Whether it is a close friend or a family member, being a great host can ensure your guests enjoy their stay. However, many overlook the importance of a comfortable mattress in the guest room. If you are hosting a one-night visit or an extended stay, getting quality sleep is essential to making your visitors feel comfortable and welcome.
If you need to purchase a high-quality mattress for your guest bedroom, this article can help. After researching a wide range of mattresses, we developed our own list of the best mattress for guest room. Additionally, we provide some criteria and helpful tips for evaluating and choosing a mattress.
Best mattress for guest room: shortlist
- Puffy — overall best mattress for guest room
- Amerisleep — best memory foam with cooling technology mattress
- Plank — best extra firm mattress for a guest bedroom
- SweetNight — best mattress for guest bedroom on a budget
- Brooklyn Bedding — best hybrid mattress for a guest room
Our criteria for choosing the best mattress for guest room
|$449 – $1,099 for queen size mattresses
|High-quality memory foam, breathable materials
|Soft to extra firm
|Materials that hold up against sustained use.
- Price. Mattresses are an important purchase, making it desirable to find a great value for the price. Selecting a mattress that is comfortable and durable adds significant value to the purchase.
- Materials. High-quality materials certified to be safe for use are important in providing guests with a comfortable sleep. The use of breathable materials can help regulate body temperature and keep you comfortable throughout the night.
- Firmness. The firmness of the mattress can help provide adequate support to the back and relieve pressure points to increase the comfort of the mattress.
- Durability. The use of high-quality materials able to relieve pressure points without sagging or losing their support provides a consistent night's sleep for years to come.
Best guest room mattress: product reviews
We have developed this best mattress for a guest room list to aid you in selecting the mattress that best fits your needs and ensures a restful night's sleep for your guests.
1. Puffy — overall best mattress for guest room
The Puffy Cloud Mattress is manufactured in the USA using CertiPUR-US® certified memory foam instead of traditional innerspring coils. This foam provides motion isolation for an undisturbed, superior night's sleep.
The mattress uses two layers of temperature-modifying foam, Cooling Cloud™ foam, and Climate Comfort™, to help keep the sleeper comfortable throughout the night.
The Puffy Cloud Mattress provides a medium-firm feel and comfort for sleepers no matter their sleep position, making this mattress a good choice to accommodate a wide range of individuals.
A queen-size Puffy Cloud Mattress is available for $1,049, which includes free shipping, two free pillows, a mattress protector, and a sheet set. Each purchase is backed by a lifetime warranty and offers a 101-night satisfaction guarantee sleep trial.
2. Amerisleep — best memory foam with cooling technology mattress
The AS2 Mattress by Amerisleep is manufactured in the USA using a plant-based Bio-Pur® material to provide lasting comfort and improved cooling during the night. In addition to being better for the environment, the material is CertiPUR-US® certified and free of harmful chemicals and fiberglass.
The Bio-Pur® memory foam helps to relieve pressure points while supporting natural spinal alignment. This mattress has a medium-firm feel and is ideal for back and stomach sleepers.
A queen-size AS2 mattress is available for $1,099 and includes free shipping on deliveries and returns. To ensure you are happy with the mattress, Amerisleep offers a 20-year warranty and a 100-night satisfaction guarantee with every order.
3. Plank — best extra firm mattress for a guest bedroom
The Plank Firm Mattress is manufactured in the USA using high-density foam to reduce spinal stresses and provide superior lumbar support to help relieve back pain. The foam used for this mattress has open-cell technology to help wick away excess heat and keep you cool throughout the night.
Simply flipping the mattress over can change the firmness from extra firm to firm. The flippable design allows the guest to choose a firmness level while also increasing the mattress's longevity.
The Plank Firm Mattress is available in a queen size for $999, including free shipping. However, if returned, there is a $99 return shipping fee.
This mattress is backed by a 10-year warranty and a 120-night satisfaction guarantee.
4. SweetNight — best mattress for guest bedroom on a budget
The Twilight Hybrid Mattress by SweetNight is a hybrid mattress, meaning a combination of memory foam and individually wrapped springs, to provide comfort and pressure relief with the support of coils. The foam used by SweetNight is CertiPUR-US® certified and OEKO-TEX certified to be free of harmful substances.
Manufactured with gel-infused comfort foam and a pocket coil support core, which improves airflow, allowing the sleeper to stay cooler throughout the night.
The Twilight Hybrid Mattress incorporates a pillow-top design to help relieve pressure points and provide additional comfort. The overall firmness of this mattress is medium-firm.
The queen-size mattress comes in a 10-inch thickness and is currently marked down to $449, however, the 12-inch thick queen mattress is sold out. All orders include free shipping and returns and offer a 100-night satisfaction guarantee and a 10-year warranty.
5. Brooklyn Bedding — best hybrid mattress for a guest room
Brooklyn Bedding manufactures its Signature Hybrid Mattress in the USA using VariFlex™ transition foam to maximize comfort and breathability in order to improve your sleep quality. This hybrid mattress contains up to 760 wrapped coils to enhance its motion isolation and targeted support.
The Signature Hybrid Mattress is available in three firmness levels: soft, medium, and firm. Choosing medium firmness, you can accommodate all sleeping positions, where the soft and firm are best for side sleepers and back/stomach sleepers, respectively.
A queen-size mattress is available for $999, including free shipping and a 120-night satisfaction guarantee. The craftsmanship of this product is guaranteed with a 10-year warranty and is shipped directly to your front door.
Comparison of the best mattress options for a guest room
|Price (Queen size)
|Plank Firm Mattress
|Firm to extra firm
|Twilight Hybrid Mattress
|Signature Hybrid Mattress
|Soft, medium, firm
What to look for when choosing the best guest room mattress
- Versatility. The best mattress for a guest room should accommodate a wide range of sleeping positions, body types, and circumstances. This will guarantee a good night's sleep for all your guests.
