Stress can be beneficial in certain situations to keep the mind and body alert. However, chronic stress can ravage the body, leading to mental fatigue, anxiety, and depression. Additionally, stress has been linked to the development of medical conditions such as high blood pressure, increasing your risk of heart attacks and stroke.
Dealing appropriately with stress is important to your overall well-being and mental health.
We have evaluated some of the best supplements for stress reduction available and compiled a list of recommended products.
Best supplements for stress: a shortlist
- Batch — overall best supplements for stress relief
- A Quality Life — best supplements for chronic stress
- Future Kind — best supplements for stress and fatigue
- Natural Stacks — best supplements for stress management
- Bulletproof — best supplements for relaxation
How we chose the best supplements for stress?
|Use of a third-party laboratory to confirm label claims
|Ingredients backed by scientific evidence
|Price and value
|$17.46 to $129.99 for a 30-day supply
|Real customer reviews of their experience using the product
- Third-party testing. Manufacturers utilize a third-party laboratory to independently evaluate the contents of their product to ensure the dosage of ingredients and lack of contaminants.
- Scientific evidence. Products containing ingredients backed by research to help with stress reduction. Knowing which ingredients are synthetic or natural could help make a decision.
- Price and value. The price of supplements can vary due to various aspects of manufacturing. Choosing supplements based on the number of servings ensures you get the most for your money.
- User reviews. Reviews by actual users provide insight into the tolerability and benefits of the product before purchasing. Feedback helps to avoid wasting money on products that may not meet your expectations.
Top supplements for stress: overview
Chronic stress has been linked to various health problems, including cardiovascular disease and mental disorders such as depression and anxiety. Managing the stress in your life can involve many different modalities and lifestyle changes, including therapy, exercise, prescription medications, and natural supplements.
Therefore, we have developed our own list to identify the best natural supplements for stress on the market. However, it is essential to consult your doctor before starting any supplement to ensure its safe use.
1. Batch — overall best supplements for stress relief
Batch uses 100% organic hemp grown in Wisconsin to produce this full-spectrum CBD oil. Their extraction process uses ultra-cold, food-grade ethanol to obtain a blend of pure cannabinoids and terpenes from the flowers of the hemp plant. These compounds work together to enhance the effects of CBD, known as the "entourage effect."
Batch Calm Oil contains less than 0.3% of THC, which reduces the risk of psychotropic effects that produce a high. This THC content, as well as its other ingredients, are confirmed by third-party testing.
This product is available in two strengths, 1000 mg or 3000 mg of CBD per bottle, which differ in the amount of CBD, other cannabinoids, and THC per serving. The lower strength version is available in a 30-day supply for $74.99, while the higher strength is available for $129.99.
The recommended dosage for both strengths is half of a full dropper, placed under the tongue for 30 seconds, once or twice a day.
Batch Calm Oil is backed by a 30-day happiness guarantee and has 5-star reviews indicating its usefulness in obtaining a good night's sleep, helping improve anxiety, and enhancing the ability to relax.
2. A Quality Life — best supplements for chronic stress
A Quality Life manufactures these gummies to contain Ashwagandha, an herbal supplement known for its potential ability to improve sleep, help reduce stress, and improve anxiety when used daily. These gummies are an organic, gluten-free, and vegan-friendly supplement that may be a great addition to your mental health routine.
Ashwagandha Gummies are third-party tested to ensure they are free of any harmful contaminants and contain a confirmed 150 mg of Ashwagandha per serving.
A Quality Life recommends a daily dosage of two gummies taken 20-30 minutes before a meal. Using this dosing, a 30-day supply is available for $37.95, which includes free shipping on all orders.
With over 60 5-star reviews, customers often praise this product for its ability to reduce stress and help improve their sleep quality.
3. Future Kind — best supplements for stress and fatigue
Super Plant Complex uses a combination of herbs to help boost energy and help provide anxiety and stress relief. This non-GMO, organic product contains 9 different ingredients with scientific evidence showing their potential effects in improving one's mood.
