Nootropic drinks are brain-boosting beverages infused with natural compounds, renowned for their potential cognitive effects. These drinks with adaptogens and nootropics also typically contain vitamins and herbal extracts that can enhance focus, memory, and mental clarity.
As the demand for a tastier and more versatile nootropic solution grows, replacing traditional capsules with a refreshing nootropic drink becomes a no-brainer for anyone seeking a delightful cognitive boost. This, in turn, offers a more convenient and pleasurable way to consume nootropics and harness their cognitive benefits, especially during moments of low energy.
On that note, we invite you to explore the finest selection of nootropic drinks currently available on the market.
Best nootropic drink: shortlist
- Arete — best nootropic drink overall
- Testo Prime — best nootropic drink for men
- Superhuman — best nootropic drink with probiotics
- Magic Mind — best science-backed nootropic drink
- Bulletproof — best nootropic drink with vegetables
How to choose the best nootropic drink in 2023?
When it comes to choosing the best nootropic energy drink, there are several factors you should consider to make sure you find a product that aligns perfectly with your specific needs and preferences.
To guide you through this process and assist you in selecting the right nootropic drink, we have relied on the criteria below:
|Convenience||Ready-to-drink or powder form|
|Taste||Palatable with natural flavors|
|Safety profile||Third-party tested for quality and safety|
- Ingredients. It's essential to opt for nootropic drinks with adaptogens and nootropics. Ideally, you should seek a formula that incorporates ingredients like lion's mane, cordyceps, L-theanine, and L-taurine, along with other essential vitamins.
- Convenience. Nootropic drinks come in two forms: ready-to-drink (RTD) and powdered. While RTD drinks are pre-mixed and ready to consume anytime and anywhere, powdered ones offer greater flexibility in serving size and portability.
- Taste. With taste being subjective and personal preference playing a significant role, opt for a nootropic drink that is both palatable and incorporates natural flavors.
- Safety profile. To be sure that the content in the nootropic drink matches the ingredient label, seek out products that have been tested by independent third-party laboratories or hold relevant certifications.
Best nootropic drink in 2023: overview
As the cognitive-enhancing benefits of nootropic energy drinks continue to echo and their trend gains momentum, the market for these nootropic beverages expands, attracting a growing audience eager to unlock their full cognitive potential.
Stay with us as we reveal the top 4 nootropic drinks on the market and find the perfect one that resonates with your individual preferences.
1. Arete — best nootropic drink overall
Arete Root Strength is an adaptogen-powered energy blend that supports both the mind and body. It invites you to ditch the typical, so-called energy-boosting drinks and experience sustained energy and focus, along with potential cognitive benefits, with Root Strength instead.
Root Strength incorporates a thoughtfully curated selection of ingredients, each serving a distinct purpose and function. The formula combines 1400 mg of mushroom extracts with 160 mg of caffeine.
This nootropic drink by Arete can be enjoyed both hot and cold, at any time of the day. With its cocoa flavor, you can bid farewell to the days of forcing down tasteless supplements.
Created with the utmost care, each container of Root Strength offers 30 servings in powdered form, making it convenient to carry and use on the go.
You can purchase your bag of Arete’s Root Strength by visiting the official Arete website, where this nootropic energy drink is priced at $49.99 for a one-time purchase.
2. Testo Prime — best nootropic drink for men
Testo Prime Instant Energy nootropic drink is an advanced energy solution designed for men with demanding lifestyles, offering the extra boost they need to power through challenging days. Comprising a brilliant fusion of essential nutrients, this formulation of Testo Prime aims to enhance your energy levels, mental clarity, and mood.
Featuring 200 mg of caffeine, this nootropic beverage offers a balanced experience by incorporating soothing amino acids and stress-controlling adaptogens.
Inside each Testo Prime canister, you will find 30 individual packets, each designed for single servings, allowing for convenient storage.
Although the Testo Prime nootropic drink is nutritious, it tastes nothing like what you might expect. On the contrary, the orange mango flavor may very well become your new preferred choice.
Testo Prime Instant Energy is available for a one-time purchase at $44.99 from the official provider’s website.
