Aging introduces new challenges and obstacles in the life of every man. As time passes, the body heightens its demands for attention, necessitating more nurture and delicacy to keep its vitality.
These emerging challenges become particularly prominent when it comes to disturbances of prostate health, manifesting as symptoms like difficulty urinating, frequent bathroom visits, or pressure on the bladder.
For this reason, some of the best prostate supplements are specially designed to combat these daunting challenges, potentially providing some relief and enhancing the quality of life of those facing prostate distress.
Best prostate supplement: shortlist
- Prostan Plus — best supplement for prostate and vitality
- VitaPost — best prostate supplement for urinary concerns
- A Quality Life — best prostate health supplement with beta sitosterol
- Nature's Craft — best budget-friendly prostate supplement
- Pure Essence — best prostate supplement without gluten
How we compiled our list of the best prostate supplements
We delved into meticulous research to determine, in our opinion, the best prostate health supplement. For this reason, we explored ingredients, certifications, dosage, and other key criteria to deliver top-notch brands that unite scientific and high-quality formulas to potentially enhance prostate wellness.
|Optimal dosage for prostate health
|Science-backed and high-quality ingredients
|Manufacturing and sourcing information
- Price. Our selection encompassed brands that strive for affordable products without sacrificing quality.
- Dosage. Choosing an optimal dosage is fundamental to enjoying the potential benefits of prostate supplements without experiencing adverse reactions in the body. We thoroughly reviewed formulas and chose those brands that deliver appropriate dosages that may support prostate concerns.
- Ingredients. Our selection considered products that feature ingredients with potential effectiveness in prostate health. Moreover, we also evaluated the quality and testing of ingredients.
- Brand reputation. The FDA does not screen supplements, making it challenging to verify the quality and integrity of certain brands. Therefore, we have selected providers that disclose their sourcing and manufacturing practices.
Best supplement for prostate in 2024: reviews of top products
Finding the right supplement to support prostate health is a challenge. With so many brands and products online, many wonder, “What is the best prostate supplement on the market?”. To find answers to this dilemma, we have thoroughly delved into the prostate supplement universe, selecting the products that truly stand out among the rest.
1. Prostan Plus — best supplement for prostate and enhanced energy
Prostan Plus may be a great choice for those looking for a multipurpose supplement to aid with prostate and urinary concerns. With a blend of 11 ingredients, Prostan is engineered to support sexual performance, energy levels, and overall prostate well-being.
Among the ingredients in the supplement, pumpkin seed and tomato powder stand out to potentially support prostate performance. While some limited research suggests pumpkin seed intake may play a role in the reduction of prostate symptom severity, lycopene from tomatoes has been hypothesized to reduce the risk of prostate cancer. However, the efficacy of these compounds has yet to be proven.
Moreover, those taking medication or combining the product with other zinc supplements should consult with a doctor before taking Prostan to prevent adverse reactions.
Prostan is priced at $49.99 per bottle with the possibility to get a 3-month supply or a 6-month supply.
2. VitaPost — best prostate supplement to support urinary problems
Urinary problems may become more prominent as individuals age, causing unpleasant symptoms such as difficulty starting or stopping urinating or straining while peeing. Prostate Plus may become a powerful ally to alleviate these concerns, featuring a blend of botanical ingredients suggested to foster and nurture the prostate.
In the formula, three ingredients distinguish themselves for their potential to aid with prostate problems — pygeum africanum, plant sterol complex, and reishi extract.
Based on a meta-analysis, pygeum africanum is reported to have some potential to support the symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Additionally, plant beta-sitosterols have also demonstrated some promise in improving certain urinary symptoms and flow measures.
VitaPost also excels in brand transparency, delivering supplements made in the US and produced in an FDA-registered facility.
The supplement is priced at $28.95, with the option to purchase a 2-bottle or 3-bottle bundle.
3. A Quality Life — best prostate health supplement with beta sitosterol
A Quality Life Prostate Supplement combines botanicals, vitamins, and nutrients to support those facing prostate problems. Boasting selenium, pygeum africanum, and plant sterol complex, the supplement is designed to enhance male reproductive and urinary health.
Selenium has been researched for its properties to support prostate health, with a 2018 meta-analysis suggesting it might help play a protective role against the development of prostate cancer. Moreover, plant sterol, featuring a compound known as beta-sitosterol, is suggested to improve urinary symptoms and flow measures.
A Quality Life not only offers high-quality products but also conducts extensive testing of its supplements. Customers can easily check their supplement certificates online.
The brand recommends taking two capsules 20-30 minutes before a meal or as directed by a healthcare professional. Those under 18 or with a known medical condition are discouraged from using this product.
It is available for $38.45 and includes free shipping.
4. Nature's Craft — best affordable prostate supplement
Nature’s Craft Prostate Supplement is designed to foster male vitality and support prostate health. Packed with plant sterol extract comprising 40% beta-sitosterol, pumpkin seed, the supplement aims to promote bladder control and urinary tract health.
The supplement packs a series of botanical ingredients with various health properties to promote the well-being of men, such as beta-sitosterol, which may help decrease pressure on the prostate and increase urine flow and emptying.
