Heated weighted blankets have become a sought-after sleep accessory in recent years.
By combining the deep pressure touch of a weighted blanket with the warmth of a heating element, they provide a unique comfort experience. The deep pressure offers a feeling of security and helps reduce anxiety, while the warmth can soothe aching muscles and enhance relaxation.
If you are seeking a perfect blend of coziness and therapeutic relief, a heated weighted blanket might be just what you need. In this article, we present our picks for 4 best heated weighted blankets and 1 all-season weighted blanket of 2023 for your utmost comfort.
Best weighted heated blankets: a shortlist
- Zonli heated weighted blanket — best heated weighted blanket for therapeutic warmth
- DubsLabs — best non-electric weighted blanket
- Zonli heated blanket — best for camping
- Pure Enrichment — best heated weighted electric body pad
- Hammacher Schlemmer — excellent and luxurious
How we ranked the best heated and weighted blankets
To determine the best heated weighted blankets of 2023, we have conducted extensive research across various brands and models.
We took into consideration multiple factors that are crucial for both comfort and functionality, and the highest quality.
|Filling||High-quality, non-toxic micro materials|
|Weight||3.5–20 lbs. (1.6–9.1 kg)|
|Breathability||Wicks moisture and allows air flow|
- Filling. We evaluated the type of material used for filling — be it glass beads, plastic pellets, or natural fillings like fleece. The filling material affects both the blanket’s weight distribution and comfort level.
- Weight. The blankets were assessed based on the range of weights they come in, as different individuals require different levels of pressure for optimal comfort.
- Breathability. The fabric’s ability to wick moisture and allow airflow was examined. A breathable blanket is essential for ensuring a comfortable sleep, especially for those who tend to run hot.
- Pricing. We considered the overall cost of each blanket in relation to its features, materials, and consumer reviews. This helped us identify options that offer the best value for money.
Top heated weighted blankets: an overview
When it comes to achieving the perfect night’s sleep, comfort is key, and what could be more comforting than a heated weighted blanket?
These special blankets combine the snug pressure of weighted fillings with the soothing warmth of built-in heating elements, promising a sleep experience like no other. From helping with anxiety to easing muscle pain, they have been hailed as a potential helper for sleep quality.
In this overview, we will introduce you to our top 5 options for 2023 — 4 heated weighted blankets and 1 all-season weighted blanket for those who prefer a non-electric option. Each has been carefully selected based on our rigorous criteria, offering you the best in comfort, quality, and functionality.
1. Zonli heated weighted blanket — best warm weighted blanket for anxiety relief
The Zonli heated weighted blanket sets the standard for therapeutic warmth, seamlessly blending the benefits of electric and weighted blankets. This luxurious throw offers 10 personalized heat settings, regulated by a digital controller that features a 12-hour auto-off function, providing customized warmth alongside anxiety-relieving deep touch pressure (DTP).
Constructed with double 200 gsm flannel fleece and filled with certified lead-free glass beads, the blanket achieves a harmonious balance of softness, breathability, and weight distribution. The even spread of premium glass beads provides a gentle weighted stimulation.
Measuring in a size of 80” x 60” and 2 weights of 15 and 20 lbs., this blanket offers flexibility in choice.
In terms of pricing — $129 and $139 for the 2 weights respectively — the Zonli blanket is a beneficial investment in sleep health, backed by a 3-year limited warranty and built-in overheating protection system. A 10-foot power cable adds to its convenience, allowing the blanket to be used anywhere in the vicinity of AC power supply.
2. DubsLabs — for those opting for a non-electric option
Disclaimer: The DubsLabs all-season weighted blanket is a non-electric option and does not come with heating features. It is nominated as the best non-electric weighted blanket in our list.
The DubsLabs all-season weighted blanket offers versatile comfort for sleepers year-round. With dimensions of 72” x 48”, the blanket is generously sized for individual use.
Designed to weigh around 10% of your body weight, it comes in two options: a 15 lbs. blanket for individuals up to 180 pounds, and a 20 lbs. blanket for those 165 pounds and up.