3. Superhuman — best nootropic drink with probiotics
Designed to cater to those who regularly enjoy at least one daily caffeinated drink, Superhuman introduces a distinct nootropic drink blend that encompasses not just taurine, L-theanine, and alpha-GPC, but also includes probiotics. This intriguing combination aims to sharpen the mind and support gut health, adding an extra layer of appeal.
The flavor profile of Superhuman nootropic drink features hints of dark chocolate, molasses, and toasted malt, bringing about a harmoniously balanced nootropic beverage blend that carries a gentle undertone of chocolate.
With no additional sugars, flavorings, or creamers, Superhuman boasts an allergen-free profile, being free from nuts, soy, gluten, dairy, eggs, and shellfish. Each 5.5 g serving of this nootropic drink contains around 96 mg of caffeine.
You can purchase your bag of Superhuman's nootropic drink blend by visiting their official website. The standard option, containing 30 servings per bag, is priced at $39.00. For those who prefer a morning and afternoon indulgence, there's an alternative: a larger 60-serving option.
4. Magic Mind — best science-backed nootropic drink
Magic Mind is revered and taking the market by storm as a matcha-based nootropic drink enriched with nootropics and adaptogens. It is designed with the intention of helping with procrastination, reducing brain fog, and addressing fatigue. With its minimal caffeine content, Magic Mind could seamlessly complement your current routine and become your new morning ritual.
This Magic Mind nootropic beverage contains a scientifically designed combination of 13 active ingredients, aimed at improving energy, focus, and mood while reducing stress — all of which may contribute to enhancing your productivity.
What’s more, the brand notes that every batch of Magic Mind is inspected by hand and tested at a third-party lab. To add to the safety assurance of this nootropic energy drink, customers have reported experiencing no crashes or withdrawals.
Magic Mind offers a pack of 15 bottles, available for $89.25 for a one-time purchase. You can find it on the official Magic Mind website.
5. Bulletproof — best nootropic drink with vegetables
Bulletproof Greens is a nootropic beverage that blends brain-boosting ingredients with a full serving of vegetables, delivering your daily dose of well-being. It may offer a balance of nourishment and cognitive enhancement, helping you to start each day with enhanced clarity and extra energy.
Bulletproof Greens consists of an impressive ingredient blend containing a total of 35 ingredients, including:
- 12 vegetables and fruits
- 2 science-backed nootropics
- A blend of 11 digestive aids
- 3 vitamins and minerals
- 7 superfoods and mushrooms
The fruits present in the above-mentioned ingredient mix are, in fact, low-glycemic fruits, harnessing their nutrient-powered benefits to help avoid unnecessary sugar intake.
The provider mentions that their Greens nootropic drink is lightly sweetened with stevia and delicately flavored with a hint of pineapple, complementing the natural vegetable flavors.
A single jar of Bulletproof Greens contains 30 servings and is available for $49.95 as a one-time purchase on the brand's official website.
Comparison of the top 5 nootropic drink brands
|Brand||Price per package||Serving size||Servings per package||Price per serving||Flavor||Form|
|Testo Prime||$44.99||1 sachet||30||$1.49||Orange mango||Powdered|
|Superhuman||$39.00||5.5 g||30||$1.30||hints of dark chocolate, molasses, and toasted malt||Powdered|
|Magic Mind||$89.25||1 bottle||15||$5.95||Matcha-based||Ready-to-drink|
|Bulletproof||$49.95||1 scoop||30||$1.66||Vegetable with a hint of pineapple||Powdered|
How we compiled our list of the best nootropic drinks in 2023
We spared no effort in our quest to compile this list of the best nootropic drinks, considering several criteria. These criteria include brand reputation, ingredients, convenience, and value for money. Below, we present them in more detail:
- Brand reputation. In this list of the best nootropic drinks, you will find only the best options, selected from highly trusted brands that prioritize safety and adhere to industry regulations. These brands place a high emphasis on excluding questionable or harmful ingredients from their products.
