory system, and improve kidney function, contributing to an energetic and healthy lifestyle.
Side effects of mushrooms for dogs
While medicinal mushrooms for dogs offer a host of benefits, it's essential to be aware of potential side effects and to administer them under proper guidance.
Like any supplement, medicinal mushrooms for dogs can sometimes lead to unexpected reactions, especially if given in improper doses or without understanding the specific needs of the dog.
Here's a brief list of potential side effects:
- Digestive upset. Some dogs might experience diarrhea or stomach upset, especially when introduced to mushroom supplements suddenly.
- Allergic reactions. Although rare, some dogs might have allergies to specific mushrooms.
- Drug interactions. Medicinal mushrooms might interact with other medications, altering their effectiveness.
Consulting with a veterinarian or pet nutrition specialist ensures that the appropriate mushroom supplement for dogs is chosen and administered safely.
Giving medicinal mushrooms to your dogs
Administering medicinal mushrooms to your dogs can be a straightforward process, but it's essential to know the best methods depending on the form of the supplement.
For tablets or capsules, mixing them with a favorite treat or meal can mask the taste and make consumption easier. Some dogs might even take them directly as a treat.
On the other hand, mushroom powder for dogs offers more flexibility, as it can be effortlessly blended into their regular food, ensuring a seamless integration of the supplement into their diet.
Regardless of the form, always follow the recommended dosage and consult with a veterinarian to ensure the best results.
Dosage of medicinal mushrooms for dogs
Determining the correct dosage of medicinal mushrooms for dogs is crucial to ensure effectiveness and avoid potential side effects. Dosage usually depends on factors such as the dog's weight, specific needs, and the type of mushroom supplement used.
Consulting with a veterinarian or following the product's guidelines is always the safest approach. Below is a general table that might guide you, but individual requirements may vary.
|Dog's weight||Recommended dosage|
|Under 10 lbs||Small dose, as directed|
|10–30 lbs||Medium dose, as directed|
|30–60 lbs||Standard dose, as directed|
|Over 60 lbs||Larger dose, as directed|
It's essential to stress that the above table is a general guideline, and consulting a specialist for precise dosing based on the particular medicinal mushroom and your dog's specific needs is always the best practice.
Our conclusion of the best medicinal mushrooms for dogs
In evaluating the diverse range of medicinal mushrooms for dogs, we find that they offer a promising pathway to holistic canine health.
From immunity modulating with chaga mushroom dogs supplements to allergy relief through reishi mushrooms for dogs, selecting the right mushroom supplement for dogs can make a meaningful impact on their well-being, provided it's done with careful consideration and professional guidance.
Other reviewed products for pets
The best probiotic supplements for dogs to help with digestion & general gut wellness.
Top CBD oils for dogs to convey CBD benefits for your four-legged friends.
Best CBD treats for dog if you prefer administering the supplements via chews.
The best CBD oil for cats may help with your friend's well-being.
Can dogs eat maitake mushrooms?
Yes, dogs can eat maitake mushrooms, particularly when they are part of a specially formulated supplement for canine consumption. Maitake mushrooms may support immune function and help regulate blood sugar levels in dogs. As with any supplement, it's best to consult a veterinarian for proper dosage and guidance.
Can you give medicinal mushrooms to dogs?
Yes, medicinal mushrooms can be given to dogs as part of a balanced diet to support various health aspects like immunity and energy levels. Reishi, chaga, and cordyceps are commonly used. Choose a reputable product specifically designed for dogs and consult a veterinarian for proper dosage.
Is Lion's Mane good for dogs?
Yes, Lion's Mane is considered good for dogs when provided as a part of a controlled supplement. Lion's Mane can support brain function and overall nerve health in dogs. As with other medicinal mushrooms, it's advisable to consult with a veterinarian for appropriate dosing and use.
Is reishi safe for dogs?
Yes, reishi is generally considered safe for dogs when given in appropriate amounts as part of a supplement specifically designed for canine use. Reishi mushrooms are known for their immune-modulating and stress-reducing properties. As with any supplement, consulting with a veterinarian to determine the right dosage and product is essential.
- Frontiers in Pharmacology. Anti-cancer activity of Chaga mushroom (Inonotus obliquus) against dog bladder cancer organoids.
- Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine. Mushroom-Derived Maitake PETfraction as Single Agent for the Treatment of Lymphoma in Dogs.
- Integrative Medicine. Immune Modulation From Five Major Mushrooms: Application to Integrative Oncology.