Each capsule contains Ashwagandha, Panax ginseng, astragalus root, holy basil, Rhodiola, Eleutherococus senticosus root, Schisandra fruit, amla fruit, and maca root.
Future Kind utilizes third-party laboratory testing to ensure the content and concentrations of its supplements and includes a 30-day 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee.
The recommended dosage is 2 capsules to be taken with a full glass of water once a day. Following this recommended dosing schedule, one bottle will provide a 30-day supply for $24.99. However, additional savings are available when ordering 90 to 180-day supplies.
Satisfied customers have left numerous reviews indicating this product has been beneficial in helping them reduce stress and stabilize their mood.
4. Natural Stacks — best supplements for stress management
Natural Stacks manufactures its Zen Magnesium Gummies to support magnesium levels with 200 mg of magnesium per serving and includes L-theanine and ashwagandha that may help your body combat the negative effects of stress.
Each ingredient is non-GMO, vegan friendly, and has some scientific evidence of its potential to help combat stress. This product does not contain any artificial flavorings, sweeteners, or artificial colorings. It also undergoes third-party testing to confirm product label claims, ingredient identity, and quantity.
The recommended daily dosage for the Zen Magnesium Gummies is 2 gummies. Using this dosage, one bottle will last 30 days and cost $29.95. Each order comes with a 100% money-back guarantee.
Although there are a limited number of customer reviews, buyer feedback indicates consumers are happy with the results obtained from using Zen Magnesium Gummies.
5. Bulletproof — best supplements for relaxation
Bulletproof Stress Gummies utilize Ashwagandha as the primary ingredient to promote stress relief and better sleep.
This product includes vitamin B6 and L-theanine to supply additional help in managing stress and supporting a healthy mood. These gummies are also sugar-free and use a natural sweetener to achieve its tangy berry lemon flavor.
Bulletproof recommends using two gummies daily. This dosage will allow one bottle to last for 30 days for $17.46. Each order also comes with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee or your money back.
This product has 70 5-star reviews, and customers are satisfied with the effect of this product in helping them manage stress and obtain a calm state of mind. However, one criticism of this product is its taste, which is associated with the earthy flavor of Ashwagandha.
Comparison of best supplements for stress
|Price per serving
|Servings per bottle
|$74.99 (1000 mg), $129.99 (3000 mg)
|$1.24 (1000 mg), $2.17 (3000 mg)
|A Quality Life
|A Quality Life review
Do supplements for stress work?
Stress is commonplace in today's society, and for many, this can have a negative effect on their physical and mental health.
Some people find that using supplements can help reduce their stress levels and improve overall well-being. While several supplements have scientific evidence supporting their use, many lack conclusive evidence that they can aid in stress relief.
The mechanism by which many supplements achieve their stress relief properties is not fully known.
Some scientific evidence shows that supplements may increase certain neurotransmitters in the brain while others affect cortisol levels within the body, which can have effects on mood. As always, it is important to discuss with your doctor before starting any supplement.
What are the natural supplements for stress management?
Given the large number of natural supplements for stress reduction, it is difficult to evaluate every product fully. However, some key ingredients have been shown to be beneficial in maintaining your health and well-being. These include:
- B-vitamins. Vitamin B3 (niacin) and vitamin B6 are commonly included in stress relief preparations for their role in energy production and nervous system health.
- Ashwagandha. This Ayurvedic medicinal herb is reported to reduce cortisol levels and help those suffering from chronic stress.
- Rhodiola. This adaptogen herb has been used for years in Europe and has been shown to improve stress levels in as little as three days.
- Theanine. This unique amino acid, also known as L-theanine, is present in tea leaves and may produce a relaxing effect that has been shown to have positive effects on stress levels.