- Ingredients. Considering the importance of natural, high-quality, and scientifically supported ingredients in nootropic drinks, we focused on well-researched nootropics and adaptogens, including lion’s mane, cordyceps, L-taurine, L-theanine, guarana, and additional vitamins.
- Convenience. Convenient solutions are essential in our fast-paced world, where leading a busy lifestyle and traveling are the norms. Hence, nootropic drinks, available in ready-to-drink options in this list, come to the rescue when needing a quick cognitive boost, while powdered versions offer a more practical and space-saving solution.
- Value for money. It's essential to strike a balance between quality and affordability. Oftentimes, higher-priced products may offer more premium ingredients or additional benefits. Hence, it's essential not to be swayed solely by low prices, as the cheapest option may not always deliver the benefits you want.
Are nootropic drinks good for you?
Whether a nootropic drink benefits you depends on your needs, goals, individual health profile, and the chosen product. Nevertheless, typically, the nootropics present in these beverages should indeed be good for you, as they may improve blood flow to the brain, enhance brain metabolism, promote nerve regeneration, and, therefore, contribute to brain health.
Additionally, they may serve as precursors to certain neurotransmitters, such as acetylcholine, which is a key messenger in the brain, playing a crucial role in learning and memory.
Nootropic beverages are typically pre-blended with carefully selected ingredients, offering a hassle-free and convenient option for on-the-go consumption compared to purchasing separate supplements. These drinks with adaptogens and nootropics are often enriched with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and herbal extracts. These components are believed to enhance cognitive function and promote overall brain health synergistically.
Nootropic drinks compared to other drinks
Many nootropic drinks are low in calories, making them a potentially healthier choice than sugary energy drinks, high-calorie beverages, or highly-caffeinated coffees. Nevertheless, considering the variety of beverage options available today that can impact cognitive function and alertness, they differ in their primary purposes and mechanisms of action, which calls for a comparison.
Below, we compare nootropic drinks to other beverages.
Nootropic drink vs. coffee
While nootropic drinks are designed to support brain health and optimize cognitive performance without the intense stimulation or side effects often associated with excessive coffee consumption, coffee, on the other hand, is known for its stimulating effects due to its caffeine content. Although it can improve cognitive function in the short term, its primary focus is on providing an energy boost rather than promoting long-term cognitive health.
In the end, the choice between a nootropic drink and coffee depends on individual preferences, health considerations, and desired effects. Some individuals may lean towards the cognitive-enhancing benefits of nootropic drinks, while others may prefer the immediate energy boost that coffee provides. However, should you desire to experience the benefits of both coffee and nootropics, there exists a perfect solution for you — the best nootropic coffees.
Nootropic drinks vs. energy drinks
Although they may sound alike, nootropic drinks and energy drinks serve distinct purposes and have differences in their formulations.
Nootropic drinks often contain a combination of natural compounds known for their potential cognitive benefits. Common ingredients include moderate amounts of caffeine and L-theanine, along with vitamins, minerals, and adaptogens to reduce stress and promote mental clarity.
On the other hand, energy drinks are loaded with stimulants, particularly caffeine and sugar. Some energy drinks may even contain high levels of caffeine, far beyond what is found in a typical cup of coffee or nootropic drink.
Once again, your choice depends solely on your personal preferences. However, it is essential to remember that moderation and awareness of individual sensitivities are crucial when consuming these drinks.
What is included in nootropic beverages?
Nootropic drinks typically consist of natural compounds, including L-theanine, lion’s mane, and guarana, as well as essential vitamins and minerals. In the following section, we will explore these key ingredients commonly found in nootropic drinks.
- L-theanine. L-Theanine, when consumed with caffeine, may lead to improved alertness and accuracy in attention-switching tasks. Furthermore, L-theanine is renowned for its anxiety and stress-reducing properties.
- Lion’s mane. Lion’s mane is associated with several therapeutic benefits related to nerve and brain health. More specifically, several compounds in lion’s mane have been shown in cell studies to support the synthesis of nerve growth factor, which is important for the survival and proliferation of neurons in the brain.
