According to a 2017 study, only 7.3% of slumberers enjoy sleeping on their stomachs. This sleeping position is not only the rarest but also the most discouraged by sleep experts.
However, using the right pillow may aid with these issues. Pillows for stomach sleepers cradle the neck and head, reducing muscle stress and inducing a better position on the spine.
Additionally, sleeping on the tummy might be beneficial for some conditions. Some limited research studies suggest that individuals with apnea might benefit from this position as it might aidm with oxygenation.
For those who enjoy the comfort of laying on the belly, we have compiled our top picks for the best pillows for stomach sleepers in the market. We hope that you can find a dream companion for your bed adventures.
Unveiling the best pillows for stomach sleepers: shortlist
- Zamat — best pillow for stomach sleepers with comfortable design
- Turmerry — best materials in a pillow for stomach sleepers
- Sutera — most versatile pillow for stomach sleepers
- Zonli — best pillow for those with sensitive skin
- DubsLabs — best memory foam pillow for stomach sleepers
How did we choose the best pillows for stomach sleepers?
|High quality and comfortable materials
|GOTS, GOLS, Control Union, and others
|Low to medium firmness
|Fibers that balance temperature and increase airflow
- Price. We evaluated the price of the products and compared them in terms of quality, breathability, and other key characteristics.
- Materials. We selected pillows with high-quality materials that can support the head and neck. Additionally, we evaluated the efforts of each brand to craft pillows for those with sensitive skin.
- Certifications. We evaluated the certifications and manufacturing processes of different brands to ensure the safety of different individuals.
- Firmness. Low-height pillows with soft to medium firmness are the best pillows for stomach sleepers. This can be easily achieved with customizable fillings that can be adapted to the needs of those who prefer the prone position.
- Breathability. A research study suggested that pillows with breathability properties might induce better sleep quality. We evaluated the design of different pillows to allow airflow and absorb moisture.
5 best pillows for stomach sleepers: an overview
We have compiled a list of our top picks of pillows for belly sleepers in the market to induce better rest and reduce potential stiffness in the morning. We hope that you can find the right match among the products selected below.
1. Zamat — best design in a pillow for stomach sleepers
Zamat Butterfly Shaped Cervical Memory Foam Pillow adds a new layer of comfort to the nighttime routine of stomach sleepers. With a customizable memory foam filling, slumberers can adjust the firmness and height to their sweet spot.
The pillow comes with a removable pillowcase filled with memory foam, a material that adapts to the upper body and relieves pressure points on the neck, head, and shoulders.
Zamat’s memory foam is certified by CertiPUR-US, ensuring that their fillings and covers are free from harmful chemicals and hypoallergenic.
Additionally, it is designed with breathability properties, reducing heat and moisture during the night.
It is available for $65.99 and offers free shipping, plus a 10-year warranty.
2. Turmerry — best materials in a pillow for stomach sleepers
Turmerry Low Profile Latex Pillow is made with organic latex and cotton, providing the best of both worlds — breathability and support.
The pillow cradles the head and neck with its unique firmness, while allowing airflow throughout its layers to induce a cool rest. Additionally, sleepers will also have the opportunity to choose between three types of firmness for maximum comfort.
Turmerry also takes the spotlight on brand transparency. Firstly, due to its involvement in providing organic bedding materials like cotton. Secondly, due to its safety practices in the production and manufacture of the pillows, ensuring they are free from harmful chemicals and dyes.
The pillow can be suitable for kids, but the brand does not recommend its use in babies under 15 months.
It is available for $49 and includes free shipping and a 120-day return policy.
3. Sutera — best pillow for those who switch between sleeping positions
Sutera Dream Deep Pillow memory foam pillow may be one of the best pillows for belly sleepers who might switch positions throughout the night.
The pillow is crafted with high-density memory foam that gently contours the head and neck while providing an easy resting place for both arms. Slumberers may get the right support for their upper body and reduce potential stiffness in the morning, making it also one of the best pillows for stomach sleepers with neck pain.
Furthermore, the pillow is highly breathable and wicks away moisture, making it a match in heaven for stomach sleepers who sweat during sleep.
Sutera comes in a unique design with a washable microfiber cover, perfect to remove for an easier cleaning process.
It is available for $60.85 and includes a discount if you purchase one or two extra units.