- Schisandra fruit extract. This adaptogenic fruit is often used to help combat stress and fatigue. However, limited research is available to confirm its full effects on these issues.
Natural vs. synthetic: benefits of natural supplements for stress relief
Synthetic nutrients are chemically produced in the laboratory setting to imitate regular nutrients. Natural nutrients are found in foods and can be either plant or animal-based. Although nutrients' chemical and natural structures are often identical, natural nutrients from whole food sources are typically preferred.
Natural nutrients are often better absorbed and more efficiently used by the body. In addition, when obtained from plant and animal sources, they can also contain co-factors and other compounds essential in the utilization of the natural nutrient.
To confirm you are getting natural supplements, read the label to make sure the ingredients are obtained from plant or animal sources.
Potential side effects of stress supplements
The common side effects associated with stress supplements include nausea, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Allergic reactions (e.g., rash, difficulty breathing) can also occur and should be monitored when starting a new supplement.
More severe reactions, such as damage to the liver, increased bleeding risk, and gastric irritation can also occur when using these supplements.
The use of stress supplements should be avoided in pregnant or lactating women due to the unknown risks they may pose to the fetus or newborn. Interactions with prescription medications and other disease states can occur, so it's essential to discuss taking a new supplement with your doctor and pharmacist to ensure it is safe for you.
Best supplements for stress: conclusion
Work or personal life stressors can lead to burnout, fatigue, anxiety, and other medical conditions. While therapy and prescription medications are important treatments, the use of supplements to combat high stress levels may help or supplement other treatment modalities.
The literature is limited regarding the overall effects of these supplements, but some evidence is available to support their use. However, your doctor can help you decide which supplement is best for you and identify any potential complications.
Explore additional mental health products
Target your stress and anxiety with one of the best anxiety supplements of 2024.
The best CBD gummies for anxiety and stress are a convenient option to potentially help improve symptoms.
Incorporating one of these best nootropics for anxiety may be beneficial for some patients.
Trying these best CBD products for anxiety may help you better manage your stress.
Discover top anxiety relief products of 2024 to help manage stress and improve well-being effectively.
Find the most recommended stress relief products of 2024 to improve your well-being and combat stress effectively.
Are natural supplements for stress safe for long-term use?
Studies have shown many of the ingredients used in natural supplements for stress are generally safe when taken at the recommended doses. Still, there needs to be long-term safety studies. Therefore, when taking a supplement it is generally recommended to use them for a short time and always discuss their use with your doctor.
Can I combine different supplements for stress?
Combining different supplements is typically only recommended if under the direction of your physician. When combining supplements, the risk of adverse effects can increase and the effectiveness of each ingredient may be altered due to absorption or metabolism issues. Additionally, some herbal ingredients, when taken together, can interact with each other.
Can I take supplements for stress relief alongside prescription medications?
Incorporating a supplement with your prescription medications can be dangerous and result in unexpected interactions and side effects. Therefore, if you are considering taking a supplement, talk with your doctor first to make sure it is safe to be taken with your current medications.
- Journal of Psychomotor Research. Acute stress and subsequent health outcomes: A systematic review.
- European Journal of Pharmacology. Central effects of stress hormones in health and disease: Understanding the protective and damaging effects of stress and stress mediators.
- Current Neuropharmacology. The “Entourage Effect”: Terpenes Coupled with Cannabinoids for the Treatment of Mood Disorders and Anxiety Disorders.
- Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. Use of cannabidiol in anxiety and anxiety-related disorders.
- Indian Journal of Psychological Medicine. A Prospective, Randomized Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Safety and Efficacy of a High-Concentration Full-Spectrum Extract of Ashwagandha Root in Reducing Stress and Anxiety in Adults.
- Nutrients. Anti-Stress, Behavioural and Magnetoencephalography Effects of an l-Theanine-Based Nutrient Drink: A Randomised, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Crossover Trial.
Discover top anxiety relief products of 2024 to help manage stress and improve well-being effectively.