The health and well-being of companion animals, much like their human counterparts, is intricately linked to their gut microbiome. Any disruptions in the gut microbiota may result in various symptoms, including diarrhea, obesity, stress, and allergies.
As gut health plays a role in the function of the immune system, introducing probiotics in the diet of dogs may help enhance resilience against allergies and their associated symptoms. With this in mind, we have compiled a selection of our top probiotics for dogs with allergies, so you can make an informed choice for your canine companion.
Best probiotics for dogs with allergies: a shortlist
- Gussy’s Gut — best formula for dogs with allergies
- Wild Earth — best dog probiotic to boost overall immunity
- Fera Pet Organics — best probiotic for dog skin allergies
- native pet — best flavor in a probiotic for dogs with allergies
- Four Leaf Rover — best probiotic to boost protection against environmental allergens
How did we choose the best probiotics for dogs with allergies?
Choosing the best dog probiotic for allergies can be a challenging task because several factors need to be carefully considered to ensure you select a high-quality and suitable product. To help simplify this decision-making process, we have gathered a set of essential criteria:
|Strain composition||Probiotic strains directed to aid dog’s health|
|Colony Forming Units (CFU)||Adequate CFU for dog's weight and size|
|Brand Transparency||Disclosure of manufacturing practices and additional certification|
|Science-backed ingredients||Ingredients studied to aid with gut health and boost immunity|
- Price. While quality is crucial for your furry companion, we also evaluated other aspects to include products that offer excellent value for the money.
- Strain composition. Certain probiotic strains have demonstrated promising potential in enhancing dogs' immune systems and overall well-being. Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium species are associated with immunomodulatory and anti-allergic effects.
- Colony Forming Units (CFU). CFU indicates the number of active bacteria in each product. The current recommended daily intake for dogs falls between 1–10 billion CFUs, with the choice depending on the dog's size and weight.
- Brand Transparency. The lack of strict regulation in the dog supplement industry highlights the importance of brands being transparent about their manufacturing practices and providing comprehensive information about their product's ingredients.
- Science-backed ingredients. Although research on dog probiotics is limited, there is some evidence suggesting that specific ingredients may help manage allergy symptoms. We selected supplements with high-quality ingredients that have shown potential to support pets' well-being.
Best probiotics for dogs with allergies: an overview
Navigating the complexities of dog probiotics for allergies can be a challenging task. The increasing interest in improving pets' well-being has led to a proliferation of products, but not all brands prioritize safety, quality, and transparency. Therefore, we have taken the time to review some of the top-rated probiotics for dogs allergies and have handpicked reputable and high-quality brands.
Our selection encompasses a diverse range of probiotics, each with different CFU counts, ingredients, and dosages. We hope you can find one that matches your pet’s needs.
1. Gussy's Gut — best probiotic for dogs with natural ingredients
Gussy's Gut introduces a supplement with a potent blend of 19 active ingredients that contain various vitamins and minerals. The fermentation of these ingredients supports the proliferation of probiotics, which may enhance dog's digestive health.
The brand states that what sets this formula apart is its exceptional bioavailability, achieved through a stringent freeze-drying technique, guaranteeing the preservation of highly concentrated nutrients. Additionally, their ingredients are sourced from organic farmers, ensuring they are free from pesticides and herbicides.
The recommended serving is one teaspoon per 10–20 pounds (4–9 kg) of the dog's weight, added to raw, kibble, or wet food. It's advisable to mix the freeze-dried ingredients with water before serving.
It is available for $37.00 and contains 50 servings per package. The brand estimates a shelf-life of 5 years for this product.
2. Wild Earth — best dog probiotic to boost immunity against allergies
Wild Earth’s Immunity & Digestion Dog Supplements are packed with a blend of 14 mushrooms and probiotics designed to boost dogs' immune systems and nurture their gut microbiome.
This supplement harnesses the powers of a probiotic blend with 3 billion CFUs of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus, renowned strains recognized for their ability to resist the colonization of gastrointestinal pathogens and fortify the natural immunity of organisms. In addition, it features Bacillus Coagulans strains, which possess the potential to contribute to the modulation of the immune system, stimulate microbiota recovery, and may combat viral activity.
Wild Earth stands out due to its commitment to high-quality and cruelty-free ingredients. Reishi and Chaga mushrooms, beta-glucan, and probiotics form a potent immune-supporting and anti-inflammatory formula.
