Probiotics are beneficial microorganisms associated with health benefits. Current studies suggest they may have the potential to manage gastric ulcers by combating harmful pathogens like Helicobacter pylori.
Specific strains, like Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium longum, have demonstrated the ability to adhere to the gastric mucosa, suggesting a role in managing stomach ulcers. This makes probiotics a potential option for supporting gastrointestinal health and addressing stomach-related issues.
In this article, we will review the 5 best probiotic products for supporting individuals with stomach ulcers.
Best probiotics for ulcers: shortlist
- Ora — best probiotic for ulcers and acidic stomach environment
- Athletic Greens — best probiotic for reducing stomach oxidative stress
- Aura Essentials — best probiotic for restoring gut balance after medication
- future kind+ — best probiotic for gastric inflammation
- Garden of Life — best probiotic for vitamin D deficiency
How have we compiled best probiotics for ulcers?
When creating this list, we looked at products offering the best probiotics for stomach ulcers.
We ensured that our provided probiotic products adhere to specific criteria such as clean and safe ingredients, the right formulation and probiotic strains, and sufficient CFU amounts. We also considered brand reputation to make sure the products are reliable.
|CFU count||In billions|
|Formulation||Probiotics that reach the stomach|
|Safety||Third-party tested, GMP-certified|
|Strain selection||Suitable for stomach ulcers|
|Provider reputation||Customer reviews and ratings|
- CFU count. CFU stands for colony-forming units, denoting the number of viable, active bacteria present in a dose of probiotics. We selected those with an appropriate CFU count, typically in billions.
- Formulation. We picked products that are not protected with any protective coating (such as enteric coating or cellulose capsules). Probiotics for stomach ulcers should be able to work in the stomach instead of reaching the intestines.
- Safety. We chose products that have been evaluated by third-party laboratories, are open about their supply chain, or are manufactured in GMP-certified facilities
- Strain selection. We searched for probiotic strains with documented benefits in addressing stomach ulcers, such as Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus gasseri, Lactobacillus acidophilus, and Bifidobacterium.
- Provider reputation. We pinpointed reputable brands known for consistently delivering top-tier products. We also acknowledged the importance of consumer feedback and ratings in understanding the experiences and satisfaction levels of past users.
5 best probiotics for ulcers in 2023: overview
While creating this list, we assessed various brands and probiotics, focusing on probiotics for stomach ulcers.
It's essential to pinpoint a premium product designed for specific requirements. While many probiotic products have overlapping ingredients, their unique compositions can offer different benefits. Considering this is crucial when aiming for specific health goals.
Product placements on this list have been organized according to a distinct classification highlighting its particular benefits, ingredients, and other features. Additionally, the list elaborates on the strengths and weaknesses of every product.
1. Ora — top-rated probiotic designed to withstand stomach acidity
Trust Your Gut by Ora is an organic probiotic powder combined with prebiotics providing strains that may survive an acidic stomach environment. This product contains bacterial strains that have been reported to have anti-inflammatory effects in the stomach.
It boasts a potent formula with 20 billion CFUs of dairy-free probiotics and organic prebiotics and is also vegan, non-GMO, and gluten-free.
The product comes in an Apple Raspberry flavor and is available in a 30-serving size. The recommended dosage by the manufacturer is to mix 1 scoop of the powder into water, smoothies, or oatmeal.
The primary ingredients include Apple Raspberry Organic Jerusalem Artichoke Inulin, Organic Tapioca Oligosaccharide, and various strains of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium.
Ora Organic emphasizes transparency and quality, ensuring that each batch of their products undergoes third-party testing.
The product is priced at $40.99 for a one-time purchase, but there's an option to subscribe and save 20%.
2. Athletic Greens — best probiotic for combating stomach oxidative damage
AG1 by Athletic Greens is a comprehensive nutritional supplement that may support gastrointestinal health by replenishing the stomach with oxidative stress-reducing antioxidants. The product is formulated with 75 high-quality vitamins, minerals, digestive enzymes, and whole-food sourced nutrients.
A single container includes 30 servings. The recommended intake by the manufacturer is 1 scoop of AG1 with 8 ounces of cold water.
AG1 is backed by rigorous quality standards, being one of the few products both NSF-certified and made in a TGA-registered facility. Every ingredient and batch undergoes thorough testing to ensure top-notch quality.
The product is organic, non-GMO, vegan, and gluten-free.
As for the pricing model, the product is available with a 10% discount at $79.00 for a subscription and $99.00 for a one-time purchase.
3. Aura Essentials — leading probiotic for restoring gut post-medication
Daily Probiotic Gummy by Aura Essentials is designed for individuals seeking digestive health support. These gummies may assist with restoring gut balance after using antibiotics for stomach ulcers. The probiotic strain in this product — B. coagulans, has been demonstrated to help with antibiotic-associated diarrhea.
Each bottle contains 60 gummies, with a recommended dosage by the manufacturer of 2 gummies daily.
The product is non-GMO, gluten-free, vegan, and cruelty-free. Moreover, the ingredients are sourced from the USA, ensuring quality and reliability.
The brand emphasizes its commitment to quality by ensuring its products undergo rigorous testing and adhere to high standards, making it a trusted choice for many.
Aura Essentials offers a flexible pricing model, with a single bottle priced at $29.99. Customers can also opt for a subscription model, offering a 20% discount.
4. future kind+ — top probiotic with strains for gastric inflammation
Vegan Probiotics Digestion Supplement by future kind+ is crafted to support digestion and gastrointestinal wellness. Aside from 30 billion CFUs, a notable aspect of this product is its diverse range of probiotic strains. Some of the strains, such as Lactobacillus acidophilus, have been reported to support ulcer healing and reduce stomach inflammation in laboratory animals.