4. Zonli — best pillow for stomach sleepers with sensitivities
Zonli AirCell Cooling Pillow introduces a unique design specially tailored for those stomach sleepers with sensitive skin. With its unique hypoallergenic and antibacterial materials, it cradles the head and neck while repelling moisture and dust.
This pillow is made with recycled thermoplastic elastomers (TPE) and ensures support in the upper body throughout the night. Additionally, it is highly breathable, balancing temperature, and reducing heat.
TPE is also very flexible, adapting easily to the desired position of sleepers, regardless if they tilt their head to the side or sink their face on the pillow.
The pillow is made with recycled materials, resists malodors, and is certified by Oeko-Tex Standard 100.
It is available for $89, comes in two colors with a 30-day return policy and free shipping.
5. DubsLabs — best memory foam pillow for stomach sleepers
DubsLabs Moonbow The Adjustable Plush Memory Pillow is the perfect pillow for those who tend to toss and turn in bed. With its customizable memory foam, it can adapt to the in-sleep movements of stomach sleepers by reshaping its surface.
The pillow comes with a cover of bamboo and polyester blend and a filling of memory foam. The combination of materials may help to release tension in the neck, head, and back while resisting body heat throughout the night.
Furthermore, sleepers can add or remove the foam to adjust its height and firmness.
The pillow is soft and plushy to the touch, while still providing support and comfort for stomach sleepers.
It is available from $69 and offers free shipping.
Comparing the pillows for stomach sleepers
|25" x 14" x 5" (63.5 x 36.8 x 12.7 cm)
|20.0" x 12.0" x 2.0" (50.8 x 30.4 x 5 cm)
|Soft, medium, and firm
|Cotton and latex
|Global Organic Latex Standard and Control Union
|25" x 13” x 5” (63.5 x 33 x 12.7 cm)
|Polyester and memory foam
|3.14" (7.97 cm) curve and 3.93" (9.98 cm) curve
|Thermoplastic elastomers (TPE)
|Blend of bamboo and polyester and memory foam
Why is it crucial to choose the right pillow for stomach sleepers?
Sleeping on the stomach is discouraged due to the fact that this position does not allow for proper spinal alignment and may lead to neck, jaw, and back pain. Furthermore, sleeping on one's stomach might result in morning stiffness and muscle discomfort. Nevertheless, some studies suggest that using the right pillow might provide comfort for stomach sleepers while also reducing morning discomfort.
Furthermore, it is crucial to choose pillows with a lower profile. Thin, plush pillows are a good match for stomach sleepers as they can alleviate strain on the neck and promote better spinal alignment. Additionally, it is advisable to pair a plush pillow with a firmer mattress, as this will provide adequate body support and relieve pressure points.
Common features to look for in the best pillows for stomach sleepers
For individuals who prefer sleeping on their stomachs, pressure points often accumulate around the ribs, neck, head, and back. Therefore, good pillows for stomach sleepers tend to address these pain points and alleviate potential discomfort.
- Loft. Pillow loft refers to its height, and flat pillows are more suitable for stomach sleepers. Excessive pillow height can result in neck discomfort.
- Firmness. Firmness is a key factor for stomach sleepers. Pillows should offer a soft or medium firmness to promote comfortable sleep. Customizable fillings allow sleepers to adjust both the firmness and height of the pillow to suit their specific needs.
- Materials. The choice of materials plays a crucial role for stomach sleepers. Since their faces come into contact with the pillow surface, and some may even breathe through the materials, it's important to opt for high-quality and breathable materials.
- Shape. The shape of the pillow can also be important for stomach sleepers. Some pillow shapes, like roll-shaped pillows, may not be suitable as they can elevate the head and cause discomfort during sleep. However, some shapes like butterfly may allow a comfortable sleep by supporting the neck and allowing the arms to rest on the side.
Memory foam vs. down: which is the best pillow for stomach sleepers?
Memory foam and down may be great materials for stomach sleepers, but each one has unique qualities.
Memory foam pillows provide support, cradling the neck and head, and promoting comfort during the night. However, it tends to trap heat, so it might not be the best option for those who are prone to get hot at night.
On the other hand, down pillows for stomach sleepers have plush and breathable properties, aiding spinal alignment and reducing heat. However, they may not provide the same level of support as memory foam. Additionally, down pillows are usually not hypoallergenic, which can be problematic for those with allergies.
In any case, the choice between memory foam and down should match your specific preferences and needs.
What pillow materials are used in the best pillows for stomach sleepers?
