Turkey tail mushroom has surged in popularity for its potential health benefits, making the hunt for the best turkey tail mushroom supplement more prominent than ever.
As 2023 rolled in, many brands have claimed the top spot, but which truly deliver on quality and safety?
Dive into our comprehensive review as we unveil the top 5 products this year, ensuring you make an informed choice for optimal possible benefits.
Best turkey tail supplements: a shortlist
- Real Mushrooms Turkey Tail capsules — best pure turkey tail capsules
- Real Mushrooms Turkey Tail bulk powder — best pure turkey tail powder
- Pure Essence — best double extract mix turkey tail capsules
- Nummies — best functional mushroom blend with turkey tail
- Real Mushrooms 5 Defenders — an outstanding 5 mushroom blend
How did we choose the best turkey tail supplements?
Selecting the best turkey tail mushroom supplement requires meticulous scrutiny. It is not merely about a brand’s promise but involves deep-diving into the details that guarantee efficacy and safety.
We considered a range of criteria to ensure our recommendations stand out.
|Third-party testing||Verified for quality at accredited independent labs|
|Sourcing||Clean sourcing locations and practices|
|Beta-glucan volume||>20% beta-glucans|
- Third-party testing. Supplements that undergo unbiased, external quality checks ensure they meet safety and purity standards.
- Source of ingredients. It is crucial to know where the mushrooms come from. Ethical and clean sourcing promises a purer product.
- Beta-glucan volume. The presence and concentration of these beneficial compounds dictate the supplement’s health potential.
- Price range. While quality is paramount, we also sought out options offering great value for money.
Balancing these elements, we have curated a list of the elite picks for 2023.
Best turkey tail mushroom supplements: an overview
Navigating the world of supplements can be overwhelming, especially with the myriad of choices available. To streamline your search, we have analyzed the market and zeroed in on the top contenders.
Here is an overview of the 5 standout turkey mushroom supplements that have made the cut, based on their quality, safety, and customer reviews. Dive in to discover which one aligns best with your needs.
1. Real Mushrooms Turkey Tail capsules — a prime choice for turkey tail supplement
Real Mushrooms Turkey Tail extract capsules stand out as a top choice for those seeking a sufficient and authentic mushroom supplement.
Grown and sourced directly from China (according to the provider, “it is one of the only places you can obtain pure organic mushroom extracts for supplement use”), the mushroom material is tested again when they arrive in the U.S. It is then sent to Real Mushrooms’ copackering partners who maintain NSF and SQF-certified facilities.
Real Mushrooms prioritize transparency, with every batch undergoing a third-party testing to guarantee purity and content.
The extraction process, via hot water, ensures the capsules retain a rich beta-glucan content (according to the label claim, at least 30%, or 150 mg per capsule).
Each bottle offers a supply of either 90 or 200 capsules, providing a recommended dosage of 2 capsules per day.
When it comes to cost, Real Mushrooms capsules provide great value, making it a favored choice for many who seek both quality and affordability — $34.95 or $69.95 depending on the bottle siztur
2. Real Mushrooms Turkey Tail bulk powder — best available turkey tail powder
Branching out from their capsule range, Real Mushrooms offer its turkey tail extract in a versatile bulk powder form. Catering to those who prefer a convenient form or wish to incorporate the mushroom benefits into various foods and drinks, the powder presents an adaptable solution.
Every recommended scoop, which amounts to about 1 mg per serving (approx. 0.5 tsp), is brimming with the goodness of turkey tail, maintaining the impressive >30% beta-glucans content that the brand is renowned for. This ensures consumers obtain the health potential with every serving.
Designed to fit seamlessly into your daily routine, whether mixed into your morning smoothie or evening tea. Furthermore, the bulk nature ensures you get a substantial quantity, thereby offering great value for your investment.
Cost-wise, Real Mushrooms has managed to strike a balance, making the potential health benefits of turkey tail accessible without compromising on quality — $34.95 for a 45 g pack, and a discounted price of $69.95 for a 100 g pack.