The blanket features a double-sided design with 1 side made of cooling 100% bamboo fabric, perfect for summer nights, and a 100% polyester side ideal for fall and spring. For colder nights, it comes with a micro-plush duvet cover that is removable and washable.
The filling consists of glass micro-beads that are evenly distributed thanks to the gridded double stitching, providing deep touch pressure stimulation.
DubsLabs offers a 30-day return policy and free U.S. shipping and is priced at $199 for a 15 lbs. option, and $209 for a 20 lbs. one.
3. Zonli heated blanket — best lightweight heated blanket
Disclaimer: The Zonli anywhere warm ultra battery-powered heated blanket is specifically designed for heated comfort and is not a regular weighted blanket.
Designed for both indoor and outdoor use, the Zonli anywhere blanket, with additional features like magnetic clasps and snap buttons, is an ideal companion for camping trips and chilly evenings.
Measuring 62” x 55”, this single-person blanket is lightweight, weighing just 3.5 lbs., making it easy to carry. Its outer shell is made of teflon waterproof, windproof, and stain-proof polyester, while the inner layer features 600 gsm ultra-soft polar fleece.
The blanket is equipped with two large heat zones and offers three heat settings: low (113ºF), medium (131ºF), and high (149ºF). A 20,000 mAh rechargeable lithium battery powers the blanket for up to 7.5 hours, providing continuous warmth.
It also comes with a 6.55-feet extension cable, a fast-charging cable, and a waterproof carrying bag for convenience.
This machine-washable blanket is currently priced at $254.
4. Pure Enrichment — best weighted pad with heating elements
The Pure Enrichment WeightedWarmth weighted body pad with heat offers a unique 2-in-1 design that merges the calming effects of weighted pressure with therapeutic heat.
Crafted with ultra-soft, diamond-quilted micro mink velvet, this versatile pad is not only aesthetically pleasing but also incredibly comfortable to touch. It contains 6 lbs. of premium, non-toxic glass beads that are evenly distributed across the pad, delivering a firm yet gentle hugging sensation.
With three heat settings ranging from 113ºF to 131ºF, you can customize the warmth to your liking. Sized at 32” x 21”, this pad is both travel-friendly and perfect for adults and children over 8 years old.
Care is straightforward — simply spot clean, as it is not machine-washable. It also features a 1-hour auto shut-off timer for safety and comes backed by Pure Enrichment's 5-year warranty, ensuring both quality and peace of mind.
Currently, Pure Enrichment’s pad costs $54.99.
5. Hammacher Schlemmer — an excellent luxurious electric throw choice
You may freely indulge in luxury with Hammacher Schlemmer's heated weighted blanket, designed to combine the therapeutic benefits of weighted pressure and soothing heat.
This electric throw blanket weighs 13 pounds and is evenly filled with high-quality, non-toxic micro glass beads. The blanket features a soft micro mink front and a cozy sherpa lining, enhancing your relaxation experience.
With four heat settings on the LED controller, you can customize the temperature ranging from 90ºF to 105ºF. Measuring 60” L x 50” W, it's the ideal size for personal use. The product comes complete with a storage bag and a 9-foot cord that plugs into an AC outlet.
For cleaning, spot cleaning is recommended. One of its standout features is the lifetime guarantee from Hammacher Schlemmer, offering peace of mind for your luxurious investment.
Finally, Hammacher Schlemmer is currently priced at $129.95.
Comparison of the best heated weighted blankets
|Product||Price||Weight selection||Dimensions of the sizes||Temperature range||Cover materials||Filling materials||Our pick for|
|Zonli heated weighted blanket||$129.00*||15 and 20 lbs. (6.8 and 9.1 kg)||80” x 60”||10 heating levels||Not specified||Flannel fleece, glass beads||Best for delivering therapeutic warmth|
|DubsLabs||$199.00*||15 and 20 lbs. (6.8 and 9.1 kg)||72” x 48”||N/A||Bamboo, polyester, or micro-plush duvet||Glass beads||Best non-electric weighted blanket|
|Zonli heated blanket||$254.00||3.5 lbs. (1.6 kg)||62” x 55”||113ºF–149ºF||Teflon polyester||Ultra-soft polar fleece||Best for camping|
|Pure Enrichment||$54.99||6 lbs. (2.7 kg)||32” x 21”||113ºF–131ºF||Micro mink velvet||Glass beads||Best heated weighted body pad|
|Hammacher Schlemmer||$129.95||13 lbs. (5.9 kg)||60” x 50”||90ºF–105ºF||Micro mink and sherpa||Glass beads||Excellent and luxurious|
* — prices vary depending on the blanket’s weight.