Each bottle of the Vegan Probiotics Digestion Supplement provides 30 servings. The brand advises consuming 1 capsule daily for maximum benefits.
future kind+ prioritizes product excellence by producing its products in an FDA-regulated and GMP-certified facility. The product undergoes independent third-party testing to ensure product quality and safety.
Vegan Probiotics Digestion Supplement is available for $29.99 as a standalone purchase and for a subscription that grants a 20% savings.
5. Garden of Life — best probiotic targeting vitamin D insufficiency
Dr. Formulated Probiotics 10 Billion Gummies by Garden of Life is a product tailored to support digestive and immune health. These orange-flavored gummies stand out not only for their taste but also for their potent formulation. Each serving delivers 10 billion CFUs and is enhanced with prebiotics to foster the growth of beneficial bacteria.
Additionally, the product contains vitamin D, which may play a crucial role in preventing stomach ulcers. Individuals with a vitamin D deficiency have been previously associated with a higher risk of H.pylori infection, potentially leading to stomach issues.
Garden of Life products are non-GMO, NSF-certified, quality-tested, and GMP-certified. However, the website does not provide additional information on the testing methods.
The recommended serving size by the manufacturer is 2 gummies daily, while a single bottle contains 60 gummies.
The product is priced at $20.79, down from its original price of $25.99.
Comparison of best probiotics for ulcers
|Brand||Price||Price per serving||Serving size||Serving per container||Review|
|Ora||$40.99||$1.37||1 scoop||30||Ora Probiotics Review|
|Athletic Greens||$99.00||$2.63||1 scoop||30||N/A|
|Aura Essentials||$29.99||$1.00||2 gummies||30||N/A|
|future kind+||$29.99||$1.00||2 gummies||30||N/A|
|Garden of Life||$20.79||$0.69||2 gummies||30||N/A|
Which probiotics are good for stomach ulcers?
Probiotics, especially strains like Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium longum, may be beneficial for stomach ulcers. They are able to adhere to the gastric mucosa and may promote gastrointestinal health and aid digestion. Consuming these probiotics may support recovery from H. pylori-induced ulcers. It's essential to choose the right strain for optimal benefits.
The best probiotic strains for addressing stomach ulcers include:
- L. rhamnosus
- L. gasseri
- L. acidophilus
- L. johnsonii
- B. longum
- S. boulardii
- L. acidophilus CL1285
- L. casei LBC80R
The dosage and use of probiotics for ulcers
There is evidence, that probiotic strains like Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium may be beneficial when addressing stomach ulcers. In research studies, adults were administered up to 60 billion CFUs of Lactobacillus acidophilus daily. However, the optimal dose and duration depend on each individual case. Therefore, consulting a healthcare professional for a personalized regimen is highly advised.
Can probiotics for stomach ulcers have side effects?
Yes, probiotics can have side effects, although they are generally considered safe. Some individuals may experience mild stomach upset, diarrhea, gas, and bloating during the initial days of consumption. However, research studies thus far have not reported any negative effects on ulcer development or stomach inflammation.
It's also worth noting that probiotics can help reduce the side effects of certain medications, such as antibiotics. For the right approach, it's essential to consult a healthcare professional before starting probiotics, especially for individuals with underlying health conditions.
What else can help treat stomach ulcers?
Stomach ulcers can be treated with various medications that aim to reduce acid, promote healing, and address the underlying cause. Some commonly prescribed medications include:
- Antibiotics. Different antibiotic types like amoxicillin, clarithromycin, and metronidazole can treat H. pylori infections.
- Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs). These drugs reduce stomach acid and include omeprazole, lansoprazole, and rabeprazole.
- Diet. One of the fundamental methods of ulcer management is a healthy diet. Ulcer diet should not contain coffee, chocolate, alcohol, spicy, acidic, or fried food.
When it comes to any of these prescribed or over-the-counter drugs, it’s essential to consult a healthcare professional for the appropriate medication and dosage.
Explore other health benefits of probiotics
Best probiotics for constipation may increase bowel movements.
Best probiotics for IBS can help restore the balance of bacteria in the gut.
Best probiotics for women may support digestive and vaginal health.
Best probiotics for weight loss can help support weight management.
Best probiotics for kids may reduce the symptoms of eczema in children.
Best probiotics for oral health may also protect your gums and teeth.
Can probiotics prevent ulcer development?
Potentially. Numerous studies suggest that probiotics may play a role in managing gastric ulcers and supporting gastric health. However, it is important to note that their exact effectiveness in ulcer prevention requires further research.
Can probiotics interact with ulcer medications?
Yes. Probiotics may interact with certain medications, including antibiotics commonly used to treat ulcers. It's essential to consult a healthcare professional before combining probiotics with ulcer medications.
Are probiotics recommended during ulcer flare-ups?
Yes. Probiotics may provide potential benefits for managing gastric ulcers, especially during flare-ups. However, it is important to note that probiotics may interact with other medications. It is best to consult with a healthcare specialist for a personalized approach.
How long does it take to see results from probiotics for ulcers?
Based on research, the time it takes to see results from probiotics for ulcers can vary, but improvements may be observed from a few days to a few months, depending on the individual and the severity of the ulcer.
- Heliyon. Probiotics, their prophylactic and therapeutic applications in human health development: A review of the literature.
- International Journal of Molecular Sciences. Using Probiotics as Supplementation for Helicobacter pylori Antibiotic Therapy.
- Nutrients. Effects of Probiotics, Prebiotics, and Synbiotics on Human Health.
- Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine. Potential role of probiotics in the management of gastric ulcer.
- Food & Function. Entrapment of Lactobacillus acidophilus into alginate beads for the effective treatment of cold restraint stress-induced gastric ulcer.