3. Pure Essence — the best blend of two turkey tail extraction ratios
Pure Essence brings to the forefront its premium offering, the MyPure Turkey Tail 4X. Sourced responsibly, the turkey tail in these capsules comes from the unblemished woodlands, ensuring its natural essence remains uncompromised.
With a commitment to authenticity and quality, Pure Essence ensures that every batch undergoes rigorous third-party testing.
One of its distinct features is the extraction process. The brand employs a unique blend of 1:1 and 8:1 hot water treated turkey tail mushroom extracts, which is meticulously designed to harness the full spectrum of the mushroom’s beneficial constituents, including an impressive beta-glucan content (at least 20%).
As for dosage, it is recommended by the provider to consume 1 capsule daily. Each bottle contains either a month-long supply (30 capsules), or a two-month supply (60 capsules).
When it comes to pricing, Pure Essence underscores its dedication to deliver top-notch quality, making the MyPure Turkey Tail 4X a worthy investment — at $37.29 and $64.16 respectively.
4. Nummies — best blend of beneficial mushrooms in a gummy form
Nummies take a delightful twist on mushroom supplements with their functional mushroom gummies. To maintain transparency and guarantee quality, every batch undergoes rigorous independent lab testing.
The extraction process retains the goodness of not just turkey tail, but a robust mix of mushrooms including maitake, shiitake, lion’s mane, reishi, cordyceps, chaga, white button, black fungus, and royal sun. This blend ensures customers benefit from a wide spectrum of nutrients, including the beneficial beta-glucans.
2 gummies daily is the recommended dosage by Nummies, with each bottle packed with a month’s supply (60 gummies in total). These gummies offer not just the probable health benefits but also a convenient edible experience, making it easy to include into your dietary regimen.
As for the cost, Nummies functional mushroom gummies ensure that premium quality is accompanied by value, making these gummies a favorable choice for health enthusiasts — $24.99 for a one-time purchase.
5. Real Mushrooms 5 Defenders — an excellent blend of functional mushrooms for immune support
Real Mushrooms have presented us with the 5 Defenders organic mushroom blend capsules, a synergistic blend of 5 potent mushrooms.
This product is not just about turkey tail; it encapsulates the combined benefits of reishi (known for possible immune support), shiitake (may promote cardiovascular health), maitake (boasts potential anti-cancer properties), turkey tail (rich in antioxidants), and chaga (noted for its anti-inflammatory effects).
Together, these mushrooms provide a holistic approach to wellness. As with all products from Real Mushrooms, quality assurance is paramount, and the unique blend is formulated to ensure consumers reap a spectrum of health benefits.
The recommended serving size by Real Mushrooms is 2 capsules daily, ensuring consumers consistently gain potential benefits from the combined mushroom goodness.
Cost-wise, this blend offers incredible value, as consumers are not only investing in a supplement but a comprehensive health solution backed by the trustworthiness of the Real Mushrooms brand — $34.95 for a 90 capsule supply and a discounted $69.95 for a 200 capsule supply.
Comparison of the top turkey tail supplements
|Product||Price||Price per serving||Serving size (per day)||Servings per supply||Beta-glucan volume||Our pick for||Review|
|Real Mushrooms Turkey Tail capsules||$34.95*||0.77*||2 capsules||45 or 100||>30%||Best pure turkey tail capsules||Real Mushrooms review|
|Real Mushrooms Turkey Tail bulk powder||$34.95*||0.77*||1 mg (3.53 oz)||45 or 100||>30%||Best pure turkey tail powder||Real Mushrooms review|
|Pure Essence||$37.29*||$1.24*||1 capsule||30 or 60||>20%||Best double extract mix turkey tail capsules||Pure Essence review|
|Nummies||$24.99||$0.41||2 gummies||30||Unspecified||Best functional mushroom blend with turkey tail||N/A|
|Real Mushrooms 5 Defenders||$34.95*||0.77*||2 capsules||45 or 100||>20%||An outstanding 5 mushroom blend||Real Mushrooms review|
* — prices vary depending on the capsule or powder amount within a single bottle/pack.
What is turkey tail mushroom?
