Probiotics are “good” bacteria that may play an important role in managing candida overgrowth — a common fungal infection. They have the potential ability to address candida proliferation in oral and vaginal areas and also maintain a balanced gut microbiome, which is crucial for suppressing the infection.
Probiotics can achieve this by restoring microbial balance, directly restricting candida growth, and enhancing the body's immune response. With this multifaceted approach, probiotics may potentially be used for addressing candidiasis.
In this article, we will present our pick of the best probiotics for candida and their unique benefits.
Best probiotics for candida: a shortlist
- Bonafide — best overall probiotic for vaginal health
- Ritual — best synbiotic blend for candidiasis
- Ora — best probiotics for vaginal candida
- SuperSmart — best probiotics for oral candida
- Culturelle — best probiotics for feminine health
Our criteria for ranking the best probiotics for candida
We reviewed key factors to conduct a thorough analysis of the best products for fungal infections. This included the quality of ingredients, provider reputation, CFUs (colony-forming units), and the particular strains of probiotics used.
|Natural sources, no additives
|GMP-certified, third-party tested
|In billions range
|Specific probiotic strains
|Targeted for candida overgrowth
- Ingredient quality. We selected products with safe, high-quality ingredients, preferably derived from natural sources. We stayed clear of products containing unnecessary fillers or artificial additives.
- Provider reputation. We opted for well-established brands recognized for their high-quality supplement production. Notably, those adhering to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and performing third-party testing to confirm the safety and quality of their products.
- CFU. The term CFU pertains to the quantity of live bacteria cells in each serving of probiotics. A higher CFU number suggests higher counts of the bacterial cells. We chose products with a sufficient amount of CFUs, generally in the billions.
- Specific probiotics strains. Our selection was based on probiotics containing bacterial strains that may reduce candida overgrowth, such as Lactobacillus paracasei and Lactobacillus rhamnosus.
Best probiotics for candida: overview
Our list of products contains probiotics that may be beneficial for managing candida overgrowth.
Choosing the best probiotics for candida overgrowth that align with personal needs can improve the likelihood of achieving positive health results. While numerous probiotic supplements offer similar benefits, their specific formulations may vary. Understanding these differences is important for addressing specific health objectives.
Each product is classified according to its unique benefits, ingredients, and other characteristics. Furthermore, the compilation highlights the pros and cons associated with each product.
1. Bonafide — best overall probiotic for vaginal health
Bonafide Clairvee® is a probiotic supplement that may support the vaginal microbiome balance and protect against the overgrowth of candida — a common concern among women.
The supplement is packed with 5 billion CFUs of probiotics, including bacterial strains like Lactobacillus acidophilus BLA-14 and Lactobacillus rhamnosus BHN00, tailored for vaginal flora.
Each bottle of Bonafide Clairvee® contains 15 capsules and a serving size of 1 capsule.
According to the brand, all the products are manufactured in an FDA-registered cGMP manufacturing facility and third-party tested for quality by independent laboratories.
Bonafide Clairvee® is available for $55.00, presenting itself as an affordable solution for sustaining balanced vaginal microflora and combating candida overgrowth.
2. Ritual — best synbiotic blend for candidiasis
Ritual Synbiotic+ is a comprehensive supplement designed as a 3-in-1 solution combining prebiotics, probiotics, and postbiotics.
The product features 11 billion CFUs of probiotics, including bacterial strains Lactobacillus rhamnosus and Bifidobacterium animalis, that may provide support in managing candidiasis by competing for adhesion sites and suppressing the growth of candida.
A bottle of the supplement contains 30 capsules and a serving size of 1 capsule.
The product is vegan, gluten and major allergen-free, non-GMO, and does not require refrigeration. It is third-party tested and uses the Made Traceable® feature, delivering high quality and transparency.
Ritual Synbiotic+ is priced at $54.00 and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, making it a conscious investment in gut health.
3. Ora — best probiotics for vaginal candida
Lady Bugs by Ora Organics is a specialized probiotic and prebiotic supplement designed to support vaginal health.
Each capsule contains 16 billion CFUs from research-backed probiotic strains, including Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and Lactobacillus fermentum, known for their potential benefits in maintaining normal vaginal pH levels and reducing inflammation.
A bottle of Ora Lady Bugs contains 60 capsules and a serving size of 2 capsules.
The product is third-party tested for quality and is dairy-free, gluten-free, non-GMO, soy-free, and vegan-friendly, making it an attractive choice for any user.
Ora Lady Bugs is available for $34.99.
4. SuperSmart — best probiotics for oral candida
SuperSmart Oral Health probiotics formula is a blend of advanced probiotics that may improve dental health and address oral conditions like dental caries, periodontitis, and bad breath.
It includes bacterial strains such as Lactobacillus reuteri and Lactobacillus rhamnosus, which may offer potential benefits for reducing pathogens and supporting oral cavity colonization.
SuperSmart ensures the product's quality through third-party testing, making it a reliable choice for those seeking to enhance their oral health through probiotics.
The product contains 30 sticks, and the recommended daily dose is 1 stick, offering a convenient and effective way to support oral health.
SuperSmart Oral Health is priced at $16.00.
5. Culturelle — best probiotics for feminine health
Culturelle® Women’s 4-in-1 Protection Capsules are designed to offer comprehensive feminine care and may promote a balanced vaginal microbiota and support pH balance, which is crucial for feminine health.