What to know before choosing a heated weighted blanket?
Before choosing a heated weighted blanket, there are several important factors to consider to ensure you get the best of both warmth and weight. Balancing features like material, heat settings, size, weight, and safety features is crucial for maximizing comfort and utility.
Knowing what to look for in these areas can help you make an informed decision that caters to your specific needs. Below, we delve into each criterion in detail to guide you through the selection process:
- Filling/shell material. The filling and shell material are essential for both comfort and functionality. High-quality fillings like glass beads provide even weight distribution, while the shell material, often made of cotton or microfiber, impacts softness and breathability. Choose materials that suit your skin sensitivity and climate.
- Weight/size. The weight and size of the blanket are crucial for effectiveness and comfort. Generally, a weighted blanket should be around 10% of your body weight. The size should fit your bed or body well, without hanging over the edges, for optimum benefits.
- Care. Care and maintenance are key factors to consider. Check if the blanket is machine-washable or requires spot-cleaning. Some heated options may have detachable controls for easier cleaning. A low-maintenance blanket will serve you well over time.
- Brand reputation. Brand reputation matters when investing in a heated weighted blanket. Established brands often offer higher quality, durability, and better customer service. Check customers’ reviews and see if the brand stands behind their products with warranties or guarantees.
- Features. Features such as multiple heat settings, auto shut-off, and remote control can enhance your experience with a heated weighted blanket. Consider what specific functionalities will make the blanket convenient and adaptable to your needs.
Do I need a weighted heated blanket?
Determining whether you need a heated weighted blanket comes down to your specific needs for comfort and relaxation.
Scientific studies have shown that weighted blankets can offer deep touch pressure (DTP), which thereby may improve mood and promote relaxation.
Adding heat to the equation might further soothe muscles and enhance blood circulation. These blankets may be specifically beneficial for individuals dealing with stress, anxiety, or insomnia.
However, they are not suitable for everyone. Young children, pregnant women, and people with certain medical conditions should consult a healthcare professional before using one. Some of the blankets contain fleece that may act as an allergen to some.
Weighted heated blankets can provide an enveloping sense of calm combined with soothing warmth, possibly making them a multifaceted tool for improving sleep and relaxation.
How do heated weighted blankets work?
Heated weighted blankets combine the principles of DTP and therapeutic heat to provide dual benefits.
The weighted aspect utilizes glass beads or other fillings to evenly distribute weight across your body. This helps to reduce stress and anxiety while promoting relaxation and better sleep. The heating element, often adjustable, works to soothe muscles and improve blood circulation.
There are primarily three types of heated weighted blankets:
- Electric heated. These come with a plug-in feature and adjustable heat settings.
- Battery-powered. Ideal for outdoor use, these blankets are operated via a rechargeable battery.
- Microwaveable. These have bead fillings that can be heated in a microwave for short-term warmth.
Together, these features work in synergy to possibly provide a more restful and comfortable experience.
Heated blanket vs. weighted blanket
Heated blankets and weighted blankets serve distinct purposes, although both aim to provide comfort and relaxation.
A heated blanket primarily focuses on delivering warmth through electrical or battery-powered heating elements, making it ideal for cold weather or for those that seek comfort.
On the other hand, a weighted blanket uses evenly distributed weight, typically from glass beads or other fillings, to offer deep touch pressure, which can help reduce anxiety and improve sleep quality.
Choosing between the two depends on your specific needs. If you're looking for relief from the cold and strive for relaxation, a heated blanket may be the best option. However, if you're dealing with stress, anxiety, or sleep issues, a weighted blanket could provide the therapeutic benefits you need.