Turkey tail mushroom, scientifically known as Trametes versicolor, is a colorful and fan-shaped fungi predominantly found on tree trunks and fallen logs across forests worldwide. Its name derives from its striking resemblance to the plume of feathers on a turkey’s tail.
Traditionally used in various cultures, especially in Chinese and Japanese medicine, turkey tail is lauded for its potential health benefits. Rich in compounds like beta-glucans, polysaccharides, and antioxidants, it is often consumed to support immune function.
Recent studies have also explored particular components of turkey tail and their potential capabilities in cancer treatments, particularly in conjunction with chemotherapy, with repeatedly positive results.
Beyond its medicinal uses, turkey tail serves as a testament to the power of nature’s offerings in promoting overall well-being.
Turkey tail mushroom health benefits
Turkey tail mushroom, a wonder of the natural world, has been revered for centuries for its medicinal properties. Delving into its tapestry of benefits, it is not hard to see why this vibrant fungi has earned such acclaim. Here, we explore some of the health advantages of turkey tail, shedding light on its potential in promoting well-being.
Immune system support
Turkey tail mushroom is rich in compounds known as polysaccharopeptide (PSP) and polysaccharide-K (PSK). These compounds have been studied for their potential to bolster the immune system.
They appear to modulate immune responses by enhancing the activity of certain immune cells and regulating cytokine production. The result is a potentially strengthened defense mechanism against pathogens, making turkey tail a sought-after natural ally in immune health support.
Cancer therapy adjunct
Turkey tail mushroom contains PSK, which has been researched as an adjunct therapy for certain types of cancer, particularly in Japan.
Some studies suggest PSK might enhance the effectiveness of chemotherapy and potentially improve survival rates for certain cancer patients.
However, it is essential to note that while promising, these findings do not replace traditional cancer treatments.
Always consult with a healthcare professional before considering turkey tail or any supplement in a medicinal context.
Turkey tail mushroom has potential prebiotic properties, which can support gut health by fostering the growth of beneficial bacteria. This balance in gut flora might aid digestion and overall intestinal health.
However, while there are promising indications, it is vital to understand that individual results may vary.
Before integrating turkey tail or any supplement for gut health purposes, it is advisable to consult with a healthcare expert.
Turkey tail mushroom is believed to contain phenol and flavonoid antioxidants that combat oxidative stress, helping protect cells from potential damage. Oxidative stress is linked to various chronic diseases and aging.
However, while the antioxidant properties of turkey tail are promising, it is important to approach with caution.
Before relying on it or any supplement for antioxidant support, it is recommended to seek advice from a healthcare professional.
Potential side effects of turkey tail mushrooms
While turkey tail mushroom is generally considered safe for many people and has been consumed for centuries for its health benefits, it is crucial to be aware of potential side effects, especially when consumed in large quantities or over extended periods. Just as with any supplement or medicinal product, individual reactions can vary.
Here are some potential side effects to consider:
- Digestive upset. Some individuals might experience digestive discomfort, including gas, bloating, or diarrhea.
- Darkened stools. Turkey tail might cause stools to become darker, which can be alarming but is typically harmless.
- Allergic reactions. Rarely, individuals might exhibit allergic reactions, manifesting as skin rashes or respiratory issues.
- Potential drug interactions. Especially when taken with medications that affect the immune system, there is a possibility of interactions.
Different forms of turkey tail mushroom supplements
Navigating the world of supplements, turkey tail mushrooms emerge in various forms. Discover the diverse offerings and find the perfect fit for your wellness journey under this comprehensive guide:
- Powder. Often resulting from dried and ground turkey tail mushrooms, powders are versatile. They can be mixed into drinks, smoothies, or food, offering flexibility in consumption. This form allows for a convenient way to incorporate turkey tail into your diet.
- Pills/capsules. These are convenient, portable, and provide a consistent dose. Capsules typically contain either powdered mushroom or extracted compounds. They are ideal for those who prefer a straightforward and mess-free supplementation method.
- Tinctures. Liquid extracts of turkey tail mushroom, tinctures are highly concentrated. They can be taken directly under the tongue or added to water. This form provides a rapid absorption rate.