The supplement contains 15 billion CFUs of the probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, known for its potential benefits in managing vaginal candida through maintaining a balanced vaginal flora and guarding against overgrowth of candida.
A bottle of Culturelle® Women’s 4-in-1 Protection Capsules contains 30 servings and a serving size of 1 capsule.
Culturelle® ensures the quality of its product through third-party testing.
The capsules are available for $27.49.
Comparison of best probiotics for candida
|L. acidophilus, L. rhamnosus
|L. rhamnosus, B. animalis
|Ritual Synbiotic+ Probiotics Review
|L. plantarum, L. acidophilus, L. rhamnosus, L. crispatus, L. reuteri, L. fermentum
|Ora Probiotics Review
|L. rhamnosus, B. longum, L. salivarius, L. reuteri
|L. crispatus, L. rhamnosus, L. gasseri, L. jensenii
|Culturelle Probiotics Review
How to choose the right probiotic for candida?
There are several factors to consider when choosing the right probiotic for candida. The most essential one is strain specificity. Each strain comes with its own unique benefits, so it's crucial to select a probiotic containing strains known to combat candida overgrowth, such as Lactobacillus paracasei or Lactobacillus rhamnosus, among a few others. Scientific research backing their effectiveness against candida is also an important factor.
Additionally, considering customer reviews can give you real user insights into the product's performance. It's also essential to look for products with an adequate number of CFUs for candida, usually in the billions. Lastly, ensure the probiotic is tailored to the issue you’re trying to address and consider the type of formulation for ease of use and absorption.
Are probiotics effective for candida?
Probiotics have shown effectiveness in managing candida overgrowth — a common fungal infection. These beneficial bacteria may help restore the microbiome's natural balance, which candida overgrowth can disrupt. Probiotics work by directly inhibiting yeast and competing for areas to attach to.
Studies have demonstrated that certain probiotic strains, particularly those in the Lactobacillus family, are effective against candida infections, offering an option to address this issue.
Additionally, probiotics can enhance the immune system, further aiding in the control of candida overgrowth.
Factors affecting probiotic effectiveness
The effectiveness of probiotics in managing candida is influenced by several factors:
- Diet. A balanced diet rich in fiber and low in sugar can enhance probiotic effectiveness and contribute to reducing candida growth. On the contrary, high sugar intake may fuel this infection.
- Lifestyle. Factors, including stress levels and sleep patterns, also may impact the balance of gut microbiota, thereby affecting probiotic performance.
- Medications. Concurrent medications, especially antibiotics, can disrupt the gut flora balance, reducing probiotic effectiveness.
- Storage conditions. Keeping probiotics in high temperatures and moist environments, while not packaged, can reduce their effectiveness.
- Formulation. Some probiotics may not reach the targeted areas if they are not designed for oral health or vaginal microflora.
Addressing common misconceptions about probiotics and candida
A false misconception is that all probiotics for addressing candida overgrowth are the same. However, different probiotic strains may offer different benefits, and some strains are more effective against candida overgrowth than others.
Another myth is that a higher number of bacterial strains in probiotics can guarantee a stronger effectiveness against candida. Yet, the strain's compatibility with the infection is more crucial than the number of strains.
Additionally, while probiotics are potentially beneficial, they are not a standalone option for this type of issue; they should be part of a broader approach, including diet and lifestyle changes.
Discover other probiotic supplements for specific concerns
Best probiotics for yeast infection can help you balance your microbiome against infections.
Best probiotics to take with antibiotics can support your gut with good bacteria.
Best probiotics for eczema may support the immune system and skin health.
Are probiotics safe for children suffering from candida overgrowth?
Yes. Probiotics are generally considered safe for children and may help manage candida overgrowth. However, it's essential to consult a pediatrician before giving probiotics to children, particularly for specific issues like candida, to ensure the safety and suitability of the supplement for the child's health needs.
How can I choose probiotics for candida if I'm lactose intolerant?
For those who are lactose intolerant and seeking probiotics for candida, it's recommended to select lactose-free or dairy-free probiotic options. Fortunately, many probiotics are specifically formulated to be lactose-free. Always make sure to carefully check the product label to confirm they meet your dietary requirements.
Should I take probiotics before, with, or after meals for candida treatment?
There's no strict rule for taking probiotics for candida, but it's generally suggested to take them with meals. This helps the probiotics survive the stomach acids more effectively. Also, probiotics should not be consumed together with hot beverages, such as tea and coffee, as they can affect the viability of the probiotics you are taking.
How soon can I expect to see improvement in candida symptoms with probiotic use?
Individual responses to probiotics for candida can vary, but some may notice improvement within a few weeks. Consistent use, coupled with lifestyle changes, is crucial for long-term benefits. It's important to maintain regular probiotic intake and a healthy lifestyle for optimal results.
- Clinical Infectious Diseases. Probiotics as Antifungals in Mucosal Candidiasis.
- Nutrients. Effect of Probiotics on Oral Candidiasis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- FEMS Immunology & Medical Microbiology. Oral probiotics can resolve urogenital infections.
- FEMS Immunology & Medical Microbiology. Oral use of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and L. fermentum RC-14 significantly alters vaginal flora: randomized, placebo-controlled trial in 64 healthy women.