The brand recommends starting with half the dose and gradually increasing it to the suggested daily amount. Dog owners can split their pet’s intake between mornings and evenings. The appropriate dosage depends on the pet’s weight:
|Up to 25 lbs (11 kg)||1 chew|
|26–75 lbs (12–34 kg)||2 chews|
|Over 75 lbs (34 kg)||3 chews|
It is available for $21.00 and contains 60 servings per package. Wild Earth also includes free shipping.
3. Fera Pet Organics — best probiotic for itchy dogs
Fera introduces their USDA Organic Probiotics with Prebiotics, with 12 living strains that work synergistically to target and enhance dog's digestive, immune, and skin health.
These supplements contain Bifidobacterium, Enterococcus, and Lactobacillus strains, alongside non-bacterial organisms like the probiotic yeast Saccharomyces boulardii. This powerful formula boosts gut health, fostering a healthy intestinal tract, and promoting healthy stool consistency. Additionally, it also aids skin health, soothing irritation and potentially mitigating seasonal allergies and itching.
Added ingredients like organic inulin and fructooligosaccharides contribute to the formula by enhancing gut microbial ecology and nurturing the growth of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract. Fera's supplement is particularly tailored to dogs with intestinal issues and those who experience skin sensitivities.
Manufactured in an FDA-registered facility, the product carries certifications from cGMP and the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC). The supplements also undergo rigorous third-party testing with batch results accessible online for customers.
The brand recommends adding 1 scoop per day to the regular food of dogs weighing between 15–60 lbs (7–27 kg).
It is available for $28.95 and includes 60 scoops per package.
4. Native pet — most palatable formula in a probiotic for dogs with allergies
Native pet Allergy introduces a formula designed to alleviate potential allergy symptoms and enhance the overall well-being of pets.
This supplement delivers 1 billion CFUs per chew, featuring the Bacillus Coagulans strain, celebrated for its immune-boosting properties and potential to alleviate digestive issues. Additionally, the inclusion of ingredients like spirulina and dried yeast further prepares dog’s bodies to combat pathogens and environmental allergies.
Native takes great pride in its manufacturing processes, prioritizing quality over quantity. A board-certified vet nutritionist oversees every step of the production process for these chews. Furthermore, the use of an air-drying process can result in a nutrient-rich product.
The brand recommends administering 2 chews daily for every 25 lbs (11 kg) of the dog’s weight during the first 14 days, subsequently reducing the dose to one chew for every 25 lbs. The chews can be mixed with food or served separately.
It is available for $11.99 and includes 60 chews per package and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
5. Four Leaf Rover — best probiotic to enhance protection against environmental allergies
Four Leaf Rover introduces Protect probiotic with added ingredients aimed at bolstering a healthy gut and immune system, ultimately enhancing a dog's defense against pathogens and environmental stressors.
This supplement features 2 billion CFUs of two Bacillus probiotic strains and 5 billion CFUs of Saccharomyces boulardii yeast probiotic. These strains actively contribute to maintaining a healthy gut and may alleviate gastric distress. Additionally, the inclusion of ingredients like wild blueberry and bentonite clay augments the formula with protective and antioxidant properties.
Four Lead utilizes natural and non-GMO and tests their product in third-party labs ensuring the alignment of the quantities with label claims. Moreover, their supplements are sourced sustainably and packaged in eco-friendly materials.
The brand recommends daily use of the product with the dosage tailored to the dog’s weight:
|Under 30 lbs (13 kg)||1/2 teaspoon daily|
|31–60 lbs (14–27 kg)||3/4 teaspoon daily|
|61–100 lbs (28–45 kg)||1 teaspoon daily|
|Over 101 lbs (46 kg)||1 1/2 teaspoons daily|
It is available for $29.99 and includes 30 large dog servings.
Comparing the best probiotics for dogs with allergies
|Product||Price||Active ingredients||CFU||Daily serving||Total amount|
|Gussy’s Gut||$37.00*||19 fermented superfoods||N/A||1 teaspoon||50 teaspoons|
|Wild Earth||$21.00||Fructooligosaccharide, digestive enzymes, beta-glucan, mushroom blend, Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus, and Bacillus Coagulans strains||3 billion (Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium) and 200 million (Bacillus coagulans)||2 chews||60 chews|
|Fera Pet Organics||$28.95||Fructooligosaccharides, inulin, acacia, Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, Enterococcus, Streptococcus, and Saccharomyces Boulardi strains||5 billion||1 scoop||60 scoops|
|native pet||$11.99*||Bacillus Coagulans||1 billion||1 chew||60 scoops|
|Four Leaf Rover||$29.99||Bacillus Coagulans and Saccharomyces boulardii||2 billion (Bacillus Coagulans) and 5 billion (Saccharomyces boulardii)||3/4 teaspoon||30 teaspoons|
* — prices vary depending on the units per package.