- Tea. A soothing option, turkey tail teas involve steeping the mushroom in hot water. This form not only offers potential health benefits but also calming rituals. It is a gentle way to introduce the body to the mushroom’s properties.
- Gummies. A flavorful way to consume turkey tail, gummies combine the potential health benefits with taste. They are especially popular among those who might be put off by the natural flavor of mushrooms but still want to reap the benefits.
Can turkey tail mushrooms help fight cancer?
Turkey tail mushroom has garnered attention in the scientific community for its potential anti-cancer properties, particularly its compounds PSK and PSP. In some studies, especially in Japan, PSK has been used as an adjunct to chemotherapy, possibly improving survival rates for certain cancer patients.
Additionally, PSP has been researched for its potential to stimulate the immune system, which could play a role in cancer resistance.
However, it is of an utmost importance to note:
- The research is still evolving, and results may vary.
- Turkey tail should not replace traditional cancer treatments.
- Always consult with oncologists or healthcare professionals before considering turkey tail or any supplement in a medical context.
In essence, while there is potential, definitive conclusions about turkey tail’s efficacy against cancer are still under investigation.
How do you take turkey tail mushrooms?
Taking turkey tail mushrooms can vary depending on the form and individual preferences. Here is a general guide:
- Powder. Mix into drinks, smoothies, or sprinkle on foods. A common dosage is 1–3 grams daily, but always check product labels.
- Pills/capsules. Typically consumed with water, dosage depends on the concentration. Many supplements recommend 1–2 capsules daily.
- Tinctures. Drops can be placed under the tongue or added to a drink. Follow the product’s recommended dosage.
- Tea. Steep turkey tail mushroom pieces in hot water for 5–10 minutes. Enjoy daily for a soothing intake method.
- Gummies. Simply chew and enjoy, adhering to the recommended serving size.
Our conclusion about turkey tail supplements
Turkey tail mushroom supplements, with their rich history and potential health benefits, have carved a notable niche in the wellness arena. From immune support to possible cancer therapy adjunct, their promise is being researched even to this day.
However, as with all supplements, individual reactions can vary, and consultation with a healthcare professional is vital.
Overall, turkey tail stands as a compelling natural option worth exploring.
Explore other health benefits that functional medicinal mushrooms may provide
Best lion’s mane supplements: discover the healthy benefits that lion’s mane mushrooms tend to provide
Best nootropic mushrooms: support your cognitive function with the following mushroom options
Best mushroom supplements for optimal health: enhance your overall health with medicinal mushrooms
Best mushroom coffee: sooth your day with a blend of coffee and functional mushrooms
Best mushroom gummies: explore the flavorful way to consume medicinal mushrooms
What are the best turkey tail supplements?
The best turkey tail supplements often have third-party testing, sourced ingredients, a known beta-glucan content and a reasonable price. Brands like Real Mushrooms and have received mention for their quality. Always consult a healthcare professional before starting any supplement.
Does turkey tail mushroom increase estrogen?
There is limited evidence suggesting turkey tail mushrooms might affect estrogen levels. Some studies indicate it may have estrogen-like effects, but definitive conclusions are lacking. If concerned about hormone levels or interactions, it is best to consult with a healthcare professional.
What is turkey tail tea good for?
Turkey tail tea is believed to offer immune support and antioxidant properties due to the mushroom’s natural compounds. Consumed as a soothing beverage, it provides a gentle way to introduce the body to turkey tail’s potential benefits. Consult a doctor before starting any new health regimen.
- National Cancer Institute. Medicinal Mushrooms (PDQ®)–Health Professional Version.
- International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms. Medicinal Value of Turkey Tail Fungus Trametes versicolor (L.:Fr.) Pilát (Aphyllophoromycetideae). A Literature Review.
- Molecules. Bioactivities and Health Benefits of Mushrooms Mainly from China.
- Progress in Molecular Biology and Translational Science. Chapter Fifteen - Coriolus versicolor polysaccharopeptide as an immunotherapeutic in China.