Do you have trouble sleeping at night because of noise? If so, you're not alone. Millions of people around the world suffer from noise-related sleep problems. One solution to this problem is to use earplugs. Earplugs can help to block out noise and create a more peaceful environment for sleep. But are earplugs safe to use?
Earplugs are effective tools for enhancing sleep quality by blocking or reducing external noise disturbances.
Different earplugs are available, so it is important to choose ones that are comfortable and effective for you.
Earplugs should be used correctly while sleeping to avoid risks or side effects.
Some people should not use earplugs, such as those with ear infections or hearing problems.
How do earplugs work?
Earplugs are simple yet effective devices designed to block or reduce external noise. They work by physically obstructing sound waves from entering your ear canal. When properly inserted, earplugs create a barrier that dampens or attenuates noise.
This can be done in various ways, depending on the type of earplugs. Some earplugs are made of foam or silicone and are molded to the shape of the ear canal. These earplugs create a tight seal that blocks out most sound. Other earplugs are made of wax or plastic. These earplugs are less effective at blocking sound, but they are more comfortable to wear.
Benefits of earplugs
A lot of people use earplugs for different reasons. People can use earplugs to block out loud noises like machinery or gun shooting. There are many benefits to sleeping with earplugs. Earplugs can help to:
- Improve sleep quality by reducing noise levels.
- Reduce stress and anxiety.
- Increase deep sleep and REM sleep.
- Improve memory and concentration.
- Protect hearing from loud noise.
Types of earplugs
Various earplugs are available, each catering to different preferences and needs. So it is important to choose the ones that are right for you. Here are a few of the most common types of earplugs:
- Foam earplugs. These are the most common type of earplugs. They are made of soft foam molded to the ear canal's shape. Foam earplugs are effective at sound blocking, but they can be uncomfortable to wear for long periods.
- Silicone earplugs. These earplugs are made of soft silicone, which is flexible and comfortable for sleep. Silicone earplugs are not as effective at blocking sound as foam earplugs, but they are a good option for people who find foam earplugs uncomfortable.
- Wax earplugs. These earplugs are made of soft wax molded to the ear canal's shape. Wax earplugs are comfortable to wear and very effective at blocking sound. However, wax earplugs can be messy, and they can be difficult to remove.
- Custom earplugs. An audiologist makes these earplugs specifically for your ears. Custom earplugs are the most effective type of earplugs, but they are also the most expensive.
Choosing the best earplugs
Selecting the right earplugs for your sleep needs requires careful consideration. Factors such as noise reduction rating (NRR), material, comfort, and ease of use should all be considered. When choosing earplugs, it is important to consider the following factors:
|Reusability||Earplugs can be either disposable or reusable. Foam earplugs are typically disposable. Silicone or wax earplugs are typically reusable. Reusable earplugs are more expensive upfront but can save you money in the long run.|
|Materials||Earplugs can be made from a variety of materials, including foam, silicone, wax, and custom materials.|
|Size and comfort||Earplugs come in a variety of sizes to fit different ear canals. Choose earplugs that are the right size for your ears to ensure a comfortable fit. Earplugs that are the wrong size can be uncomfortable and cause pain.|
|Noise reduction rating (NRR)||If you are trying to block out loud noise, you will need earplugs that are more effective at blocking sound. A higher NRR indicates better noise reduction capabilities. Earplugs with an NRR of 30 or higher are recommended for people who are exposed to loud noise regularly.|
|Price||Earplugs can range from a few dollars to a few hundred dollars. The price depends on the materials and brand.|
Tips for using earplugs
Earplugs can be a game changer for people trying to sleep in a noisy environment. Using earplugs effectively involves more than just inserting them into your ears. There are a few things you can do to use earplugs safely and get the most out of their use.
Here are a few tips on how to use earplugs safely:
- Read the instructions carefully before use.
- Make sure that the earplugs are the right size for your ears.
- Insert the earplugs gently and slowly.
- Do not push the earplugs in too far.
- Remove the earplugs before you go swimming or showering.
- Replace the earplugs regularly.
If you're using foam earplugs, you should first wash your hands and ensure the earplugs are clean. Then, roll the earplug into a small, thin cylinder. Before inserting, reach over your head and pull your ear upward and slightly outward to straighten the ear canal. Insert the earplug and hold it in place for a few seconds while it expands. The earplug should be comfortable and not cause any pain or pressure. Adjust if necessary.
Risks of sleeping with earplugs
While earplugs can offer significant benefits, it's important to be aware of potential risks. There are a few risks and side effects associated with sleeping with earplugs. These risks include:
- Earwax buildup. Earplugs can trap earwax and cause it to build up in the ear canal. This can lead to ear pain, itching, and hearing problems. Earwax buildup can lead to tinnitus, a ringing noise in the ear.
- Ear infections. Earplugs can also increase the risk of ear infections. This is especially true if you already have a history of ear infections.
- Skin irritation. Earplugs can sometimes cause skin irritation around the ear canal. This is more likely to happen if you wear earplugs for long periods.
If you are concerned about the risks or side effects of sleeping with earplugs, you can try a few alternatives. Here are a few options:
- White noise machine. A white noise machine can help to block out noise without blocking your ears. White noise machines produce a constant sound that can mask other noises.
- Earmuffs. Earmuffs are a good option for people who must block out loud noise. Earmuffs are comfortable to wear and very effective at blocking sound.
- Wireless earbuds. Wireless earbuds, like AirPods, can come with NRR to help block out noise. They can also play music, sleep sounds, or white noise during your sleep.
Who should not use earplugs?
There are a few people who should not use earplugs. These people include:
- Children. Earplugs should not be used by children under the age of 3.
- People with ear infections. Earplugs can trap bacteria and worsen ear infections.
- People with hearing problems. Earplugs can block out important sounds, making hearing problems worse.
- People with earwax impaction. Earwax impaction can be made worse by using earplugs and can cause infections, pain, and tinnitus in the ear.
Sleeping with earplugs can be a safe and effective way to improve sleep quality for people who are bothered by noise. However, it is important to choose the right earplugs for you and to use them safely. If you have hearing problems or any complications with your ears, you should consult with your doctor before using them.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention. How To Wear Soft Foam Ear Plugs.
- Critical Care. The effect of earplugs during the night on the onset of delirium and sleep perception: a randomized controlled trial in intensive care patients.
- Sleep Medicine Reviews. Noise as a sleep aid: A systematic review.
- Iranian Journal of Nursing and Midwifery Research. The effect of earplugs and eye mask on patients’ perceived sleep quality in intensive care unit.