Nootropic coffees are a recent breakthrough in the coffee industry, offering a convenient means to tap into cognitive benefits, enhance focus, and increase overall productivity. Infused with natural compounds, nootropic coffees combine the effects of caffeine with the cognitive-enhancing properties of nootropics, providing a revitalizing solution for staying alert and improving productivity throughout the day.
Choosing the right nootropics coffee that suits your individual needs can pose a challenge due to the wide variety of products available on the market, the varying individual responses, and the diverse array of ingredient combinations.
Therefore, this article presents the best nootropic coffees currently available on the market.
Best nootropic coffee: shortlist
- Superhuman — best nootropic coffee for gut health
- London Nootropics — best nootropic coffee bundle
- Grateful Earth — best nootropic coffee with spices
- Four Sigmatic — best organic nootropic coffee
- VitaCup — best nootropic coffee with vitamins
How to choose the best nootropic coffee in 2024?
When selecting the best nootropic coffee, going beyond mere cost is essential. To assist you in making an informed decision, we have compiled a list of fundamental criteria and outlined their significance.
|Safety and quality
|Responsible manufacturing and sourcing
|Pleasant coffee experience
|Roasted to preserve the natural flavors
- Ingredients. Look for a nootropic-rich coffee blend that incorporates nootropic ingredients known for their cognitive-enhancing properties. These could include compounds such as L-theanine, lion's mane or chaga mushrooms, alpha-GPC, taurine, or various herbal extracts.
- Safety and quality. You should opt for nootropic coffees from reputable providers, as this may ensure that only premium coffee is sourced and the products are produced to the highest quality standards.
- Flavor profile. A high-quality nootropics coffee should deliver a delightful taste, ensuring a pleasant coffee experience without sacrificing flavor.
- Roasting process. How coffee beans are roasted in the nootropics coffee can significantly impact their natural flavors. It is important to consider that different roast levels, such as light, medium, or dark, can produce distinct flavors and caffeine content.
Best nootropic coffee in 2024: overview
The increasing demand for functional beverages catering to cognitive well-being is evident in the growing presence of nootropic coffees in the market. These coffees provide a convenient way of incorporating nootropics into one's daily routine, and their popularity is now soaring due to their cognitive-enhancing properties.
Keep reading to explore the following list of the best nootropic coffee brands, each tailored to different needs, and find the perfect one for you.
1. Superhuman — best nootropic coffee for gut health
Superhuman Coffee catches the eye with its bold name and stands out further due to its exclusive blend infused with probiotics. The company encourages coffee lovers to swap their usual morning brew for Superhuman Coffee, promising a sharper mind and a healthier gut — all without sacrificing the authentic taste of coffee.
Perfect for those who regularly enjoy at least one cup of coffee daily, Superhuman boasts a composition of 100% arabica coffee grounds. This blend incorporates bioactive ingredients like taurine, L-theanine, alpha-GPC, and probiotics.
When considering allergen profiles, it's worth noting that Superhuman Coffee is free from nuts, soy, gluten, dairy, eggs, and shellfish. What’s more, it contains no added sugars, flavoring, or creamer to it.
Superhuman’s flavor profile incorporates notes of dark chocolate, molasses, and toasted malt, resulting in a perfectly brewed cup of nootropic coffee infused with a subtle chocolate undertone. Each 5.5 g serving packs approximately 96 mg of caffeine and can be served in both hot and cold preparations.
To obtain this nootropics coffee by Superhuman, simply visit their official website. Their default option, priced at $39, contains 30 servings per bag. Additionally, for those who drink a cup in the morning and in the afternoon, they also offer a 60-serving-sized option.
2. London Nootropics — best nootropic coffee bundle
The London Nootropics Starter Bundle is an offering that includes a nootropic-infused coffee package featuring each of the brand's three adaptogenic coffee blends. The formulation, as the makers assure, is made with barista-style coffee and high-quality adaptogens.
Designed to promote a balanced flow throughout the day, this coffee with nootropics comes in blends of Flow — for mental clarity and focus, Mojo — for endurance and vitality, and Zen — for a sense of calm.
Across the three blends, you will find ingredients like organic dual-extracted cordyceps and lion's mane mushroom extracts, ashwagandha root extract, and even broad-spectrum water-soluble CBD.
A Starter Bundle containing 12 sachet boxes of each London Nootropics adaptogenic coffee blend is priced at £40 for a one-time purchase as of today. You can get yours from their official website.