Understanding allergies in dogs
Pet allergies are an exaggerated response from the immune system to substances that are typically harmless. These substances, known as allergens, can trigger an allergic reaction when they come into contact with a dog.
The immune system, which normally is in charge of responding against infections and diseases, fights against these harmless substances causing different adverse reactions in dogs.
Different allergy types
Some of the most common allergies in dogs encompass skin, food, and environmental allergens. Certain natural probiotics for dogs with allergies may help the immune system to combat these allergens.
- Food allergies. This type of allergic reaction involves the response of the immune system to one or more ingredients in a dog’s diet. Typically, food allergens include beef, chicken, dairy, wheat, corn, or soy, and dog’s contact with these allergens may result in symptoms like skin itchiness or digestive issues.
- Environmental allergies. These allergies arise when dogs encounter substances in their surroundings, such as grass, trees, mites, or mold spores, among others. They often manifest with itchiness, skin irritation, or sniffles.
- Skin allergies. Skin allergies include various reactions that manifest on the skin. They may be triggered by factors like flea bites, insect stings, or reactions to products in contact with the skin.
In any case, if your dog experiences allergies, consulting a veterinarian is crucial to determine the best treatment for their specific needs.
The role of probiotics in allergy management
The intestinal microbiota is a crucial factor in the development of a strong immune response since gut bacterial antigens have the ability to cross the intestine and contribute to the support of dog's immune system. Any disturbances within the gut microbiota may play a role in various disorders and allergies.
Boosting the immune system with probiotics may enhance resilience against allergens. This is because dogs and their gut microbiota share a symbiotic relationship that is essential for maintaining the health and well-being of pets.
Choosing the right probiotic for your dog
Selecting the best dog probiotics for itching or any other allergy symptoms involves considering specific factors. The most important one is to prioritize suitable strains for pets like Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and Enterococcus with adequate CFU counts for your dog's needs.
Additionally, it is also key to choose transparent brands that undergo third-party testing and consult with your veterinarian on the best choice for your dog.
Other ways to ease your pet's allergies
Probiotics may be considered to enhance the immune system of pets but should never be implemented as a treatment for allergies. Managing this condition may involve a range of strategies:
- Avoiding allergens. Preventing contact with potential food, environmental, or other allergens.
- Antihistamines. This medicine is frequently prescribed for both animals and humans as it can reduce allergy symptoms like itching, runny nose, etc. There are several types of antihistamines and consulting with a vet is crucial to select the adequate one for your pet.
Best probiotics for dogs with allergies – conclusion
A healthy gut is essential for the well-being of any animal. The intestinal microbiota has a close relationship with the immune system, making probiotics for dogs' allergies an option for supporting immunity.
Probiotic strains like Lactobacillus or Bifidobacterium can aid the immune system and may address digestive issues linked to allergies, such as diarrhea or vomiting.
Regardless, dog owners should prioritize a balanced diet for their pets. Proper nutrition is a powerful tool to strengthen immunity and prepare dogs for challenging periods or potential allergens.
Explore other pet supplements and products
Learn how CBD oils may help to alleviate stress and promote relaxation in your dog.
Discover our picks for the best probiotic for dogs and enhance the well-being of your best friend.
Find out how our top 5 medicinal mushrooms may support the immune system of your pet.
Our compilation of the best probiotics for cats may help to promote the digestive health of your feline companion.
How common are allergies in dogs?
Allergies are common in dogs, affecting an estimated 10%–20% of them. These allergies can be triggered by various factors, including the environment, food, or medication. Consulting a veterinarian is crucial to determine the best treatment for your pet's allergies.
Can probiotics help dogs with allergies?
No. Some probiotics may be used as a supportive measure to potentially alleviate allergic symptoms. For instance, dog probiotics for itching may help support pets experiencing discomfort in their skin or coat, but they should not be considered a treatment.
How long does it take for probiotics to work for allergies?
It can vary depending on factors such as the dog's overall health, the specific allergy symptoms, and the probiotic strain used. However, their effectiveness in directly reducing allergies is not well-established.
- Anaerobe. Microbiota and probiotics in canine and feline welfare.
- Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology. Early exposure to probiotics in a canine model of atopic dermatitis has long-term clinical and immunological effects.
- Foods. Probiotics as a Possible Strategy for the Prevention and Treatment of Allergies. A Narrative Review.
- Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. Food Allergy and the Microbiome: Current Understandings and Future Directions.
- Journal of Animal Science. COMPANION ANIMALS SYMPOSIUM: Microbes and gastrointestinal health of dogs and cats.