- Guarana. Guarana, a plant derivative, is renowned for its caffeine levels and various bioactive components, which are believed to potentially enhance cognitive abilities. Several studies have explored the impact of powdered guarana seed, revealing a wide range of effects, including stimulation, anti-inflammatory properties, and antioxidant benefits.
- Vitamins and minerals. Vitamins and minerals are crucial for humans as they play essential roles in various basic metabolic pathways, supporting fundamental cellular functions. Specifically, they are critical for brain and muscular function, which, in turn, affects cognitive and physiological processes, including mental and physical fatigue.
Are nootropic drinks better than capsules?
Both nootropic drinks and capsules can effectively deliver the desired cognitive benefits. The active ingredients present in nootropic drinks are also found in capsules, making it a matter of personal preference.
Nootropic drinks often come in ready-to-drink or powdered forms, providing a convenient and portable option. They usually have a pleasant taste, making them more enjoyable to consume than swallowing capsules.
As it pertains to capsules, they are generally compact and convenient for portability; however, some capsule-form supplements might possess an unpleasant taste or smell.
Either way, whether nootropic drinks are better than capsules comes down to individual preferences and desired effects. Some people might prefer the convenience and taste of nootropic drinks, while others may favor the flexibility and customization options that capsules offer.
How to keep energy levels high and stay motivated
Maintaining high energy levels and staying motivated hold significant importance, as they are essential for achieving productivity and leading a fulfilling life. To help you accomplish this objective, here are some general tips:
- Get enough sleep. Avoid sleepless nights and get adequate rest each night by aiming for 7-9 hours of sleep. Doing so directly impacts your energy levels and overall mood.
- Stay hydrated. Make sure you drink enough water throughout the day, as dehydration can lead to fatigue, decreased energy, and, oftentimes, headaches.
- Balance your diet. Adopt a nutritionally balanced diet abundant in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and wholesome fats. Additionally, to further enhance your diet, you may also consider incorporating the best nootropics for energy and motivation into your daily routine.
- Exercise regularly. Engaging in regular physical activities, such as cardio exercises, strength training, or even simple stretching, can boost physical energy levels, in turn making you feel more alert and awake throughout the day.
Learn more about cognitive health
The best nootropics are worth considering for optimizing brain health.
Should you desire to improve your focus and concentration, opt for these best brain supplements.
If managing ADHD without prescription medications is your goal, explore the best adderall alternatives.
For those seeking anxiety and stress relief, exploring the best nootropics for anxiety is recommended.
What is the best nootropic to start?
It depends. If you're considering trying a nootropic, keep in mind that individual responses to nootropics can vary, and their effectiveness and safety are still subjects of ongoing research. Therefore, it's essential to consult with a healthcare professional to discuss your specific needs and health status when starting a new supplementation regimen.
Are nootropics drinks safe?
They are considered safe. Even though the safety of nootropic drinks, like other supplements, remains a subject of debate and caution, drinks containing adaptogens and nootropics — enriched with natural compounds — are generally deemed safe for consumption.
What nootropic increases dopamine?
L-theanine. L-theanine, often found in green tea, has been shown to increase dopamine release, as well as other neurotransmitters. This effect potentially explains the positive impact it has on mood and cognitive functions.
- Nutrients. Nootropics as Cognitive Enhancers: Types, Dosage and Side Effects of Smart Drugs.
- Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. Plant-derived nootropics and human cognition: A systematic review.
- Nutrients. Effect of Guarana (Paullinia cupana) on Cognitive Performance: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. Effects of the consumption of guarana on human health: A narrative review.
- Nutrients. Vitamins and Minerals for Energy, Fatigue and Cognition: A Narrative Review of the Biochemical and Clinical Evidence.
Show all references
- Journal of Restorative Medicine. Neurological Activity of Lion’s Mane (Hericium erinaceus).
- Journal of medicinal food. Effects of l-Theanine on Cognitive Function in Middle-Aged and Older Subjects: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Study.
- Food Science and Human Wellness. How does the tea L-theanine buffer stress and anxiety.
- Nutrition reviews. Acute effects of tea constituents L-theanine, caffeine, and epigallocatechin gallate on cognitive function and mood: a systematic review and meta-analysis.