3. Grateful Earth — best nootropic coffee with spices
This nootropic coffee by Grateful Earth is, in fact, an instant coffee, yet its unique blend, rich in spices, allows it to rival brewed coffees. Specially formulated to provide a balanced boost of energy, it can enhance performance, focus, and creativity.
The above-mentioned blend of Grateful Earth's instant black coffee contains a distinct mix of ingredients, including L-theanine, lion's mane, chaga, turmeric, cinnamon, and black pepper.
Made with Arabica and Robusta beans, Grateful Earth nootropic mushroom coffee offers a rich and robust full-body flavor with hints of cinnamon. You can indulge in its deep flavor whether you prefer it as an espresso, americano, or iced coffee.
This nootropic coffee is GMP-certified, non-GMO, vegan, and gluten-free. One bag of Grateful Earth includes 20 servings, each containing 75 g of caffeine.
You can purchase your bag of Grateful Earth coffee from the official website, where it is priced at $32.99 for a one-time purchase.
4. Four Sigmatic — best organic nootropic coffee
With a memorable name for a nootropic coffee — Think — this Four Sigmatic product is a refreshing, organic cold brew that may brighten your mood, enhance focus, and boost energy.
This coffee with nootropics by Four Sigmatic earns a well-deserved spot as the best organic cold brew mushroom coffee, thanks to its exclusively organic blend. It is infused with organic log-grown lion's mane and organic yacon juice powder.
Four Sigmatic's Think is a dark-roast nootropic coffee with caffeine content similar to regular coffee. And, as the provider advertises, you will come for the feel and stay for the flavor, which is highlighted by notes of dark chocolate and nuts.
One bag of Think contains 340 g of coarse-grind coffee and includes 25 servings, with each serving being 2 tablespoons. Additionally, each coffee batch is third-party tested for heavy metals, mycotoxins, mold, yeast, and pesticides.
You can purchase it in bulk as packages of 2, 4, or 6 from the official provider's website. The one-time purchase of 2 Four Sigmatic coffee bags costs $38.
5. VitaCup — best nootropic coffee overall
Claiming the top spot on our list as the best overall nootropic coffee is VitaCup Focus Coffee. This mushroom-enhanced brew with additional vitamins is crafted to potentially enhance focus, memory, and concentration.
To deliver a transformative coffee experience that elevates the mind and helps conquer the day, VitaCup nootropic coffee is infused with five essential B vitamins, vitamin D3, lion's mane, chaga, and inulin.
In terms of flavor profile, VitaCup's nootropic mushroom coffee is a medium-dark roast ground coffee made with premium Arabica beans. It delivers a full-bodied flavor with sweet, earthy undertones and a smooth finish.
Each bag of VitaCup Focus contains 284 g of ground coffee, with each 11 mg serving providing 110 mg of caffeine.
One bag of VitaCup Focus is priced at $20 for a one-time purchase. It’s worth noting that with a subscription, you can enjoy a 25% discount.
Comparison of the top nootropic coffee brands
|Price per bag
|Servings per bag
|Price per serving
|Notes of dark chocolate, molasses, and toasted malt
|Sachets of 3.2 g, 3.3 g, and 3.5 g
|Earthy with hints of the natural plant and mushroom extracts
|Hints of cinnamon
|Notes of dark chocolate and nuts
|Sweet, earthy undertones
How we ranked the best nootropic coffees in 2024
In order to find the ideal nootropic coffee option that suits your individual needs, it is necessary to exercise due diligence and engage in thorough research. Therefore, to save you time and effort, we have taken it upon ourselves to perform this task on your behalf.
In compiling this list of the best nootropic coffees, we have considered the following factors:
- Ingredients. Considering that a high-quality nootropic coffee should consist of specific ingredients renowned for their cognitive-enhancing properties, our focus was on products that contain nootropics such as L-theanine, lion’s mane, chaga, and taurine, as well as vitamins.
- Brand reputation. The best nootropic coffees presented in this list come from reputable brands recognized for their commitment to quality. These brands excel in their sourcing and manufacturing processes, ensuring the inclusion of suitable ingredients.
- Flavor. The chosen brands provide nootropic coffees that strike a balance between the natural coffee taste and the cognitive-enhancing effects of the ingredients, ultimately delivering a delightful and satisfying flavor profile.
- Roast level. In essence, the choice of roast type comes down to personal preferences and the desired flavor experience when combined with nootropic ingredients. It is recommended to experiment with different roast profiles to find the one that best matches your preferences.