- Price. When selecting a good mattress for a guest room, finding a great value is important to ensure superior comfort for your guests without breaking the bank.
- Firmness level. The firmness of a mattress is a personal preference and varies significantly among different people. Therefore, it is best to pick a mattress that provides a happy medium for most sleepers.
- Temperature. The best mattress for guests should use breathable materials and cooling technologies to help maintain a consistent, comfortable body temperature throughout the night.
- Quality materials. Mattresses built using high-quality materials will provide a luxurious sleeping experience for your guests while providing durability and longevity.
- Reviews. Reading reviews and selecting a mattress with high ratings ensures you select the best guest room mattress to fulfill your visitors' needs.
Universally liked mattresses — mission impossible?
Mattress selections are made using personal preferences and to satisfy the needs of the sleeper. So, how can you select a universally liked mattress?
Before looking at mattresses, it is important to consider what guests you are most likely to have, their body types, and physical ailments such as arthritis or back issues. Accounting for these specific issues can help you select a mattress that can provide a comfortable sleep for most of your guests.
Hybrid and memory foam mattresses are ideal to help relieve pressure points for those with hip and shoulder pain, but if too soft, the mattress can fail to maintain proper spinal alignment, aggravating back issues. Choosing a mattress that utilizes memory foam's ability to reduce pressure but with a firmness level of medium to firm should be suitable for most of your guests.
Mattresses with a high number of 5-star reviews mean that a wide variety of users find the mattress comfortable, making it a good choice for a guest bedroom.
Key attributes to look for in a mattress for guest room
Some key attributes should be considered when deciding on the best mattress for a guest room. The first step in the decision is to identify who you are expecting to use the mattress, their size, and if they have any specific issues that need to be considered (e.g., back pain, hip pain, etc.).
Next, consider the firmness, filling, thickness, and type of mattress you desire. This will often narrow your search and help you find the most ideal choice for your needs. Below is some guidance regarding the key attributes of mattresses.
- Firmness. Choosing a firmness level that will accommodate a wide variety of sleepers is important for a guest room. A medium-firm mattress is good for multiple sleep positions and typically provides enough comfort and support for the majority of visitors.
- Filling. Selecting materials that are free from harmful chemicals and materials such as fiberglass is important for the safety of your guests. Hypoallergenic materials are important as well to help increase the comfort of guests with allergies.
- Thickness. A 10–12 inches thickness is considered standard, making this size available in many different options and price levels. A standard thickness is sufficient for most adults, but if you are expecting heavier individuals, a thickness of 12–14 may provide better support but is often more expensive.
- Type. Memory foam provides significant pressure point relief and can provide adequate support. However, if you prefer the support of wrapped coils, a hybrid mattress can combine the benefits of both.
What size bed and mattress is best for a guest room?
Many guest rooms are smaller than standard bedrooms; thus, placing a full-size or double bed helps prevent overcrowding. However, if your room is at least 12 feet by 12 feet, selecting the best queen mattress for a guest room is a more reasonable option to ensure sufficient space for two adults. Smaller mattresses are sufficient for a guest room that is commonly occupied by solo guests or children.
How to maintain a mattress for guest rooms
Regardless of the mattress you purchase, it can wear out prematurely if it is not taken care of properly. Here are some helpful tips to get the most out of your mattress.
- Use a mattress protector. Placing a mattress protector under the fitted sheet prevents any dirt, sweat, moisture, or dust mites from damaging the mattress.
- Wash sheets regularly. If you have a long-term guest, washing sheets every week can prevent oils and sweat from the skin from seeping into the mattress. Wash after every stay for a guest who visits for less than a week.
- Rotate the mattress. Refer to the manufacturer guidelines on whether the mattress should be flipped or rotated and perform the recommended service every 6–12 months.
- Adequate support. Placing the mattress on a solid foundation prevents uneven weight distribution and damage to the mattress.
Learn about other bedding options
Discover our top mattress choices to keep stomach sleepers comfortable.
Provide comfort with one of these best mattresses for hip pain.
Improve the quality of your sleep by checking our list of the best mattress for back pain.
Help relieve a sore neck with one of these best mattresses for neck pain.
Explore our top solutions on the market for best mattress for side sleepers.
Should a guest room mattress be soft or firm?
Firmness levels are a personal preference, while some prefer a soft mattress, others will favor a firm one. Choosing a mattress that falls somewhere in the middle, medium-firm, will typically accommodate the most guests and provide a restful night's sleep.
How thick should a guest mattress be?
When selecting a mattress for average-size adults, a 10–12-inch thickness is often sufficient. A thicker mattress should be considered for heavier sleepers to provide better support. Thinner mattresses, 8–10 inches thick, are better for those who have trouble getting in and out of bed and children.
Which mattress filling material is considered the best for guest comfort?
Mattresses using memory foam are often considered to provide superior comfort and pressure relief. However, memory foam can trap heat causing sleepers to get hot. Therefore, various modifications to memory foam exist that help to improve its breathability and cooling properties.
What firmness of mattress do most hotels use?
Hotel beds must provide comfort to a wide variety of sleepers and sleeping positions. Therefore, the most common firmness used by hotels is medium or medium-firm. This level of firmness provides a good balance between pressure relief and support to provide a universally comfortable night's sleep.
- Sleep Health. Effect of different mattress designs on promoting sleep quality, pain reduction, and spinal alignment in adults with or without back pain; systematic review of controlled trials.
- Journal of Thermal Biology. Sleep environments and sleep physiology: A review.
- Applied Ergonomics. The influence of bed firmness on sleep quality.