Following strict manufacturing guidelines, the brand is set to deliver the best experience for its customers. Moreover, the product undergoes third-party testing, ensuring the quantities of ingredients on the label align with the ones included in the product.
The brand recommends taking 3 capsules per day, preferably with a meal, for the most optimal results.
The supplement is available for $17.76 and includes free shipping. Individuals can enjoy 15% off the price with a subscription option.
5. Pure Essence Labs — best gluten-free prostate supplement
Pure Essence is targeted to provide holistic support to those facing prostate problems, delivering a supplement that may support smooth, easy, and painless urination.
The highlight of this supplement is beta-sitosterol, which may benefit the prostate by inhibiting the production of an enzyme called 5-alpha-reductase, which is hypothesized to be linked to prostate enlargement. Moreover, this compound may also help reduce swelling and inflammation, potentially alleviating discomfort in the prostate.
The formula also features other standout ingredients such as zinc, Poria cocos, selenium, and red peony. Zinc is a key mineral that has been reported to support prostate health and prevent prostate disease from developing or further progressing, while Poria Cocos is suggested to alleviate prostatitis by regulating the gut microbiota.
Priced at $43.86, the brand recommends taking 2 capsules daily with food and water to achieve the best results.
Comparison of the best prostate supplements
|Servings per bottle
|Pumpkin seed and lycopene
|Urinary problems and vitality
|Pygeum africanum, plant sterol complex, and reishi extract
|A Quality Life
|Selenium and plant sterol
|Urinary problems and overall prostate health
|Urinary problems and vitality
|Pure Essence Labs
|Plant sterol, zinc, and poria cocos
What to look for when choosing the best prostate supplement
Choosing a prostate supplement involves conducting thorough research on the market and evaluating each product formulation. Some enjoy this process, but others can find it overwhelming and tedious, merely typing “best prostate supplement reviews” to find the right fit. While reviews are certainly important, there are other key criteria to consider before choosing the right supplement for you:
- Medication. Supplements for the prostate usually include a blend of botanical ingredients to promote urinary and prostate health. However, some compounds such as saw palmetto, pumpkin seed extract, pomegranate seed extract, nettle leaf extract, tomato fruit extract, or Bioperine are known to interact with multiple drug classes.
- Dosage. Before consuming prostate supplements, it is essential to consider recommended dosages. Some products may contain high levels of certain compounds, such as zinc or copper, which may lead to negative outcomes on the body.
- Testing. Individuals should always look for Certificates of Analysis (COA) or other testing details to ensure the product’s ingredient quantities match those on the label.
Why prostate health matters
The prostate is a gland of both the male reproductive and urinary systems, playing a crucial role in urination and ejaculation.
As men get older, the prostate tends to enlarge, often leading to uncomfortable symptoms such as difficulty starting or stopping urinating, a weak flow of urine, straining when peeing, prolonged dribbling after peeing, peeing more frequently, or waking up during the night to pee. Additionally, with aging, the likelihood of developing various prostate conditions also increases.
The three most common prostate problems include inflammation (prostatitis), enlarged prostate (BPH, or benign prostatic hyperplasia), and prostate cancer. These conditions can create issues with sexual function, increasing the risk of urinary tract infections, bladder stones, and even kidney failure, significantly affecting quality of life.
For this reason, it is fundamental to nurture and support the prostate with a healthy lifestyle coupled with a nutritious diet and regular exercise, potentially preventing the onset of urinary symptoms. Furthermore, frequent visits to the urologist after 50 are also fundamental to sustaining prostate health.
Research on ingredients in prostate supplements
When it comes to prostate, many supplements claim to hold formulas to regain sexual performance and completely eradicate urinary problems. Therefore, it is natural to wonder, “What is the best prostate supplement?”. Regrettably, the effectiveness and long-term advantages of these supplements remain undetermined. However, some ingredients may be beneficial to manage unpleasant prostate symptoms:
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is one of the most common prostate problems, encompassing a variety of symptoms, including frequency and urge of urination or problems emptying the bladder. While there is limited evidence on the effectiveness of beta-sitosterol in improving BPH discomfort, a small meta-analysis conducted in 1999 reported the improvement of urinary symptoms and flow measures.
However, its long-term effectiveness, safety, and ability to prevent benign prostatic hyperplasia complications are unknown. Additionally, further up-to-date studies are needed to assess its potential thoroughly.
Pygeum africanum extract is a botanical extract commonly used in the treatment of mild to moderate BPH. However, evidence of its effects is still very limited, with few research studies demonstrating its potential to alleviate the condition. A study from 1998 reported that Pygeum africanum improved several parameters related to urinary discomfort, introducing it as a promising candidate to support BPH.
Moreover, another small study published in Current Medical Research and Opinion also observed an improvement in urinary flow, average urinary flow, and urine volume in those facing BPH. Nevertheless, further research is needed to understand the promising benefits of this compound.
Inflammation can contribute to exacerbating prostate discomfort, with anti-inflammatory ingredients such as pumpkin seed suggested as a potential ally to improve prostate health. A study conducted over 12 months with 1,431 randomized patients reported a clinically relevant improvement of symptoms in those with BPH. Moreover, the study also pointed out an excellent safety profile of the compound.