What is nootropic coffee and why you should take it?
Nootropic coffee, in essence, represents the fusion of two elements: coffee and nootropics. By combining coffee with the cognitive-enhancing benefits of nootropics, it becomes a “smart” coffee designed to improve cognitive function while fulfilling your caffeine needs.
The appeal of nootropic coffee lies not only in its ability to satisfy your caffeine needs but also in its convenient delivery of the ever-important benefits of nootropics. Whether you relish the invigorating kick-start this coffee provides in the morning or seek a midday boost to combat mental fatigue, nootropic coffee caters to both coffee enthusiasts and those striving to enhance their cognitive performance.
Nootropics, present in these coffees, are compounds that can have an effect on cognitive performance and increase concentration. They work by interacting with receptors in the brain and have anti-inflammatory properties.
What to look for in nootropic coffee?
If you're on the lookout for a nootropic coffee that works, there are several notable components worth considering, which contribute to the potential of these coffees to boost cognitive performance and offer health benefits. Below are some essential ingredients to keep in mind:
- Lion’s mane. This medicinal fungus has garnered considerable attention as a natural supplement for enhancing mental sharpness, boosting memory retention, and nurturing cognitive function in the brain.
- L-theanine. L-theanine, an amino acid abundant in tea leaves, especially in green tea, is known for its ability to induce relaxation and alleviate anxiety. When paired with caffeine, it can enhance focus and attention.
- Chaga. While research on chaga's specific cognitive-enhancing effects is limited, its potential antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties may indirectly support brain health.
- Taurine. Although commonly associated with energy drinks, taurine is an amino acid that can also be found in select nootropic formulations. Additionally, taurine with caffeine has been studied for its various benefits in athletic performance.
Are there side effects of taking nootropic coffee?
Similar to other supplements, nootropic coffees can also carry potential side effects, particularly when consumed contrary to the recommended guidelines.
Although coffees with nootropics are generally considered safe for the healthy adult population, a worrying trend called 'nootropics stacking' has emerged.
Nootropic stacking refers to the practice of combining different nootropics to leverage their benefits. However, it is important to note that these substances can interact in unintended ways, causing an increase in side effects.
When it comes to caffeine content, the side effects can vary from person to person, depending on factors such as individual sensitivity, the amount of coffee consumed, and overall health. It is widely recognized that coffee can induce restlessness, anxiety, and jitters, especially in those more prone to caffeine sensitivity.
Related articles about cognitive health
If you're seeking a convenient way to enjoy nootropics, the best nootropic drinks are certainly worth trying.
Should you desire to boost cognitive function, aim for these best nootropics to optimize brain health.
For those in need of ADHD support, consider the best nootropics for ADHD.
If you are a student, best nootropics for studying are worth considering.
If you have a sweet tooth, try taking best mushroom gummies to enhance cognitive health.
If you're aiming to reduce inflammation, you may want to try best mushroom coffee.
Is coffee a nootropic?
Yes. Coffee is, in fact, considered a nootropic. As we all know, coffee contains caffeine — a stimulant that can enhance alertness and focus. It stimulates the central nervous system and may improve cognitive performance and attention.
Should I take nootropics instead of coffee?
It depends. While nootropics may have suggested benefits such as improved focus and memory, the evidence for their use is still quite limited today. Coffee, on the other hand, has been a subject of research for many years. It can increase energy levels and alertness, but in some people, it may lead to jitters, nausea, or sleepless nights.
Who should avoid taking coffee with nootropics?
It varies. It is important to be cautious when taking coffee with nootropics if you have certain medical conditions or sensitivities. Additionally, if you are pregnant or nursing, a child, or taking specific medications, seeking guidance from a healthcare professional before consuming coffee along with nootropics is advisable.
Can nootropics help with ADHD?
They might. Even though nootropics have been explored as potential aids for ADHD, their effectiveness remains to be established. And, despite some showing benefits in managing ADHD symptoms, they should not be considered a substitute for prescription medications.
- Nutrients. Nootropics as Cognitive Enhancers: Types, Dosage and Side Effects of Smart Drugs.
- Nutrients. Does Single or Combined Caffeine and Taurine Supplementation Improve Athletic and Cognitive Performance without Affecting Fatigue Level in Elite Boxers? A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study.
- Drugs. Benefits and Harms of ‘Smart Drugs’ (Nootropics) in Healthy Individuals.