There are several pillows in the market with different materials like memory foam, latex, or cotton. Sleepers should review different brands and select the one suitable for their specific needs.
Firstly, memory foam and latex are known for their supportive properties. These fibers contour the body and provide relief to the pressure points of those who tend to sleep on their stomach. Additionally, they help to keep the head at a lower height, reducing muscle stress and promoting spinal alignment. However, these types of materials can accumulate heat, leading to discomfort for those who tend to get hot at night.
Other materials like cotton may be great fibers for stomach sleepers as they tend to be plush while increasing breathability at night. However, it may not be as supportive as foam or latex pillows and some might find their lack of firmness uncomfortable during sleep.
Adjustable pillows: a solution for stomach sleepers?
Stomach sleepers should use thin pillows with a low to medium level of firmness. Therefore, it is essential for them to select pillows with adaptable fillings capable of reducing discomfort in their neck and head.
Adjustable pillows may be a solution for these types of sleepers as they can adjust the firmness and height of the pillow to their needs.
Materials like memory foam usually come in layers and sleepers can add or remove layers to adjust the pillow correctly. This will grant better support and comfort during the night.
Cleaning and maintenance: making your pillow last
Pillows can be cleaned in various ways, depending on their care instructions. Some require hand washing, others can be cleaned in the washing machine, and some are only suitable for spot cleaning.
The maintenance of pillows may vary with different materials. For example, down feathers are generally easier to wash and dry at home, while cleaning memory foam can be more complex.
However, every brand recommends certain care instructions based on its design and materials. It is essential to follow their recommendations to ensure the durability of the pillow.
Lastly, it's recommended to replace your pillow every two years, although higher-quality pillows can last for up to five years.
How can stomach sleepers get better sleep?
Even though sleeping on your stomach is discouraged by doctors, some sleepers can’t resist the comfort of their favorite position in bed. To help you reduce the potential stiffness in the morning, we have compiled some tips and tricks for your next slumber.
- Customizable pillows. Choose pillows with adjustable fillings to adapt their firmness to your preferences. Customizing your sleep gear can induce comfort and reduce nighttime movement.
- Multiple pillows. It is advisable to place a second pillow between your lower abdomen and thigh to aid a correct placement of the spine and reduce back pain.
- Consider purchasing a new mattress. Over time, mattresses can lose support as foam layers get more relaxed. Belly sleepers should consider a mattress for stomach sleepers to support their body and relieve pressure points.
- Regular exercise. Studies suggest exercise can alleviate back pain and promote spinal alignment. Incorporate morning stretches or an active lifestyle to reduce potential stiffness and muscle stress.
Discover the world of bedding essentials
Find out more about the innovative world of sleeping rings with our review of the top 5 best sleep tracking rings.
Immerse in the world of organic comfort with our top picks of the best organic pillows on the market.
Enjoy switching up between sleeping positions with our review on the best body pillows.
Check out how blue light glasses can aid in blocking blue rays and inducing better sleep.
Discover another ally of comfort in sleep with our top picks for the best latex pillow on the market.
If you are planning a long-hour trips, consider neck pillows for travel.
If you are a heavy sleeper that wants to minimize pressure points during sleep, check for the best mattresses for heavy sleepers.
If you are a combination sleeper, consider using a top pillow for side and stomach sleepers.
What is the best pillow for stomach sleepers?
It depends. There are several types of pillow for stomach sleepers on the market with materials such as down, memory foam, latex, or buckwheat. If you're uncertain about where to begin, we recommend Sutera Dream Deep Pillow due to its excellent quality and affordability.
How does sleeping position cause neck pain?
Stomach sleepers often tend to tilt their heads to the side while sleeping, placing strain on the neck. Furthermore, this sleeping position does not promote proper spinal alignment, leading to tension in the back and discomfort in the neck.
What are the common issues faced by stomach sleepers?
Stomach sleepers may experience pressure points in the neck, shoulders, and back. Additionally, the hips and abdomen may press into the mattress, creating an imbalanced sleeping position that might result in stiffness and pain.
- Nature and Science of Sleep. Sleep positions and nocturnal body movements based on free-living accelerometer recordings.
- Sleep and Breathing. Effect of prone positioning in mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.
- Applied Sciences. Comfort and Support Values Provided by Different Pillow Materials for Individuals with Forward Head Posture.
- The Tohoku Journal of Experimental Medicine. Improving the quality of sleep with an optimal pillow: a randomized, comparative study.