Some products combine both features, offering the best of both worlds. For more options on weighted blankets, check out our list for the best weighted blankets.
Are weighted heated blankets safe to use?
Heated weighted blankets are generally safe to use, but there are important caveats to consider.
These blankets are not recommended for infants, toddlers, or anyone unable to move the blanket themselves due to the risk of suffocation or overheating.
Individuals with certain medical conditions like respiratory issues, poor circulation, or temperature regulation problems should consult a healthcare provider before use.
It's essential to read and follow all safety guidelines that come with your blanket.
How to wash a heated weighted blanket?
Washing a heated weighted blanket requires special care to ensure the blanket's longevity and safety. Before washing, always read the manufacturer’s guidelines on your specific blanket, as instructions may vary. Generally, the steps are as follows:
- Unplug and remove components. Disconnect all electrical components like cords and controllers. Some blankets have removable electrical parts, while others do not.
- Pre-treat stains. Spot-clean any stains using a mild detergent and cold water.
- Machine or hand wash. For machine-washable blankets, use the gentle cycle with cold water. Hand washing is a safer option for more delicate blankets. Always use mild detergent.
- Rinse and drain. If hand-washing, thoroughly rinse the blanket and gently squeeze out excess water. Do not wring it out, as this could damage the internal wiring.
- Air dry. Hang the blanket to air dry. Avoid using a tumble dryer unless the manufacturer's instructions specifically say it is safe to do so.
- Inspect before use. Before reattaching any electrical components and using the blanket, check for any visible damage to ensure it is safe to use.
By following these steps and adhering to manufacturer guidelines, you can extend the life and efficiency of your heated weighted blanket.
Best heated weighted blankets: our conclusion
The market for heated weighted blankets offers a diverse range of products tailored to various needs. If you're seeking an electric option with a wide temperature range, Zonli's heated weighted blanket is an excellent choice.
On the other hand, for those who want a non-electric alternative, we would choose DubsLabs' all-season weighted blanket for its breathable, year-round comfort.
Both brands offer unique benefits that cater to different needs. Whether you're aiming for pain relief, better sleep quality, or just a cozy way to relax, we think that the best blanket for you is out there waiting to add warmth and weight to your life.
Read more about products for improved sleep
Best cooling weighted blankets: for those seeking increased breathability and the prevention of overheating
Best latex pillows: for those reaching buoyancy during restful sleep
Best memory foam pillows: if you opt for motion isolation while shifting during the night
Best blue light glasses: for reducing sleep latency
Best light therapy glasses: for natural sleep-wake cycle restoration
These products are intended for general wellness purposes and are not designed to be used as medical devices. If you have any concerns about your health, please consult a medical professional before using these products.
Which heated weighted blanket should I choose?
If you are looking for a versatile, well-made heated weighted blanket, the could be your choice. It offers customizable heat with 10 heating levels and uses high-quality materials. In our opinion, it is an excellent choice for those seeking both comfort and warmth.
How is a heated weighted blanket different from a weighted blanket?
A heated weighted blanket combines the benefits of a weighted blanket's DTP with the added feature of adjustable heat settings. While a standard weighted blanket provides pressure to help you relax, a heated version also offers warmth, making it ideal for colder seasons or added comfort.
Can weighted heated blankets be dangerous?
Heated weighted blankets are generally safe for most people when used correctly. However, they may not be suitable for young children or those with certain health conditions. Follow the manufacturer's guidelines, especially regarding the heat settings and auto shut-off features.
- Occupational Therapy in Mental Health. Exploring the Safety and Therapeutic Effects of Deep Pressure Stimulation Using a Weighted Blanket.
- Science. Experiencing Physical Warmth Promotes Interpersonal Warmth.
- Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy. Weighted blankets for sleep problems – prescription, use and cost analysis.
- Journal of Sleep Medicine & Disorders. Positive Effects of a Weighted Blanket on Insomnia.
- International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. Parents’ Experiences of Weighted Blankets’ Impact on Children with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Sleep Problems—A Qualitative Study.
Show all references
- Pain Management Nursing. Do Warmed Blankets Change Pain, Agitation, Mood or Analgesic Use Among Nursing Home Residents?