Sleep masks have been around for decades and never go out of style. In an upgraded version, smart sleep masks have incorporated advanced features that surpass their traditional purpose of blocking light to enhance your sleep experience. See how they work.
Smart sleep masks integrate technology to enhance the user’s sleep experience.
Features can include sleep tracking, built-in speakers, massagers, and alarm systems.
Smart sleep masks may improve sleep by blocking light and enhancing the overall sleep experience.
Risks of using smart sleep masks include skin reactions, blurred vision, infections, and obsession with perfect sleep.
Sleep masks are those things that anyone has or at least tried once. They are typically made from a soft, lightweight material that wraps around your head. Sleep masks may help people sleep better by blocking out light while sleeping. If you're looking for an updated version of your grandma's sleep mask, a smart sleep mask might be the best choice for you.
How do smart sleep masks work?
Smart sleep masks are sleep masks that incorporate technology to improve sleep quality. Here are some common features found in smart sleep masks:
- Sleep tracking. Some sleep masks have built-in sensors that track eye movements (including rapid eye movement) and deliver data on sleeping patterns and overall sleep quality. This information can be synced with an app to provide insights into your sleep habits.
- Integrated audio. These masks have built-in speakers or headphones. They connect to your phone or other devices via Bluetooth and allow you to enjoy your favorite songs, audiobooks, or guided meditations as you doze off.
- Wake-up functions. Smart sleep masks often incorporate alarm features. Instead of loud and abrupt alarms, these sleep masks use vibration and light to simulate a natural sunrise and wake you up gradually.
- Light therapy. Some sleep masks claim to have the power to cure jet lag. While you snooze away, these masks emit special light that helps your body adjust to a different time zone more smoothly.
- Anti-snoring. These sleep masks can detect when the person starts snoring and send gentle vibrations to promote the adjustment of throat muscles, reducing snoring without interrupting sleep.
- Connectivity and app integration. Many smart sleep masks can be connected to a smartphone or other devices via Bluetooth or Wifi. This allows you to access additional features, adjust settings and analyze sleep data through dedicated mobile apps.
- Comfort and customization. Sleep masks are designed to be comfortable, with soft materials and adjustable straps to fit different head sizes. But some smart sleep masks offer a whole new level of sophistication. Some models offer customized settings to personalize the sleep experience, such as light, temperature, and airflow. Others have massaging functions and promise to get rid of headaches and dark circles.
- Extra weight. Most sleep masks are usually made to be lightweight, but some are intentionally heavier. These heavier sleep masks are designed to give you extra pressure and create a soothing feeling while you wear them.
Ways smart sleep masks can improve sleep
Smart sleep masks do more than just cover our eyes to block out light. They come packed with advanced features that take our sleep experience to the next level.
Some sleep masks have built-in sensors that can measure physiological data like eye movement, breathing, and heart rate.
These measurements can give you a better understanding of your sleep patterns and sleep quality. This information allows you to make smarter choices and tweak your sleep habits to improve your snooze time.
More than just monitoring sleep, smart sleep masks ensure you have the most delightful snooze possible.
Let’s say you have a sleep mask with Bluetooth connection. All you have to do is connect it to your smartphone and you’re all set. Start playing some soothing tunes specifically designed to help you relax. Studies have shown that listening to calming music can boost the quality of your sleep.
Risks of using a smart sleep mask
While smart sleep masks offer numerous benefits, it’s essential to be aware of potential risks that may come with their usage.
Smart sleep masks are a relatively new technology, so there isn't much information on their downsides. But they will likely cause the same issues as regular sleep masks, like allergic reactions, blurry vision, and infections.
To tackle these problems, choose smart masks made with hypoallergenic materials and make sure to keep them clean and away from any moisture.
Sleep masks equipped with sleep trackers can help provide valuable insights into your sleep patterns and guide decisions about your sleep habits. However, some people may become overly fixated on achieving the "perfect" sleep, which can negatively affect sleep quality and mental well-being.
That's why seeking advice from a healthcare professional when using these devices is essential. They can guide you to strike the right balance and maintain a healthy approach to sleep tracking for optimal sleep.
Also, some sleep masks use light therapy to improve sleep quality. However, sensitive individuals or people with medical conditions may experience minor discomfort when exposed to the emitted light. If that’s your case, check with your doctor before using this type of sleep mask.
Smart sleep masks are great for promoting better sleep quality and enhancing your overall sleep experience. But just like any intervention, it's important to be aware of the potential risks involved. So make sure to select a model that best suits your needs, and get ready for a restful night's sleep.
- Matter. Multimodal Smart Eyewear for Longitudinal Eye Movement Tracking.
- Brazilian Journal of Psychiatry. Mind-body interventions for the treatment of insomnia: a review.
- Nature and Science of Sleep. The Tale of Orthosomnia: I Am so Good at Sleeping that I Can Do It with My Eyes Closed and My Fitness Tracker on Me.