Is it safe to take a supplement for prostate?
While prostate supplements are generally well tolerated, it is essential to consider several factors before taking them.
Firstly, individuals should review the supplement label to guarantee the formulation is free from any potential allergens. Additionally, adhering to the recommended dosage is essential to ensure the best experience consuming the product.
Moreover, it is important to note that individuals under 18 years old or those taking medication are advised against using supplements for prostate.
Lastly, we remind you that supplements cannot cure any prostate condition, and it is fundamental to visit your doctor to determine the most appropriate course of action for your specific needs.
Best diet (and supplements) for prostate health
To support prostate health, individuals should engage in a wholesome diet rich in essential nutrients. With aging, it is paramount to follow a balanced diet and maintain an active lifestyle, with special attention to the following ingredients:
- Pumpkin seeds. Some limited evidence suggests that pumpkin seeds may play a role in aiding with urinary discomfort associated with BPH. However, further research is needed to confirm its effectiveness. In any case, complementing the diet with this compound may have positive outcomes in overall prostate health.
- Citrus fruit. Plants from the citrus genus have been introduced as promising candidates to potentially prevent prostate cancer via the pharmacological activity of certain flavonoids. Adding fruits to the diet may enhance prostate well-being, even though the efficacy of citrus against prostate cancer needs further research.
- Tomato. Lycopene is a type of antioxidant organic compound present in high concentrations in tomatoes. It has been suggested that this compound may play a role in reducing the risk of prostate cancer by preventing oxidative DNA damage. Additionally, other foods rich in lycopene include pink guavas, apricots, watermelons, and pink grapefruits.
Other ways to improve prostate health
Adhering to a nutritious diet is essential to maintaining and nurturing prostate health. Nevertheless, there are some additional guidelines to sustain male well-being:
- Physical activity. With advancing age, men often abandon exercise, exacerbating their overall health condition, including prostate health. Therefore, it is crucial to engage in moderate physical activity during the week.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Obesity has been linked to an increased risk of developing prostate cancer. Therefore, maintaining a healthy weight is fundamental to promoting well-being.
- Restrict alcohol and coffee intake. Avoiding the use of diuretic liquids such as coffee or alcohol may help prevent the urge to urinate. This urge can be exacerbated with the enlargement of the prostate, which in return, can cause discomfort in the bladder.
- Health check-ups. After 50 years old, it is recommended to get periodical prostate exams to prevent prostate conditions.
Best prostate supplement — conclusion
With aging, our bodies change and require increased attention to sustain well-being. In men, the aging process may impact the prostate, leading to its enlargement and potentially causing urinary and sexual discomfort.
Supplements for the prostate may be a holistic way to foster health, improving the quality of life of those facing urinary discomfort. However, the realm of prostate supplements remains undiscovered, with further research needed to confirm their potential benefits.
Nonetheless, certain ingredients found in these supplements, such as pumpkin seeds or beta-sitosterol, have already shown promising potential to aid male wellness.
Dive into the realm of male health and wellness
Enrich your sexual function and performance with our picks for male enhancement pills.
Target low testosterone and cardiovascular concerns with supplements for men.
Optimize gut function, immunity, and mental well-being with probiotics for men’s gut health.
Rekindle sexual pleasure with CBD gummies for men’s erectile dysfunction (ED).
Do prostate supplements really work?
They might. Even though there is very limited research on prostate supplements, some ingredients present in these products have demonstrated some potential to benefit conditions such as BPH and other urinary concerns.
What is the best prostate supplement?
Depends. There is no one-size-fits-all supplement for the prostate. Choosing an optimal product for your needs requires considering certain criteria including ingredients, dosage, brand transparency, and dietary preferences.
Are there any dangers of taking saw palmetto?
As with any supplement, there is a risk of potential side effects and interactions with medication. Therefore, individuals should thoroughly examine supplements and consult with a doctor on their usage and dosage.
What shrinks the prostate naturally?
Supplements or natural herbal ingredients cannot shrink the prostate. However, they may help to support discomfort associated with its enlargement. There are certain drugs especially formulated to treat BPH such as finasteride or dutasteride.
Can supplements help shrink an enlarged prostate?
No. It is imperative to underscore that supplements can’t cure or shrink an enlarged prostate. Individuals should only take them as a support to help manage certain unpleasant urinary symptoms. It is fundamental to visit your doctor if you are experiencing issues with your prostate.
- Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. The association between Selenium and Prostate Cancer: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- Urologia Internationalis. Effects of Pumpkin Seed in Men with Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms due to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia in the One-Year, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled GRANU Study.
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. Pygeum africanum for benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. Beta‐sitosterols for benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- The Journal of Nutrition. Lycopene Inhibits Disease Progression in Patients with Benign Prostate Hyperplasia.
- Current Medical Research and Opinion. Efficacy and Acceptability of Tadenan®(Pygeum africanum Extract) in the Treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH): A Multicentre Trial in Central Europe.